Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Close call with Autosteer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a close call with Autosteer the other day on my brand new MYLR (2023 Canadian Version). I was using it on the road with my wife and my infant daughter. Everything was going well when suddenly the car veered to the right onto the other lane without warning. Luckily, I had my hands on the steering wheel and was able to correct this. There wasn't any traffic adjacent to me or anything on the road so I'm not sure what caused this to steer to the right suddenly.

Wife refuses to use autopilot with autosteer now. Here is the video of the incident. Is it worth notifying Tesla?
Thanks

• Disagree
Reactions: OxBrew and EVNow
You dont have FSD, you have autopilot with Autosteer. Its ment for controlled access highways. You are driving on a street with signals on it.

Autosteer​

Warning
Autosteer is a hands-on feature. Keep your hands on the steering wheel at all times, be mindful of road conditions and surrounding traffic, and always be prepared to take immediate action. Failure to follow these instructions could cause damage, serious injury or death.
Warning
Autosteer is intended for use on controlled-access highways with a fully attentive driver. Do not use Autosteer in construction zones, or in areas where bicyclists or pedestrians may be present.
Warning
Never depend on Autosteer to determine an appropriate driving path.
CAUTION
Autosteer and its associated functions are particularly unlikely to operate as intended when:
  • Autosteer is unable to accurately determine lane markings. For example, lane markings are excessively worn, have visible previous markings, have been adjusted due to road construction, are changing quickly (lanes branching off, crossing over, or merging), objects or landscape features are casting strong shadows on the lane markings, or the road surface contains pavement seams or other high-contrast lines.
  • Visibility is poor (heavy rain, snow, fog, etc.) or weather conditions are interfering with sensor operation.
  • A camera(s) or sensor(s) is obstructed, covered, or damaged.
  • Driving on hills.
  • Approaching a toll booth.
  • Driving on a road that has sharp curves or is excessively rough.
  • Bright light (such as direct sunlight) is interfering with the view of the camera(s).
  • The sensors (if equipped) are affected by other electrical equipment or devices that generate ultrasonic waves.
  • A vehicle is detected in your blind spot when you engage the turn signal.
  • Model Y is being driven very close to a vehicle in front of it, which is blocking the view of the camera(s).
Warning
Many unforeseen circumstances can impair the operation of Autosteer. Always keep this in mind and remember that as a result, Autosteer may not steer Model Y appropriately. Always drive attentively and be prepared to take immediate action.
Warning
Autosteer is not designed to, and will not, steer Model Y around objects partially in a driving lane and in some cases, may not stop for objects that are completely blocking the driving lane. Always watch the road in front of you and stay prepared to take immediate action. It is the driver's responsibility to be in control of Model Y at all times.

There wasn't any traffic adjacent to me or anything on the road so I'm not sure what caused this to steer to the right suddenly.

Thanks
You don’t have to look very hard to see what caused it.

IMG_1333.jpeg

Last edited:
How is changing lanes with no other traffic around considered a close call? I understand that you were startled and took control, but I saw nothing to indicate you were in any danger. The lane the car moved into ended soon, but the car would have merged back into the left lane.

And using Autosteer on secondary roads is not recommended.

I had a close call with Autosteer the other day on my brand new MYLR (2023 Canadian Version). I was using it on the road with my wife and my infant daughter. Everything was going well when suddenly the car veered to the right onto the other lane without warning. Luckily, I had my hands on the steering wheel and was able to correct this. There wasn't any traffic adjacent to me or anything on the road so I'm not sure what caused this to steer to the right suddenly.

Wife refuses to use autopilot with autosteer now. Here is the video of the incident. Is it worth notifying Tesla?
Thanks
@Im_Butters , you are using autopilot’s auto steer beta option in wrong driving environment. Not worth telling tesla about. I use it exclusively on freeways In USA. Works very well.

Reactions: SO16
You don’t have to look very hard to see what caused it.

View attachment 996479

I've had the exact same thing happen - consistently and rather violently in a similar spot around a gentle LH curve. It loudly squawks then disengages after jerking about halfway into the right lane. Secondary highway with 45 mph speed limit.

It appears to interpret those lines as indicating the lane suddenly veers to the right, tries to follow them then errors when it can't. It's an obvious bug and should be filtered as a N/A road marking for the context, as it already does many other markings in intersections.

In the same spot my '21 Kia with LKA enabled continues in its lane as it should. There's a little light in the Kia that turns from green to white when it's unsure of the lane lines. I'll have to watch that light when next passing through there with cruise on.

I've had the exact same thing happen - consistently and rather violently in a similar spot around a gentle LH curve. It loudly squawks then disengages after jerking about halfway into the right lane. Secondary highway with 45 mph speed limit.

It appears to interpret those lines as indicating the lane suddenly veers to the right, tries to follow them then errors when it can't. It's an obvious bug and should be filtered as a N/A road marking for the context, as it already does many other markings in intersections.

In the same spot my '21 Kia with LKA enabled continues in its lane as it should. There's a little light in the Kia that turns from green to white when it's unsure of the lane lines. I'll have to watch that light when next passing through there with cruise on.
The other systems do less. If unsure, they keep on barreling ahead forward and make everything your problem. Tesla system will attempt to interpret more and do more, but occasionally that's a problem too. Generally even old Autopilot can go around higher curvature than other car lane-keep assist systems (which will suddenly fail dangerously), meaning they are more attentive to picking up curving lane markers, but that has the downside that they are attentive to lane markers when humans somehow know they should be ignored like in the OP's video.

FSDbeta is better at this, but still can have trouble at more complex intersections and I tend to be ready or prematurely drive manually unless I have experience it works well at a specific location.

Long term a fleet intelligence system which, if GPS were very accurate, could learn what human drivers specifically are most likely to do at every intersection but that would require a major programming effort and back end real time mapping databases. Elon is naively down on maps.

Most importantly, the car wouldn’t have done that if another car was next to you, I don’t think. So I don’t believe safety was ever an issue. But there is an intersection on a road that I drive on frequently, and, like another poster has said, I’m just now in the habit of grabbing the wheel and disengaging through that intersection. Then I turn auto pilot back on as soon as I’m through it. You get used to things like that, if you’re not on real highways. I do use autosteer frequently on many secondary roads, but I pay attention.

Last edited:
Reactions: fholbert