Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

“Smart” rfid ring as key fob?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is less like the FOB and more like the Keycard. You will have to hold at against the sensor on the door pillar to unlock. And, I assume, to drive the car you will have to place the ring on the center console in the Keycard spot, which sounds inconvenient, and it will probably slide off. So really, this would only be useful for times when you want to unlock the car but not drive it. Pretty rare usage for something you would wear all the time (imo).

And, I assume, to drive the car you will have to place the ring on the center console in the Keycard spot, which sounds inconvenient, and it will probably slide off.
AFAIK you only need to tap the keycard there in case you want to 'start' the car and too much time has elapsed from unlocking it. No need to keep it there while driving.

Since it's almost as expensive as a key fob, my preference would be the key fob, which also allows locking/unlocking and opening the frunk/trunk.

Reactions: gaswalla
AFAIK you only need to tap the keycard there in case you want to 'start' the car and too much time has elapsed from unlocking it. No need to keep it there while driving.

Since it's almost as expensive as a key fob, my preference would be the key fob, which also allows locking/unlocking and opening the frunk/trunk.
You are correct. just a tap.. and it has saved my butt a few times already since my iphone now has a mind of its own and keeps rebooting itself at the most inconvenient times.

I was looking at this earlier today. The one upside I see is you can keep the ring on all the time and not have to worry about carrying a fob. Say you went jogging or something along those lines.
Exactly.
I have a friend who went hiking and come back in dark, dead phone and key fob frozen as it was winter...Ring would definitely would help as backup in that case. But limited functionality I agree.