Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yoke Steering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In addition to not being able to let the wheel unwind through your grip in low speed 90 degree turns, enthusiastic drifting would seem to be impossible with the yoke. skip past the intro and watch the steering wheel handiwork of the drifters.

actually I've found that it's quite easy to let the wheel unwind in your hands once you accept that it's not round. Just let your hands rest on it and keep your forearms loose. Feel free to disagree glide, lol.

Reactions: M3LA and Hayseed_MS
Let me guess: you want people to know where their wheels are pointed?

I think you were arguing against two different things and then combined them. I didn’t see anyone arguing that the wheel slides through your grip is a way to draft. I don’t care about drifting.

What I did describe is that for common slow intersection turns, or coming out of a parking space turn, switching between yoke and wheel cars made me realize that with a wheel I typically execute that turn in a way that gives me precise and quick and good leverage ability to make steering corrections as the wheel re centers itself as it slides through my grip and I modulate the speed of the re-centering by applying, or releasing the grip.

For me, this works and further keeps my arm in one position from which I can have maximum leverage to apply a steering correction in either direction. If I did the granny shuffle, or worse the hand over hand getting arms cross wise, at some points in the turn my arms would be in non-optimal positions to have leverage and purchase on the wheel/yoke to make fast steering corrections as needed. Keeping my arm relatively still, while sensing the speed and force of the wheel sliding through it gives me perfect information about wheel/tire position and the ability to execute steering corrections from a position of maximum leverage and force and follow-through.
Update.

I recant in full.

The yoke is fine and i even prefer it. It just took a while to get used to it and now the ability to push on the corners, levering the wheel around, seems easier for most driving situations..

For those of you who think your hands can follow the yoke when cornering, have a look at this. If I ever have to do any emergency steering I hope you're not in my way.
I've done moose tests on BMW trainings. Taking over the wheel would be a fail. The idea is to NOT over-react the car, and you can't do that when you're spinning the wheel like the Price is Right.

For those of you who think your hands can follow the yoke when cornering, have a look at this. If I ever have to do any emergency steering I hope you're not in my way.
I had a look at it, if you watch, his hands never leave the wheel. A bit over 180° of movement. This seems to show the yoke would be fine. Also proves the point that cranking in 180° of steering input at 40 mph gives you pretty dramatic direction change. At 60 mph it be a classic example of overcorrecting and most likely a crash. The yolk is a bit of a pain in town doing tight 180’s You get used to it pretty soon. At freeway speeds I don’t see how it can really make a difference in any emergency maneuvers.

I don't know of anyone more qualified to have an opinion on using the yoke.

1679485300842.png