Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

£1400 MCU2/HW3 upgrade - no 4G.....?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

Last week I paid £1400 for the 'infotainment upgrade MCU2 - I somewhat expected to have 4G as part of this so that I had data connectivity matching that of the media upgrades (such as youtube, netflix etc). However whereas I used to pretty solidly have constant 3G before, I now have an almost solid LTE or occasional 3G. As a result, searching tunein or spotify frequently leads to an empty screen or spinning circle.

My Tesla originally was bought with the premium connectivity upgrade and AP1.

As part of the parts received on the invoice, I see:
MCU Intel HW3 Upgrade EU-AP
Rear View Camera HSD jumper
Antenna Bluetooth
SimCard 2G, 3G, M2M.

I also received a new touchscreen.

Seems odd that they do all that - MCU, Touchscreen, SIMcard but I don't get 4G.... What's worse is that I've gone from frequent 3G in my neighbourhood to LTE.

Additionally, I knew I would lose FM and AM but I don't seem to have any DAB either now. There is no 'radio' icon in the 'media' icons - although I can't actually remember if there was a 'radio' icon besides tunein before or not. Certainly if I search stations I get no DAB options at all.

Can anyone suggest if I could or do anything to try and get a better outcome? At the moment I am thinking of ringing the service centre and complaining that I have virtually no 3G and no DAB.... but not certain as to what I should have expected...

Thanks!

I think it’s the same as the US but 3G is slower then 4G came out and finally LTE replaced both. After LTE will be 5G but that’s coming to new Tesla vehicles soon one day.

So you were upgraded from 3G (very slow) to LTE (Fast) which is exactly what happens in the IS with the Infotainment Ugrade Package.

Ah thanks. I thought LTE was something like 2G, rather than 'better than 4G' which it sounds like you're saying.

I think tesla have made a minor boo-boo in that the page explaining the upgrade is a bit US-centric - meaning it only mentions FM, AM and Sirius. We don't have Sirius here, we have DAB (digital radio). They don't mention that, so you could say we didn't expect to lose it. ( Infotainment Upgrade )

DAB is very much a contemporary technology that I would expect any new car to have, and is definitely not a 'legacy' technology that many would consider AM and FM to be. So not mentioning it at all would lead many to assume it's unaffected.

However I think we could live without DAB if internet radio via tunein works properly. It seems searches for all music doesn't ever show a 'stations' results anymore (in our case internet radio stations via tunein) and so we can't find anything on tunein for radio.

My guess is that something in the software says 'you don't have the radio upgrade, so I'm not showing 'stations' results. Even though it clearly says on the page above that we will definitely have internet radio..

Last edited:
DAB is very much a contemporary technology that I would expect any new car to have, and is definitely not a 'legacy' technology that many would consider AM and FM to be. So not mentioning it at all would lead many to assume it's unaffected.
I am stunned that Tesla don't have DAB (I can't think of one new car that doesn't have it standard).
It can replace the need for AM or FM and would have been the ideal solution for those going from MCU1 > MCU2 and having to rely on streaming only afterwards.
However just to clarify, did the UK cars get DAB in MCU1's ?

Reactions: rickyjb
Ah thanks. I thought LTE was something like 2G, rather than 'better than 4G' which it sounds like you're saying.

I think tesla have made a minor boo-boo in that the page explaining the upgrade is a bit US-centric - meaning it only mentions FM, AM and Sirius. We don't have Sirius here, we have DAB (digital radio). They don't mention that, so you could say we didn't expect to lose it. ( Infotainment Upgrade )

However I think we could live without DAB if internet radio via tunein works properly. It seems searches for all music doesn't ever show a 'stations' results anymore (in our case internet radio stations via tunein) and so we can't find anything on tunein for radio.

My guess is that something in the software says 'you don't have the radio upgrade, so I'm not showing 'stations' results. Even though it clearly says on the page above that we will definitely have internet radio..
Tunein display radio stations correct name on the display is "local stations"

Well that is rather annoying to learn Europe got DAB and Aus missed out. DAB has been here since 2009, before the Model-S was released! I can't for the life of me think why they would enable it in Europe and not in another country where it was already a standard, surely the same hardware is all there? And this decision was made back when Tesla actually gave a s**t about customers.

Removal of AM, FM and DAB is a step backwards, I don't care what any phone obsessed millennial engineer at Tesla says.

My MCU1 had DAB but now I don't. It doesn't say anywhere I'd lose DAB.

But I also can't seem to search tunein for any stations we like either.

So I think it needs to go back in....

I'm afraid it does say you will lose DAB/FM/AM - from the FAQ's and main text;

Is anything removed with the Infotainment Upgrade?
Yes. You will no longer have access to AM, FM or DAB radio.

