Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Zoom? [I didnt get zoom in the holiday update]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe it's because I've been doing teleconferences for work for the past 25 years (transitioning to "video" conferences about 5-6 years ago when that technology became more pervasive), but the "fad" of seeing people's faces in a video meeting got old pretty quickly. Sure, for the types of meetings where you are dealing with customers where a personal connection is needed, that's one thing, but 95% of my meetings are with the same co-workers that I meet with every day/week, so we never have cameras on anyway. It's pretty much audio only except for when someone needs to do a screenshare.

There was a brief time when I actually got Google Meet working from the car's browser for those times when (mostly due to my poor planning) I needed to join a meeting from the car, with a minimum of input or distraction. My calendar would pop up (or otherwise be easily accessible from the UI at the time) and there was a "join meeting" link that I could actually click from the calendar entry that would launch the browser. At one point I think it actually got me all the way into the meeting, but with earlier and later software updates I did need to click one more button to have the meeting call my phone (which I then connected to via Bluetooth).

For most meetings, all that is really necessary (for me anyway) is a way to quickly and easily initiate the meeting. I don't care if it doesn't have video. An audio only connection is usually sufficient, I just need it to be easily accessible without fiddling with the phone.

Our old teleconference system actually had a feature whereby you could give it access to your company calendar (it was actually integrated in with the calendar system, so it didn't really "need" access) and all you had to do was call in to the main number and it would know which meeting to connect you to. But of course things have gotten too "fancy" for that kind of system nowadays!

Reactions: aerodyne
For most meetings, all that is really necessary (for me anyway) is a way to quickly and easily initiate the meeting. I don't care if it doesn't have video. An audio only connection is usually sufficient, I just need it to be easily accessible without fiddling with the phone.
Interesting that you say that, I’m also working with collaboration systems for more time that I want to admit, but my case is a little different, I have to share my screen a lot. However, that is not going to be possible with the app since I need to share my computer… and if I’m on the computer already, I can just use the car for audio. Long story short, you made me think about my scenario and for the most part it wont really help much.

Reactions: aerodyne
Can't you just call into a Zoom meeting with your phone already? It seems the "audio only" version of this feature has already existed for years. You just press the right scroll wheel and say "call 888 888 8888", or whatever the number is.

You could, but you would need to either do that before you start driving, or dangerously fumble with the keypad, or pull over, because joining meetings on all these platforms normally requires some sort of password be punched in etc.

If there is an audio option, and its on your calendar, sometimes you can click the audio only link because it has the embedded button presses for the meeting password in it, but just calling in the way you mention doesnt work unless the meeting has no password (and no one should be having ANY sort of online meeting without a password attached to it in 2022).

Last edited:
Also did not get Zoom or anything related to interior camera use in my release notes. 2018 on 2.5. Not too concerned about Zoom but would be good to remotely view interior camera.. bummer.
The interior camera bit seems to be based on HW3 (not Atom vs Ryzen) cause "view internal camera for dog mode" is in my release notes for my 2018 Model 3P, but it has HW3 due to me purchasing the FSD upgrade during the limited time price reduction on FSD in april of 2019.

The interior camera bit seems to be based on HW3 (not Atom vs Ryzen) cause "view internal camera for dog mode" is in my release notes for my 2018 Model 3P, but it has HW3 due to me purchasing the FSD upgrade during the limited time price reduction on FSD in april of 2019.
I figured that was the case. Maybe i'll take this through small claims court to get the free HW3 upgrade. 🤔