Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

“Square” tires on staggered rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried to search on this and couldn’t find a definitive answer. Is there a technical reason one couldn’t run 245/35/21 tires all around on staggered 21s? The front wheels are 8.5” wide and the rears are 9” wide. Most of the 245 width tires on Tire Rack have a rim width range of 8-9.5”. Also, based on GAWR, the minimum load rating for the tire would be 96 (1565 pounds), which all 245/35/21 tires have.

I ask because if you search for the staggered setup on Tire Rack, there are 8 options. But if you did 245s all around, there are 18 options, including an interesting set of Vredestein all-weather tires that have the 3PMSF rating, but only available in 245 width.

Yes, this very doable.

We did this as we had a complete set of new "square" tires on bent wheels that we transitioned to unbent staggered wheels; works and looks fine.

When the rears wear out we'll put the correct size rears on, and, of course, you can't rotate regardless because the wider rear wheels belong on the rear.

Certainly doable but the "look" will definitely be different. The staggered stock setup is 21x8.5"+40 front with a 245/35-21 Michelin PS2 tire and 21x9.0"+40 rear with a 265/35-21" Michelin PS2 tire.

If you go 245/35 all around, the sidewall will be more "upright" in the front while the rear will be more "stretched".

Further, the rear will also appear ride a little "lower" due to the shorter sidewall (about a 1/4" or 1/2" total).

Oh, and a third thing...since the rear sidewall will be shorter *and* stretched, there is a greater risk of curb rash.

Thinking about doing this(245/35/21 at all four corners). Does anyone have and pics? I think this would also qualify you for the 30k treadlife warranty on tires like the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, as opposed to the 15k warranty with the staggered setup.

I just had a loaner that was this setup.
It wasn't super noticeable until I saw it, and then it seemed kind of obvious that the rear tires weren't quite right. Once it was seen it couldn't be unseen type of thing.
The rear tires didn't stick out as far as the rims, so it looked a little wonky and they had lots of curb rash.

I had a BMW that I purchased used. It had staggered rims. I don't think the previous owner understood - all the tires were the same AND the rims were mixed on the axles. Tires did wear poorly.

Outer diameter is going to be different slightly - not sure if it would upset the AWD system.

Might get away with the "square" warranty as the tire shop may not even notice the rim mismatch.