Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2016 Tesla Model X and for the past few weeks my A/C only works if the car is in park. When the car is in drive, it blows hot air that smells like dirty laundry. In park it blows cold A/C air. It has consistently followed this pattern. There have been software updates since it started that haven’t changed anything.
The A/C icon is blue as well even when it blows hot air. I’ve tried powering off the car multiple times since this has been happening for the past few weeks.

Any ideas of what the issue could be?

• Informative
Reactions: beachmiles
Solution
So it seems as though I am experiencing the same issue as you... I just got a call from the service center and they said the wires for the discharge pressure sensor are frayed 132.50 to repair so I gave them the green light for that. Afterwards they are going to run a 12v system integrity check and if all checks out, car should be good to go. I will update as it goes. How did everything work out on your end?
Have you tried getting into the service menu (video below) where there are additional log msgs?

I just tried this and there is an active service alert for THC_d0011_presSnsDis.

Has anyone had this issue error before? I want to have somewhat of an idea before taking it to the service center since they have misdiagnosed issues for me multiple times.
37F3C727-749C-4AD9-9CDE-1AC3CA037D53.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
Upvote 0
I just tried this and there is an active service alert for THC_d0011_presSnsDis.

Has anyone had this issue error before? I want to have somewhat of an idea before taking it to the service center since they have misdiagnosed issues for me multiple times.
View attachment 943875
You're welcome.

Have you looked at the others (down arrow) ... ie rfrg = refrigerant?

dmsIzmM.jpg

Reactions: Kavinbala
Upvote 0
You're welcome.

Have you looked at the others (down arrow) ... ie rfrg = refrigerant?

dmsIzmM.jpg
Yes it seems that they are all related. The errors I’m getting are THC_d0021_RCCMActuator , THC_w0136_rfrgDisPress , and THC_d0011_presSnsDis .

I looked these up online and found only one post about this on diagnostic network but unfortunately I can’t view it without being a registered mechanic.

Upvote 0
Yes it seems that they are all related. The errors I’m getting are THC_d0021_RCCMActuator , THC_w0136_rfrgDisPress , and THC_d0011_presSnsDis .

I looked these up online and found only one post about this on diagnostic network but unfortunately I can’t view it without being a registered mechanic.
Here is an interesting page that talks about all those Thermal Controller (THC) areas at a highlevel:

>>>>>>>>>>>
Remote Climate Control Module (RCCM)
The RCCM is an enclosed Printed Circuit Board (PCB) that is mounted on the HVAC unit and receives signals from the following sensors:
  • Ambient air temperature
  • In-car air temperature
  • Evaporator temperature
  • Front air duct discharge temperature
The RCCM communicates on the fault-tolerant body CAN bus. It broadcasts data from these inputs to the Thermal Controller (THC). The RCCM calculates a requested A/C compressor speed based on the evaporator actual temperature versus the target temperature. The thermal controller receives this request and directly commands the compressor as needed. The thermal controller might override the RCCM request in the case of power limiting or high chiller load.

The RCCM has direct control over the blower motor and the mode/blend door actuators.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<

• Helpful
Upvote 0
U can hook up refrigerant gauges n go for a drive (gonna have to figure out how to mount it to see it or route it thru window)
This will at least tell u if AC compressor keeps running or turns off n go from there..
Best way to troubleshoot AC is to see what pressures are doing.

Upvote 0
Please keep us updated on the process. I have the exact same issue with my 2016 as well. Thc_d011_pressnsdis and thc_w0136_rfrgdispress... I took it into Tesla and so far they have replaced the discharge pressure sensor on the high pressure side of the A.C. system, replaced the Rear PTC, and recharged the refrigerant. I'm about $3200 in the hole with Tesla and I'm about to lose it. I got to the DCDC controller last night and checked the fuses and they are good. My A.C. started out like yours where it would only kick the compressor on in park and then shut down as soon as I started driving with an error message. After I got it back this last time, it doesn't work at all anymore. Once this is fixed, I'm getting rid of the car and never looking back

Upvote 0
Please keep us updated on the process. I have the exact same issue with my 2016 as well. Thc_d011_pressnsdis and thc_w0136_rfrgdispress... I took it into Tesla and so far they have replaced the discharge pressure sensor on the high pressure side of the A.C. system, replaced the Rear PTC, and recharged the refrigerant. I'm about $3200 in the hole with Tesla and I'm about to lose it. I got to the DCDC controller last night and checked the fuses and they are good. My A.C. started out like yours where it would only kick the compressor on in park and then shut down as soon as I started driving with an error message. After I got it back this last time, it doesn't work at all anymore. Once this is fixed, I'm getting rid of the car and never looking back
Wow that’s exactly what I didn’t want to happen and why I made this thread.

The car is at the service center since there’s no further diagnosis I can do. I informed them to ask me before performing any repairs. I dropped it off yesterday and it’s been sitting there the whole day with no change in repair progress from preparing. Estimated time of completion was for June 13th (today) at 4:15pm.

• Helpful
Upvote 0
I talked to my service advisor and his diagnosis is that the Refrigerant levels are low so the car is giving cooling priority to the battery when driving.

The harness connector repair is unrelated.

I’ll update once the repair is finished

Attachments

• 110816F2-9AAE-4303-9BE2-876BCA91BFE6.jpeg
    110816F2-9AAE-4303-9BE2-876BCA91BFE6.jpeg
    400.6 KB · Views: 105
  • Informative
Reactions: brainhouston
Upvote 0
I talked to my service advisor and his diagnosis is that the Refrigerant levels are low so the car is giving cooling priority to the battery when driving.

The harness connector repair is unrelated.

I’ll update once the repair is finished
I can almost guarantee that won't be your problem but I really hope it fixes it. I'm also pretty envious of the labor rate you're getting. Its 265/hr where I am. Just the refrigerant refill is coming out to around $700. Taking mine to a different service center this Friday and i've already sent them many notes and photos through the message center in hopes that they can pinpoint the issue. Fingers crossed for you!!!

Upvote 0
View attachment 947176
I haven’t picked up the car yet but the app says it’s finished

i was initially told that the harness repair was unrelated.
Well this would be great news! I actually got into the frunk and located my discharge temp/pressure sensor, inspected the harness but it looks completely fine. It also does not sit anywhere for something to chafe against it or hit it unless maybe a rodent got to it?

Upvote 0
So it seems as though I am experiencing the same issue as you... I just got a call from the service center and they said the wires for the discharge pressure sensor are frayed 132.50 to repair so I gave them the green light for that. Afterwards they are going to run a 12v system integrity check and if all checks out, car should be good to go. I will update as it goes. How did everything work out on your end?

• Informative
Reactions: brainhouston
Upvote 0
Solution
AC works perfectly now!

I appreciate everyone’s help in solving this.

Upvote 0

AC works perfectly now!

I appreciate everyone’s help in solving this.

Did either of you happen to notice WHERE the repair of the harness took place? That harness appears to go into a larger grouping fairly quickly, and while I'm not dealing with the same issue, I have been chasing a power usage issue that is intermittent - when the power usage is low, the AC is stupidly cold (which is great) and the compressor doesn't seem to be running hard. When the power usage is high, over 100 wh/mi more (450+ on the highway) then the AC is still stupidly cold, but the compressor seems louder.

Upvote 0