Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Zoom? [I didnt get zoom in the holiday update]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This won't be a helpful answer because I have not yet received an update (and since I'm in the FSD beta program, the update may not even come to me), but two questions:

1) Did you get the update yourself?
2) What did the release notes say about it?

This article shows it only available in MCU3 3/Y models (i.e. with Ryzen). Looking at your sig, that would only apply to your newer car. Is that the one that updated?

Reactions: jjrandorin
This article states that the holiday update includes Zoom:

Is it mistaken? If not, how do I access Zoom?

I recommend going by the release notes in your vehicle, vs whatever you might read online. The ones in your vehicle should be specific to your build, while online tends to talk about "everything". I do sometimes look at sites that have release notes so I can get an idea of whats out there, but I have no expectations about what might or might not arrive in my vehicle until I get whatever update it is myself.

This is one those things (like Steam as well) that is more a talking point than something that is going to be life changing. The actual use case is road warrior types (salespeople, people whose job is on the road all the time) and those people dont tend to need to be in a bunch of zoom meetings.

Anyone doing this likely has a smartphone and has taken those meetings on their smartphone already, so its just another Tesla software talking point other than something that is going to change how things are done (my opinion anyway). Could even backfire as it could be seen by co workers / whomever you are meeting with as a "humblebrag" about your tesla.

@PianoAl My model 3 (2018, with Hardware 3 but Atom processor) is in process of downloading the holiday update now. I checked the release notes in my app before I clicked "download" and they did not say anything at all about Zoom, so I am going to make an assumption that @pinetreek is correct, and thats why you dont see it.

According to “not a tesla app”, zoom is not available in Canada, which sucks. It would have been a very useful feature for me. Hopefully it will come to Canada soon. I can’t see why not (other than bureaucracy). Fingers crossed.
PS: As others said it requires Ryzen too
1671105531864.png

I'm not on the road all the time, but I do take Zoom meetings in my car sometimes. It's more than a talking point to me, because it's difficult and unsafe to fumble with the phone app to start a meeting while I'm driving. Unfortunately I have a 2018, so no joy for me.

Reactions: RTPEV
I'm not on the road all the time, but I do take Zoom meetings in my car sometimes. It's more than a talking point to me, because it's difficult and unsafe to fumble with the phone app to start a meeting while I'm driving. Unfortunately I have a 2018, so no joy for me.

You wouldnt be taking those meetings while driving now, either. Its in park only.

Nope. You get audio while driving. You only have to park for video.

That contradicts what articles I have read say about it, but these are the coming soon articles:

======================================

Concerns about the app’s use while driving are valid, though the companies did clarify in the recent announcement that calls will only be able to be received or sent while the vehicle is in park.

=======================================

So if you can either make or receive a call during driving, that contradicts what they said previously (although tesla contradicting itself is common).

That contradicts what articles I have read say about it, but these are the coming soon articles:

======================================

Concerns about the app’s use while driving are valid, though the companies did clarify in the recent announcement that calls will only be able to be received or sent while the vehicle is in park.

=======================================

So if you can either make or receive a call during driving, that contradicts what they said previously (although tesla contradicting itself is common).
Updated yesterday to 44.25.1 and I do have Zoom

Attachments

• 3D46501E-6793-4369-87F5-4E8D5BA4A740.png
    3D46501E-6793-4369-87F5-4E8D5BA4A740.png
    220.5 KB · Views: 340
  • F1284C59-D592-4129-A230-F853CBCD55F4.jpeg
    F1284C59-D592-4129-A230-F853CBCD55F4.jpeg
    356.9 KB · Views: 340
The release notes are in the app now also.

Ok, but that doesnt contradict what the article says either. It says that it will "switch to audio if you drive" which implies that, in order to drive with audio only, you had to have joined a meeting already. Someone will have to test it, but I see those notes as confirming what I originally said to @rdlink is correct, and that even with that feature no one is joining a meeting while driving. They would have to pull over, join the meeting, then start driving again to get auto only (thats how I read that).

Test it and let us know.

Ok, but that doesnt contradict what the article says either. It says that it will "switch to audio if you drive" which implies that, in order to drive with audio only, you had to have joined a meeting already. Someone will have to test it, but I see those notes as confirming what I originally said to @rdlink is correct, and that even with that feature no one is joining a meeting while driving. They would have to pull over, join the meeting, then start driving again to get auto only (thats how I read that).

Test it and let us know.
Actually it doesn't confirm what you originally said. The notes say that you tap the link to automatically start or join your meeting. It just says that Participant video and screen sharing are only visible while parked. Not that you have to park to start the meeting. It also says that the meeting will switch to audio-only if you drive. So that means IF you start a meeting while parked it will turn off the video when you drive.

Make video calls with Zoom using the interior cabin camera. If you have a Zoom meeting in your Calendar, tap the link to automatically start or join your meeting. Participant video and screen sharing are only visible while parked and will switch to audio-only if you drive. To access Zoom, tap Application Launcher > Zoom.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Actually it doesn't confirm what you originally said. The notes say that you tap the link to automatically start or join your meeting. It just says that Participant video and screen sharing are only visible while parked. Not that you have to park to start the meeting. It also says that the meeting will switch to audio-only if you drive. So that means IF you start a meeting while parked it will turn off the video when you drive.

Make video calls with Zoom using the interior cabin camera. If you have a Zoom meeting in your Calendar, tap the link to automatically start or join your meeting. Participant video and screen sharing are only visible while parked and will switch to audio-only if you drive. To access Zoom, tap Application Launcher > Zoom.

Now that you say that, I can definitely see reading it that way as well. Shrug. Someone will test it and let us know soon, I am guessing.

EDIT: Just saw the appropriate software update for my wifes car, which is a 2022 model Y with ryzen processor so it should be eligible for this. Zoom is in the release notes on my phone for this car and it wasnt on my 2018 model 3 release notes.

If no one else does, I will give it a shot testing this next week sometime.

Last edited:
Reactions: cmy4x4