Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yoke Steering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeh driving staight on the autobahn or freeways the yoke is fine, except you can't occasionally use your leg to hold car staraight like we all do at times. The problen is really daily driving and having to look at yoke to find blinker and horn image. And that stupic little car image you need to flick fwd and back to shift. IMO the yoke could be dealt with if there were normal stocks for blinkers and shifting plus horn under airbag. Sold the yoke S and got a 3

Yeh driving staight on the autobahn or freeways the yoke is fine, except you can't occasionally use your leg to hold car staraight like we all do at times. The problen is really daily driving and having to look at yoke to find blinker and horn image. And that stupic little car image you need to flick fwd and back to shift. IMO the yoke could be dealt with if there were normal stocks for blinkers and shifting plus horn under airbag. Sold the yoke S and got a 3
Look at the yoke to find turn indicators? Why?

Look, there are racecar drivers that don't like the yoke, there are racecar drivers who do. The experience of driving an F1 car with a yoke has basically zero to do with driving a Tesla with one. High speed, low speed, rotary, parallel parking etc. after I adapted to the yoke I have no problem with any of those. The turn indicators are awesome, my thumb knows high is right, low is left, there's no other place my thumb can touch, no need to look or shift my hand position. The horn I admit I don't use often enough to muscle memory the location. Maybe if it was right next to the right thumb but probably too many false positives for that location. Please just put it back on the airbag. I once joked that I could drive it with a box end wrench on the spline, I mean it wouldn't be ideal, but I could do it.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
Exactly my point, he is an expert who is probably used to half steering wheels not using them for daily function on the street. I don’t think anyone has ever argued about the usability on the track.
I have (argued about usability on the track) - it’s absolute shite.

In my Plaid, as I believe is the case in all refresh Model S & X, it takes more than 2 full 360° turns to go from lock-to-lock, so countersteering a massive oversteer even is an absolute disaster with this yoke. Much prefer a wheel even for the track in case there is a need to do a big correction.

With a total of 180° or even 270° lock-to-lock, it’s much easier to control a proper race car’s yoke on the track, as your hands never have to leave 9-and-3 position.

Exactly my point, he is an expert who is probably used to half steering wheels not using them for daily function on the street. I don’t think anyone has ever argued about the usability on the track.
The track, and especially any drifting, is exactly where the yoke was criticized.. Read the other threads and probably this one.

I don't know of anyone more qualified to have an opinion on using the yoke.

View attachment 920105

1679585094586.png

LOOK, someone that likes the yoke!

Adding my 2¢, 1 week in. Loving the yoke. Not a professional driver but used to sporty cars. Never tracked a day in my life. Always reverse park. Got lost a couple of times with u turns, as getting used to new satnav. But no real issues for me. Can’t say it’s better or worse than a steering wheel. Yes I look at the indicator buttons, but found myself just pressing them without looking yesterday so assume the muscle memory is taking hold. Biggest shift for me was 1 pedal driving. Absolutely fine with it now, but there was a bit of a learning curve.

I guess there is a lot to take in when you drive a Tesla for the first time, but I see it as a lot less of a shift as going from manual to auto. Which I have also done. Or left to right side driving.

Reactions: zoomer0056