Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

“Slip-on” Spacers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to put wheel spacers on my 2021 Plaid. I don’t want to spend a bunch of money up front without knowing exactly what I want. It would be awesome to have some cheap slip on spacers to play with the different sizes and visually see how much wheel ‘poke‘ a 20mm spacer will give vs 15mm, etc before I dish out $ for the ‘real’ spacers’.
Once I have it dialed in and I know the exact size I’m looking for, then I’ll order the official hub centric spacers with the lug nuts from a brand I’ve chosen.

Where can I get these ‘slip on’ spacers for testing? Don’t want to spend a bunch of $ since they’ll only be used once

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I want to put wheel spacers on my 2021 Plaid. I don’t want to spend a bunch of money up front without knowing exactly what I want. It would be awesome to have some cheap slip on spacers to play with the different sizes and visually see how much wheel ‘poke‘ a 20mm spacer will give vs 15mm, etc before I dish out $ for the ‘real’ spacers’.
Once I have it dialed in and I know the exact size I’m looking for, then I’ll order the official hub centric spacers with the lug nuts from a brand I’ve chosen.

Where can I get these ‘slip on’ spacers for testing? Don’t want to spend a bunch of $ since they’ll only be used once
I have 15mm wheel spacers on my Model S Long range+ …Haven’t had any issues at all with them. If I were to change anything at all with my setup, I wouldn’t have also lowered the car. I rub often. So now I’m getting my lowering brackets taken off next week.

Attachments

• IMG_1226.png
    IMG_1226.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0353.jpeg
    IMG_0353.jpeg
    554.4 KB · Views: 73
Upvote 0
Keep in mind for the plaid, you will have to grind down the rear lugs to work with 20mm or smaller spacers
Damn, that sounds kinda scary…. Seems like the kinda thing that might void warranty? Any tutorials online about how to about this? I have zero experience with this kind of thing, but am curious and open to learning. Would it be better to find a private shop to do it for me? Thanks for any insight

Upvote 0
Damn, that sounds kinda scary…. Seems like the kinda thing that might void warranty? Any tutorials online about how to about this? I have zero experience with this kind of thing, but am curious and open to learning. Would it be better to find a private shop to do it for me? Thanks for any insight
The car mechanic I went to did it for me for my spacers. It’s so that the lugs on the spacers can fit inside of the inlets of the wheels. Grinded off about an inch.

Upvote 0
If you use bolt-on spacers less than 20mm, it's possible you will need to grind down your studs.

That's necessary if your wheels have a totally flat mounting surface across the whole surface. Many wheels have 'cut outs' between the stud holes, in which case you wouldn't have the interference that would require grinding your studs down.

If you don't have cut-outs, you can also get longer studs to replace the factory ones, which will let you use 20mm slip ons. That said, grinding studs is not really risky or difficult, and an indy shop can do it for you very quickly.

Reactions: tsmithlxix
Upvote 0