Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yakima SkyBox 16 Roof Cargo Box

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My first 1000+mile road trip for the Skybox 16. On highways, I set AP to 70-75 mph and occasionally passing people at 80-90+. This is on Performance with 19 inch Gemini wheels/tires.

Not the most efficient, but enough to make a single leg 220 mile drive (95% down to 10%)
4503DA42-D788-489C-9DCB-E1005D4EA0FD.jpeg

Reactions: Noflash
Anyone recommend any other cargo boxes or is the consensus that the skybox 16 is the go-to?
I would look at the Yakima grand tour. No figment issues like the skybox can have, looks to be designed for 3/Y. More expensive but I like the shape and look better, and it looks like it sit slightly lower to the bars compared to skybox. See a few posts back. Getting mine delivered this Friday.

Reactions: mT3Silvia
I would look at the Yakima grand tour. No figment issues like the skybox can have, looks to be designed for 3/Y. More expensive but I like the shape and look better, and it looks like it sit slightly lower to the bars compared to skybox. See a few posts back. Getting mine delivered this Friday.

Post some efficiency numbers. I’ll be interested if it’s more aerodynamic.

Btw, I’m still not sure why the Skybox didn’t fit for you. Oh well.

Post some efficiency numbers. I’ll be interested if it’s more aerodynamic.

Btw, I’m still not sure why the Skybox didn’t fit for you. Oh well.
I never had skybox, and my friend actually uses one for his model y. Ive just seen a few people post that it barely fits, depends out how you installed your rack it seems.

and maybe I’m just being nerdy with liking the look of it much better than the skybox.

I actually don’t have my MYP yet, get it January hopefully. Will post once I take it on a few trips.

Bought the Yakima SkyBox 16 Roof Box and drove to San Diego with it. Wind noise wasn't too bad.

The SkyBox 16 barely fits the Y. You have to completely extend the mounting hooks and they just barely reach.

The drive was about 95 miles and I averaged 75 mph. Lost about 150 miles of range.

Overall pretty happy with it.
I have tried the skybox 16 on my Y & it did not fit. I going to try the skybox 18, hopefully, the clamp will go all the way around the Tesla factory roof rack bar.

I never had skybox, and my friend actually uses one for his model y. Ive just seen a few people post that it barely fits, depends out how you installed your rack it seems.

and maybe I’m just being nerdy with liking the look of it much better than the skybox.

I actually don’t have my MYP yet, get it January hopefully. Will post once I take it on a few trips.
The Tesla rack mounting points are fixed. The only adjustments are the Skybox clamp positions. Just adjust it to allow rear hatch to open fully then you’re set.

Reactions: NHK X
I ordered the skybox18 hopefully that one will work.
GrandTour 16

Just asking, but I see the price differential between the skybox 16 and grand tour 16 as $100, the grand tour seems to be specifically targeted toward the model 3/y customer base looking at the photos on the website. What’s making you stick so closely with the skybox?

I think with the skybox 18 you will potentially run into issues with the back end being too long and the trunk bumping into the cargo box when opening.

Reactions: alnmurray
GrandTour 16

Just asking, but I see the price differential between the skybox 16 and grand tour 16 as $100, the grand tour seems to be specifically targeted toward the model 3/y customer base looking at the photos on the website. What’s making you stick so closely with the skybox?

I think with the skybox 18 you will potentially run into issues with the back end being too long and the trunk bumping into the cargo box when opening.
I really do not have a preference for the Skybox model. I'm open to any manufacturer box that I can put stuff in, no skis or snowboards, that will fit my Y. I've limited information on what to get & I saw a youtube video that indicated the Skybox will fit. So, I went with that. REI was the only local store that did not charge shipping of a bulk item & allows for an easy no-cost return if it did not fit. The sales rep said there was no Thule box for my Y. But he said the Skybox 16 & 18 is recommended for my Y. I've tried the Skybox 16 & a set of clamps did not go around the factory rack. So, on Dec 5 the Skybox 18 will arrive so, I see if the clamps on that box will work. I heard from another user this box will clear the rear hatch but will sit about 12 inches forward.

