Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

‘18 MX A/C Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering if anyone could help. This is our first Tesla, we’ve had it for 13 days, and the AC stopped working this afternoon. When you first get in the car you can hear/feel the humming of what I’m assuming is the ac compressor, but after 20 seconds or so it shuts off and the air blowing out starts to get hot. Walk away from the car and the same thing happens when it first powers back on. I’ve tried the hard reset, by powering the car off for 3-5 minutes, but that didn’t help.

Any other suggestions, before I travel 2 hours to our nearest SC

If the compressor sounds like it's firing up and then stopping, I would start by having the system recovered and recharged, preferably w/ dye so that any leaks can be detected. One would guess it's a leak.

I also have a 2018 MX. My AC wasn't working great and then the compressor self-destructed one day while I was driving. Spent two weeks in the SC getting the entire mechanical part of the AC system replaced because it sent shards of metal through it all. This happened back in 2020 I think. Had maybe 30,000 miles on the car.

Thank you for the reply. I believe it may be a leak too, but was hoping there is something else I can try before our appointment as our SC is a few hours away

In theory, any shop capable of doing a proper AC recover and recharge should be able to evacuate the system and refill w/ dye. They may/may not even be able to repair a basic leak in an accessible place. I'd personally go that route, unless you're in warranty.