Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

“Tesla uses non-sealed taillights” Water inside is normal according to mobile service.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
B52F0453-D858-48D4-B9C3-2889D211D4C7.jpeg
After seeing condensation inside one of my 2 month old MX, I contacted service to get it repaired. Their response is that TESLA doesn’t use sealed taillights and the amount of water inside the twilight is considered “normal”
How do you escalate service request? All the support options lead you to dead ends.

Yeah. Just like unpainted panels are “normal”. You must be new to the current state of Tesla.

There is no way to escalate. The post-service options include making a service appointment. That’s it.

My advice, if you want something done about it, is to go to a 3rd party shop and pay for them to fix it, or raise holy hell at the service center when your appointment comes around.

• Love
Reactions: Yinn and Watts_Up
Yeah. Just like unpainted panels are “normal”. You must be new to the current state of Tesla.

There is no way to escalate. The post-service options include making a service appointment. That’s it.

My advice, if you want something done about it, is to go to a 3rd party shop and pay for them to fix it, or raise holy hell at the service center when your appointment comes around.
Well, I would remove them and inspect them to cheek if there is nothing noticeable,
like a gap between the two parts of the taillight (I'm just guessing...) or around the light bulbs?

It's not difficult to remove the taillight, I don't know about the MX but for the M3 there are 3 small screws,
and you have to be careful to not let them drop inside the trunk, otherwise you may have to remove the carpet to find them.
May be put a large towel to block any hole and hold any screw if you drop one during removal or installation back.

Our Mustang owner's manual contains the same language. I think it's more or less standard.

The key is, does the mist NEVER go away? That is not operation as designed. Since it's vented, condensation should clear up once in a while.

Many brands use non- sealed tail-lights. They will have a good reason to do so (i‘m a noob so I don‘t know).
Even my 2006 Audi A8 had units that had a small hole in them. Attached to that hole was a small rubber tube pointed downwards so that the condensing water drops dripped to where they were supposed to be dripping.

when I pressure-wash the car, in certain angles, I sometimes jet a bit of water into the rear lights. So what. They always dry them selves so it‘s not a problem.

you can do one of two things:
- Get anal about it, raise hell, discover that the design is what it is and will not be solved to your liking. Curse at Tesla and get a car that has sealed units.
- Or relax, knowing that the moisture can and will evaporate. My MS did it. My MX does it. Other cars I had did it. Nothing to get wound up about.

Reactions: rocketdallas