Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yakima Rack?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this is a shot in the dark, but I have a full Yakima rack set up. They have not designed the BaseClip yet for the Model Y, but do have the BC173 for the Model 3. With winter on our doorstep, I am trying to figure out my ski rack options.

Does anyone have an opinion on whether the roof designs for the 3 and Y are comparable enough to the point that something designed for the 3 might work for the Y?

I suspect no, but doesn’t hurt to ask.

Thanks.

Hey, FYI, the Tesla OEM rack is actually made by Yakima. They are not allowed to market it independently. The primary issue with the Model Y is the glass roof. I just installed it this weekend. There are for hidden receivers under the glass roof that you need to finagle a curved-L shaped metal piece into that then projects an integrated threaded bolt end vertically. This goes through the feet and towers, and then you bolt them all together.

This is how they get it so that the glass isn't taking any real load from whatever you put on your bars. It's also how they make it super aerodynamic so that its impact on range and wind noise is reduced.

Anyway, from speaking to Yakima customer service, I got the impression that they are never going to have any public-facing products for the Model Y due to the licensing arrangement w/ Tesla.

As for fitting your Model 3 product on a Y, if it doesn't put load on the glass roof then it may be ok. While the Y is clearly designed to take load in this particular way with these "L-bolt-clip" things, I doubt that the Model Y's metal roof edge is any less solid than the 3's. If it is narrower however and that results in load on the glass that wouldn't be on glass on a Model 3, then I'd personally be weary.