Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

«Safe» to buy new Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JU108

Sep 13, 2018
Norway
New to Tesla world, but have been reading positive and lots of scary negative stories related to X.

I love the size, practicality, and even the looks of it. But I am wondering if Tesla has mostly rectified issues with X, or is it still plagued by problems?

I have tried to seach forums for «issues with latest X», or somesuch, but cannot get clear answer for 2018 production.

Thank you all in advance and apologize if I failed to search correctly.

i just picked up a 2018 model x 75D vin 112K (if you order new you will be in the 120K+ range) and it's a silent beast that rides well and i'm very impressed.

i've put on 110 miles since monday when i picked it up but have only had to update it to the latest software update and that's it!

[*full disclosure, this is a loaner car that came off the truck Monday and was given to me with 8 miles on it*]

• Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: P85_DA and IdaX
There are no more issues than any other new car, which is low. The forums is not an adequate sample size for quality. 40k+ cars delivered last quarter, no reports of widespread problems.

Forums can give you a skewed perspective. There aren’t 100,000 owners on here saying “it’s great no problems!” There are 100-200 owners (fraction of a percent) saying they have big problems or repeat nuisances.

My biggest problem is trying to decide if I want to take on a four digit car payment!!!!

New to Tesla world, but have been reading positive and lots of scary negative stories related to X.

I love the size, practicality, and even the looks of it. But I am wondering if Tesla has mostly rectified issues with X, or is it still plagued by problems?

I have tried to seach forums for «issues with latest X», or somesuch, but cannot get clear answer for 2018 production.

I feel that there are the following categories:
  • Those who already have an X
  • Those who want an X, but can't afford it
  • Those who talk badly about the X, because they can't afford it
  • Those who talk badly about everything, because they can make money off of conspiracy theories
The happiest ones are the first group.

As long as your debt/income ratio stays under 40%, go for it.

Max out my 401k every year, only debt is a car and a mortgage, savings to other accounts, and I’d be at 28%. Still can’t wrap my mind around the idea of a 6 figure car. I remember when my dream car was a Z/28 and loaded that was like $21k and seemed unattainable. I know the day will come just simply due to inflation, but dayum.

Reactions: P85_DA
I've had my X for three months. I had the same fears after reading this forum you're having. I had one minor scratch on mine during delivery and that's the only issue with the car to this point. It was repaired within a week and I was provided a model S loaner, which was fun.

I find a lot of the complaints in this forum come from two categories.
- Persnickety people
- True lemons

The persnickety people, I can only assume grew up with a silver spoon in their ass or have been so accustomed to luxury that they've lost all sense of what things cost (I'm sure that's going to offend some here). I'm not saying Teslas are a great value. If someone wants value, go buy a Camry. But when you stop and think about how unique it is to not require gasoline or the maintenance of a combustion engine; to get the speed, quiet ride, the technology, the updates and tune-abilty this car provides from a touchscreen, it's unchartered territory and provides a lot of value in those areas that no other auto makers can touch. And still, they'll bitch about how the interior fit or sound system isn't as good as their old Maserati or whatever other luxury brand they had. To me, it gives off a sense that some of these people are just spoiled and soft. I don't know, I guess I'm from a different place.

But if you look around, there's actually many more people on here that love and appreciate the car, they just might not be as chatty. There's only so much you can discuss about these cars in between major feature releases.

I'm not the type of guy to go throw money at high end cars. I love technology and can appreciate all the other benefits this car provides, so I bought it. I've had a lot of fun with it and there's small aspects of this car that I didn't anticipate enjoying as much as I do.

I had the same doubts as you. I read the same forums, reddit, etc. Instead of a long post denying all the FUD out there, I will just say:

I have my Model X 100D since June 2018. Best decision ever. Period.

If you think your obsesion will decay once you have your car, forget it. You will keep reading forums, dreaming on the new minimal improvement every OTA update, volunteering to make errands as an excuse for the pleasure and fun that is driving your car, ...

The way I look at it, if you're excited about the car and technology then you'll probably be willing to overlook some of the common issues that some (not all) people have. I personally have had my fair share of issues and I still love the car.

If, like some other posters, you hate your car after the first week because of some correctable issues, then you've made the wrong choice in vehicles.

I have now had my X for 6 months and almost 10,000 miles. Love it! A couple of minor problems that Tesla has sent rangers to my house to fix. My wife and I fight over who gets to drive it. So we are trading in our 18 month old Lexus and getting another X next week. Even though I can afford it, I never saw myself spending $100 k on a car. But now I am doing it again.

• Funny
Reactions: MJGolf and P85_DA
I feel that there are the following categories:
  • Those who already have an X
  • Those who want an X, but can't afford it
  • Those who talk badly about the X, because they can't afford it
  • Those who talk badly about everything, because they can make money off of conspiracy theories
  • Those who think it looks like a Pontiac Aztek
The happiest ones are the first group.
:p

• Love