Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

XPEL Wrap worth it, probably trading in 3 years

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a quote of $6500 for a bumper to bumper XPEL Ultimate wrap, including seat backs. I asked a different question about price in a separate thread. My question here:

Is a paint protection film worth it if I'm just going to use Tesla's buyback guarantee in 3 years to get a new Tesla? I don't see Tesla giving me more money just because I wrapped the car. I also have a hard time imagining that 3 years, or about 50,000 miles, would justify an annual expense of over $2000 to protect the paint.

Any thoughts?

Well, I'm pretty sure you're right that Tesla won't pay any more. Private parties might - but they might not, too.

If you're convinced you'll be selling/trading in that time frame, you may well be right that the value proposition is all out of whack - depending on how important the bright shiny paint is to you. :)

I'm waffling on this point myself - but I have a while to figure it out before they get around to giving me a car, and no intention to sell anytime soon - unless something irresistible comes up in the AP realm after my X shows up, of course.

I did it but I also plan on keeping the car for longer than that. If I was going to trade it in after 3 years I probably wouldn't have done it. I'd probably look at just doing the front part of the car which would be significantly cheaper and will help with the stuff that commonly hits the front of the car.

Keep in mind that I just got my car back from getting the full XPEL wrap done, and when I did they said that I should wax it every 3 months or use a sealant every 6-8 months. It's not that much to have that done at most places (around $50), but that does add more to the cost. Just something to keep in mind.

• Informative
Reactions: MTOman
Well, I'm pretty sure you're right that Tesla won't pay any more. Private parties might - but they might not, too.

If you're convinced you'll be selling/trading in that time frame, you may well be right that the value proposition is all out of whack - depending on how important the bright shiny paint is to you. :)

I'm waffling on this point myself - but I have a while to figure it out before they get around to giving me a car, and no intention to sell anytime soon - unless something irresistible comes up in the AP realm after my X shows up, of course.
I will almost definitely be trading in 3 years. I love new technology, and seeing how far tesla has come in 3 years with Model S enhancements, I can only imagine where the Model X will be.
We just turned in my wife's Leaf after a 3 year lease. Because of the advancement in battery capacity in just 3 years, and still overall low demand for electric cars, the Leaf's residual value was WAY lower than what Nissan had anticipated. We made out like bandits on that lease. This makes me think something similar could happen with the Model X. But yeah, this type of stuff is always a gamble.