There must be a newer version of the skybox 16 clamp. I got my box in November 2020 and it fits my Model Y with Tesla rack perfectly.
They very well have. Here is a picture of my bad fit. The store agents tried many different ways but, no go. I was tempted to Dremel the slide holes a little longer so the clamps can move forward more, but I was told it would void the warranty.

Attachments

• Skybox 16 clamp failure.jpg
    Skybox 16 clamp failure.jpg
    467.5 KB · Views: 303
  • Informative
They very well have. Here is a picture of my bad fit. The store agents tried many different ways but, no go. I was tempted to Dremel the slide holes a little longer so the clamps can move forward more, but I was told it would void the warranty.
Look up Yakima manual on how to adjust the clamp position. Mine is the same clamp and fully clamped on with the rear hatch fully able to open.

GrandTour 16

Glossy vs. Matte finish is what I can see. They’re marketing the grand tour with a premium finish that matches our “premium Tesla” :p

I am using an older Thule Ascent 1100 box. My use case is mainly for skis, so the box is long. The Y lets you adjust the opening height of the trunk liftgate, so that it doesn't hit the box. You just manually adjust where you want the liftgate to stop and hold the liftgate close button for 3 seconds until you hear a chime.

There must be a newer version of the skybox 16 clamp. I got my box in November 2020 and it fits my Model Y with Tesla rack perfectly.

Today, I went to pick up my Yakima Skybox 18 and I was all smiles after it was placed on the Tesla Roof rack & the cargo box fit. :D:D When I open the rear hatch it does touch the box slightly & bounce back a 1/2 inch. 🙁I think there is a way to adjust the hack so it does not hit the cargo box at all.
Now I'm moving on to the next issue. How to determine when I have the maximum amount of weight in the box which I believe is 100 #.

Attachments

• My Yakima Skybox18 rearview on 2021 Model Y.jpg
    My Yakima Skybox18 rearview on 2021 Model Y.jpg
    529.2 KB · Views: 318
  • My Yakima Skybox18 sideview on 2021 Model Y.jpg
    My Yakima Skybox18 sideview on 2021 Model Y.jpg
    512.7 KB · Views: 291
Reactions: Noflash and NHK X
Today, I went to pick up my Yakima Skybox 18 and I was all smiles after it was placed on the Tesla Roof rack & the cargo box fit. :D:D When I open the rear hatch it does touch the box slightly & bounce back a 1/2 inch. 🙁I think there is a way to adjust the hack so it does not hit the cargo box at all.
Now I'm moving on to the next issue. How to determine when I have the maximum amount of weight in the box which I believe is 100 #.
Nice glad it works well for you!

Mine should get delivered tmr, but here is a photo from Reddit to show side profile of the grand tour 16 for comparison.

Attachments

• 37A25956-4775-4299-A673-B18840D0C90C.jpeg
    37A25956-4775-4299-A673-B18840D0C90C.jpeg
    439.2 KB · Views: 343
Reactions: alnmurray
When I open the rear hatch it does touch the box slightly & bounce back a 1/2 inch. 🙁I think there is a way to adjust the hack so it does not hit the cargo box at all.
Manually adjust the liftgate to the point you want it to stop. Press and hold the button on the liftgate that closes it for 3 seconds until you hear a chime. Now the liftgate will stop at that position when opened.

I had been pricing the Yakima Skybox 16 and found that Backcountry would give me a 20% discount but I'd have to pay for shipping. Some local stores were out of stock. Also some of the vendors increased the price from $599 to $679 after the new year. I found Nissan OEM Parts Direct had it on sale for $496.16. When I called they said to call my local Nissan dealers even though this was for my Model 3. The first dealer said they would not match the price but the second one said they would. They ordered it, it came the next day and I only paid $496.16. The person in parts helped me mount it. If you are in the market, you might want to try this to get a good price.

Reactions: NikolaTs