Infotainment Upgrade

I suspect somehow you have been looking at the US version of the page above.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SO16 and rickyjb
LTE (telecommunication) - Wikipedia
LTE is 4G (technically LTE Advanced is what would meet ITU definitions). Much more advanced than 3G or 2G. In the past some phone companies advertised HSPA+ as 4G, which is why they need LTE to differentiate from that.

From setting up my home receiver (which supports DAB in other countries), DAB uses the FM spectrum, so if you lose FM it follows you would lose DAB also. It's not supported in the US, so most people here in US would not know about it. Unfortunately you are right that the pages they have are likely US-centric.
Digital Audio Broadcasting - Wikipedia

I was told the LTE upgrade came with the MCU2 upgrade when they were trying to flog me the idea instead of a daughterboard swap?

Must have decided they want to recoup some of the ‘discount’ on the MCU swap now then. What a surprise.
Did they offer you a lower price than the standard £1400 (I think) for the MCU1-MCU2 if you took that rather than just the free daughterboard swap?

Our wifi, bluetooth and microphone function have all gone and the Tesla guy on the phone today reckons it needs a new memory chip. Going the whole hog to get MCU2 is quite tempting but £1400 is a lot of cash and given that its not that much extra labour it seems to me that Tesla could offer a discount to get something positive instead of getting nothing out of swapping the memory!

Did they offer you a lower price than the standard £1400 (I think) for the MCU1-MCU2 if you took that rather than just the free daughterboard swap?

Our wifi, bluetooth and microphone function have all gone and the Tesla guy on the phone today reckons it needs a new memory chip. Going the whole hog to get MCU2 is quite tempting but £1400 is a lot of cash and given that its not that much extra labour it seems to me that Tesla could offer a discount to get something positive instead of getting nothing out of swapping the memory!

Not for a minute trying to defend what is happening here, but £1,400 is already discounted from when I enquired - it was more like £2,300 then and at that point there wasn't any option to 'add' the radio module which, by the way, is another £500 on top of the current £1,400. If you want to end up with radio/DAB as well as the MCU2 update you need to think in terms of £1,900. Still loose AM either, if that has any value to you.

I was offered £500 for a new eMMC, £1,100 for a re-conditioned MCU1 (which could still fail at any point) or £2,300 for MCU2. Other than for the MCU2 option, upgrading 3G to LTE would be £470 in addition. I opted for the new eMMC, booked it in and waited. and waited... Eventually, Tesla cancelled my appointment saying that as my chip hadn't actually failed as yet, I had to wait until it did, as they were in short supply. "You can still have the upgrade if you want it though!"

Hi,
Must admit i am also confused by this as i have also read somewhere that mcu1 3g will be replaced with mcu2 to 4g/LTE. And yet, when i spoke to the service centre not so long ago to book the car in for the mcu2 upgrade, the person i spoke to said it would stay on 3g after the upgrade.
A user did respond to my post saying that our local service centre ( Bristol UK) is a nightmare and they dont have a clue. Doesnt inspire confidence at all.
Can anyone who had mcu2 upgrade on a 2014 MS 85 (in the UK) confirm that they did get LTE connectivity after the upgrade ? As YT and netflix on 3g will be pointless with our premium connectivity for life.
Thanks.

Hi,
Must admit i am also confused by this as i have also read somewhere that mcu1 3g will be replaced with mcu2 to 4g/LTE. And yet, when i spoke to the service centre not so long ago to book the car in for the mcu2 upgrade, the person i spoke to said it would stay on 3g after the upgrade.
A user did respond to my post saying that our local service centre ( Bristol UK) is a nightmare and they dont have a clue. Doesnt inspire confidence at all.
Can anyone who had mcu2 upgrade on a 2014 MS 85 (in the UK) confirm that they did get LTE connectivity after the upgrade ? As YT and netflix on 3g will be pointless with our premium connectivity for life.
Thanks.
I think the LTE/4G is built into the MCU2, which is also what I was told as one of the reasons the upgrade was such a great idea when I enquired.

Reactions: MoLeViP
I think the LTE/4G is built into the MCU2, which is also what I was told as one of the reasons the upgrade was such a great idea when I enquired.
This is where i am confused still though as another user had mcu2 upgrade done at Bristol, and they put his sim from his mcu1 into it, which only gives him 3g, even though the mcu2 itself has LTE compatibility.
The question here is, are we supposed to get 4g connectivity or compatibility with mcu2 upgrade? As i dont see any point if we are stuck with 3g sim cards as YT and Netflix wont work properly at all on 3g and the more wider issue is that 3g is being turned off in europe.
Can someone in the UK please confirm they have 4g connection after mcu2 upgrade?