Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

YYZ airport parking - vampire drain in freezing cold

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I typically advocate for 120 volt outlets in places with long-term parking, this might not actually be useful when temperatures drop below -20C, as the amount of energy being provided by the outlet can't keep up with the amount of energy required to heat the pack up to a safe temperature for charging.

In our Model 3, I've noticed that the break-even point is right around -20C... below that and your state of charge will gradually go down even while plugged into a 120 volt outlet (at 12 amps).

I parked for 4 days at Ottawa airport, tempes were really cold ealy last week, pretty much always under - 20c
I plugged into 120v at airport and got around 3km/hr charge rate. When I got back it was full charge (120km added)

Happy to report, arrived back today with 49% battery.

So with temperatures ranging from -18 to +6 over the past week, the car drained 22% from 71% since last Friday (10 days). Not sure if it was temperature related, but the drain substantial slowed in the last 4 days.
Thanks for the info, and thanks for capturing everything based on %.

2.2% a day in what was a deep freeze until three day ago.