Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your Tesla's value just dropped about 4-5k overnight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do touch the MCU for a few other things that I didn't specifically mention earlier (e.g. opening/closing the trunk, extending the door handles when I'm inside...
Pro hint ;), to extend door handles while inside, press the "Park" button again (or twice if you're still in Drive). Much faster than the screen (especially old MCU).

Speaking of which, if there's one bucket of owners who should feel "outraged" about this MCU upgrade, there's a strong case to be made that I belong in there being an owner who has only picked up my car 3 months ago. But when I asked myself, knowing everything that I do now, would I have done anything differently? The answer was no. I knew the risks coming in with Tesla constantly rolling out upgrades (known and unknown), I had determined that what it offered at the time was sufficient for my needs for the foreseeable future, and I was just determined to get a Tesla in 2017 come hell or high water. I ordered back in Oct' 17 and actually wished I could've picked the car the next day! Short of it, given the chance, I would've done exactly the same thing. Been enjoying the car so much since then that I really don't give a hoot about this whole MCU upgrade.
Of course. I don't think anyone should be getting outraged. If you already took delivery, deal is done. When we took delivery of our last Model S shortly thereafter glass roof and SAS became standard, as did 75 battery. I had 0 complaints (and not just because I didn't want the glass roof;)) - I got the car I ordered (sans auto-headlights, auto-wipers, EAB and camera based blind spot monitoring). The only car I got ripped off on was the P85D, I was told 691hp was coming via OTA, it never did - stock the car came with 463hp powertrain instead (23hp higher than 85D). Now, there I can see justified outrage, but even in my case I mostly got over it, but will always remember it, and never ever trust Tesla on anything "coming in the future", or on any specs not independently verified by people outside of Tesla.

If on the other hand you have not taken deliver, I don't see any reason why not exercise your right to re-order or negotiate some compensation for taking deliver of older hardware. Tesla leverages any business advantages when they can (try trading in a car), so why can't customers.

Last edited: