Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in the market to add an extra layer of protection to my Model 3 but not sure which one to get. Has anyone used Xpel clear Bra or Opticoat?? If so who would you recommend to have it installed if you live in MD/VA/DC. Current prices I received was $2299 Xpel and Opticoat was $1299 from places in VA.

Sorry let me rephrase 2299 for the xpel ultimate package to wrap the whole car, and 1299 for the opticoat for the whole car.

Wow that is a great price. Here in south east michigan one well known installer (and referred by others on Tesla forums) quoted me $2400 for xpel for just the front (bumper, fender and full hood) and 1200 for partial hood, partial fender and bumpers. I may have to shop around I guess.

I am in the market to add an extra layer of protection to my Model 3 but not sure which one to get. Has anyone used Xpel clear Bra or Opticoat?? If so who would you recommend to have it installed if you live in MD/VA/DC. Current prices I received was $2299 Xpel and Opticoat was $1299 from places in VA.

GRTMOM,

To answer your question, we'll need to figure out what kind of protection you actually want. If you want to stop rocks, scratches, and more, then XPEL is the way to go as ceramic coatings do not stop rock chips or scratches really. If you just want ease of maintenance and hydrophobic properties, then a ceramic coating is the way to go.

If you haven't seen it yet, check out this video to see the harsh testing we put our film through. XPEL ULTIMATE PLUS Video

For the MD/VA/DC area, please visit our XPEL Certified Installer Locator here - Installer Locator - XPEL Be sure to call a couple and if you can, go to their shop firsthand so you can not only judge their workmanship, but their customer service quality.

When you say XPEL price is $2,299. How much coverage is that? Typical Tesla coverage is the Full Front End (Full hood, full front fenders, front bumper, headlights, and mirrors - $1,895 - $2,195) and then sometimes that plus the rocker panels which can add $400-600.

Hope this info helps, let us know if we can answer any other questions or help in any way.

GRTMOM,

To answer your question, we'll need to figure out what kind of protection you actually want. If you want to stop rocks, scratches, and more, then XPEL is the way to go as ceramic coatings do not stop rock chips or scratches really. If you just want ease of maintenance and hydrophobic properties, then a ceramic coating is the way to go.

If you haven't seen it yet, check out this video to see the harsh testing we put our film through. XPEL ULTIMATE PLUS Video

For the MD/VA/DC area, please visit our XPEL Certified Installer Locator here - Installer Locator - XPEL Be sure to call a couple and if you can, go to their shop firsthand so you can not only judge their workmanship, but their customer service quality.

When you say XPEL price is $2,299. How much coverage is that? Typical Tesla coverage is the Full Front End (Full hood, full front fenders, front bumper, headlights, and mirrors - $1,895 - $2,195) and then sometimes that plus the rocker panels which can add $400-600.

Hope this info helps, let us know if we can answer any other questions or help in any way.
How much is a typical XPEL price for the full car?

Wow that is a great price. Here in south east michigan one well known installer (and referred by others on Tesla forums) quoted me $2400 for xpel for just the front (bumper, fender and full hood) and 1200 for partial hood, partial fender and bumpers. I may have to shop around I guess.

Just to let you know I had the Xpel partial added to my car....I talked to a retired expert in the field, and he told me "It is all you need", I can tell you, it is really all that is needed to keep the bugs from sticking and its well worth it

• Informative
Reactions: melius
Just to let you know I had the Xpel partial added to my car....I talked to a retired expert in the field, and he told me "It is all you need", I can tell you, it is really all that is needed to keep the bugs from sticking and its well worth it

Thanks. So partial hood and partial fender plus bumper? I wondered if that would mean a line across the hood and how that would both look and if it would cause the film to curl up over time. Sounds like you have a 2017 model, so has it been good for the past year and half? Also is there a particular firm you liked for xpel application?

How much is a typical XPEL price for the full car?

Typical pricing for a full car would be in the $6,500 - $9,500 range depending on labor rates, prep time, and some other factors. However, for a Tesla, we do recommend doing the full front end and rocker panel package. This starts around $2,395 and includes the full hood and full fenders, front bumper, headlights, side mirrors, and rocker panel areas including behind the rear wheel. Doing this package will result in wrapped edges and no major lines across body lines so the wrap will be virtually invisible.

I went with XPEL on bumpers, lights, and mirrors, and then paint correction and Opticoat on the rest of the car.

While this combination does not give complete protection, it does and has protected the most critical areas for highway rock/bug debris. If total cost was not a factor then I would have chosen full car wrap. But at my budget and pricing of installers out here in So Cal I've found this to be an excellent combination for my needs - I was all in at $1300.

I went with XPEL on bumpers, lights, and mirrors, and then paint correction and Opticoat on the rest of the car.

While this combination does not give complete protection, it does and has protected the most critical areas for highway rock/bug debris. If total cost was not a factor then I would have chosen full car wrap. But at my budget and pricing of installers out here in So Cal I've found this to be an excellent combination for my needs - I was all in at $1300.
Please PM me where you got this done. That is very cheap for what you got.

Thanks. So partial hood and partial fender plus bumper? I wondered if that would mean a line across the hood and how that would both look and if it would cause the film to curl up over time. Sounds like you have a 2017 model, so has it been good for the past year and half? Also is there a particular firm you liked for xpel application?

It's the clear film, the partial application covers a portion of the mirrors (another bug catching spot), the front edge of the fender and hood and the bumper...If your not looking for it, you would not notice it on the car... The only thing that highlights the line is when the edge gets dust on it, and I can notice it...but a short squirt with the water hose, and its gone

Good morning, if you go to Opti-Coat Pro Coatings | Opti-Coat LLC and enter your zip code you can find Authorized Installers located around your area for Opti-coat. I know we have quite a few in that area.

If that is price for front only xpel that is somewhat pricey ..normally front in the 1200-1700 range ...the opticoat price is also about 200 more than normal unless that includes paint correction

Optimum has recently raised the minimum prices for Pro+. So it is now $1299 minimum to do Pro+