Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y 2021 Cargo box

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The stock Tesla rack has little J hooks that lock into a metal bracket under the glass roof. Next time I re-rack - I’ll snap a photo. I’m pretty sure the rubber feet are on the metal roof rail… so the pressure is applied from the J hook through the rack and then squeezed down onto the metal roof rail.

The stock Tesla rack has little J hooks that lock into a metal bracket under the glass roof. Next time I re-rack - I’ll snap a photo. I’m pretty sure the rubber feet are on the metal roof rail… so the pressure is applied from the J hook through the rack and then squeezed down onto the metal roof rail.
Yeah they are on the car roof rail but I’ve seen some that the feet edge touch a little of the glass. Saw 4 Ys today two there front bar feet was touching the glass as well as the cars roof rail but their back bars weren’t. Other two all 4 roof bar feet we touching the glass a little bit as well. Seems to be no consistency. I know the metal hooks under the glass that they lock in. That’s straight forward. I did that no issue but when torquing down part of the foot pads start to touch the glass ever so little.

Gotcha. The torque value is soo low… it makes me nervous, but on the flip side - I will torque to their values to save my glass roof. Never had any issues so far. Bikes, cargo boxes, lumber, oars, many many items up there. Lots of river boat NRS straps.

Gotcha. The torque value is soo low… it makes me nervous, but on the flip side - I will torque to their values to save my glass roof. Never had any issues so far. Bikes, cargo boxes, lumber, oars, many many items up there. Lots of river boat NRS straps.
that’s good to hear! I have an appointment anyways for them to fix my steering wheel and alignment from factory next week so I’m just gonna have them put the bars on at least the first time and then I will do it from then on

I just installed my factory Tesla rack. It does not touch the glass at all.
429FA0EB-FBBD-4851-9E03-01994889382A.jpeg
D59978A9-350A-4D8B-A775-C6666A0047C7.jpeg

View attachment 737481Yakima Skybox 16 on Tesla racks by Yakima.

View attachment 737480
mT3Silvia, I noticed your first image had "Yakima Skybox 16" showing on the UI screengrab... I'm curious (and may also have a different software version) if that's the name you temporarily gave your car or if you're able to input what kind of cargo box you have mounted for more accurate range estimates? Hopefully, it's the latter.

mT3Silvia, I noticed your first image had "Yakima Skybox 16" showing on the UI screengrab... I'm curious (and may also have a different software version) if that's the name you temporarily gave your car or if you're able to input what kind of cargo box you have mounted for more accurate range estimates? Hopefully, it's the latter.
I believe the Yakima *** is what s/he named the trip stats, not the car.

• Informative
Reactions: Oil Freedom