Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

“Voltage supply too low” and BMS errors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got towed with dead car (couldn’t be put in gear, then screens went black). 12V replaced during last year. Tower tried giving 12V through external booster, but screen stayed black.
2015 P85DL

see screenshot. Anyone has a clue what could be root cause?

C7F6E80A-C49F-47FE-B722-000FF8A4EDA7.jpeg

12v replaced this year and was measured at 12.1V when being towed when trying to resuscitate the car.

I have a vague memory fixing one ground stud earlier , but there are so many trips to SC with the car over time I’ve frankly lost track - that being said I still have loved this car, but hope the next one will keep better…

maybe should hope for a new pack at this point of life, the car is 6 years and in pack warrantee still… ;-)

thanks for your input!

yeah, I got the ground stud front replaced previously:

Corrections: Vehicle Alerts General Diagnosis
Inspected the costumer concern and found that the front rail ground stud is corroded.
Corrections: Grounding Stud - Front Rail - RH
The grounding needs to be removed and replaced.

I just opened a service ticket with the app and said I wanted a quote as I now got a 90kwh that was throttled (basically booked a service visit) - got reply next day. I paid the invoice and the reconfiguration will be done remotely in the upcoming week.

Reactions: Veggen
2015 Model S 85D out of warranty.
I drove out to Colorado from Bronx,NY on 8/20/22 for a well earned vacation with my tow kids ages 12 and 8 To visit my brother who I have not seen in at least 15 years. I stopped a lot to recharge and sight see. Made it to Colorado on 8/24/22. Drove the car about 15 miles to fully charge at a Tesla destination charger on 8/26/22. The next morning Saturday 8/27/22 I had almost all of the same codes including "Unable to drive voltage supply too low", car may not restart, schedule service, and others.

I tried to reset to no avail. The displays went black within the hour. Doors still opened but the car was dead . Had to get towed. Could not put the car in tow mode. Colorado only has one Tesla service center that is open on Saturday and it’s 75 miles away. They said they would try to diagnose it but looks like Monday as they only had 3 techs, were filled with Teslas being serviced and Monday was most likely when they’d see it. Today is Monday. They got to me first thing in the morning. HV battery needs to be replaced and maybe the repair can be done in two weeks. I’m 1700 miles away from home, need to be at work on 9/2/22, and my kids start school 9/8/22. They can’t give me a loaner because I can’t drive a loaner out of state. They said s the HV battery is still under warranty, it’s a warranty replacement and they will reimburse me for the tow and car rental until my car is fixed. They also said since the battery will be replaced I’m practically getting a new car. I’m stranded in Colorado. Have to rent an ICE car and pay for gas with these sky high prices for 1700 miles plus the miles when I get back home for my daily driving. Then I have to come back here to pick up my car but maybe they may be able to have it sent to me in New York with manager approval.

My brother suggests I sell it after the repair and get a newer model. I’m open to all ideas and suggestions about getting back home, what to do once the car is repaired, and turning the unpleasant experience into a positive.

I drove out to Colorado from Bronx,NY on 8/20/22 for a well earned vacation with my tow kids ages 12 and 8 To visit my brother who I have not seen in at least 15 years. I stopped a lot to recharge and sight see. Made it to Colorado on 8/24/22. Drove the car about 15 miles to fully charge at a Tesla destination charger on 8/26/22. The next morning Saturday 8/27/22 I had almost all of the same codes including "Unable to drive voltage supply too low", car may not restart, schedule service, and others.

I tried to reset to no avail. The displays went black within the hour. Doors still opened but the car was dead . Had to get towed. Could not put the car in tow mode. Colorado only has one Tesla service center that is open on Saturday and it’s 75 miles away. They said they would try to diagnose it but looks like Monday as they only had 3 techs, were filled with Teslas being serviced and Monday was most likely when they’d see it. Today is Monday. They got to me first thing in the morning. HV battery needs to be replaced and maybe the repair can be done in two weeks. I’m 1700 miles away from home, need to be at work on 9/2/22, and my kids start school 9/8/22. They can’t give me a loaner because I can’t drive a loaner out of state. They said s the HV battery is still under warranty, it’s a warranty replacement and they will reimburse me for the tow and car rental until my car is fixed. They also said since the battery will be replaced I’m practically getting a new car. I’m stranded in Colorado. Have to rent an ICE car and pay for gas with these sky high prices for 1700 miles plus the miles when I get back home for my daily driving. Then I have to come back here to pick up my car but maybe they may be able to have it sent to me in New York with manager approval.

My brother suggests I sell it after the repair and get a newer model. I’m open to all ideas and suggestions about getting back home, what to do once the car is repaired, and turning the unpleasant experience into a positive.
They replaced a bunch of stuff including the HV battery.
ASY-HV 1.00 BATTERY,90KWH,SX(1014116-
00-C). Would I need to unlock this battery to get the full charge?

I’m over in the colonies. God save the King BTW.

New MY LR. 5000 miles. Started giving Low Voltage Sytem errors when my wife got into the car at her work. Would not drive. Was able to pull the following codes:
BMS_a063 unable to charge
BMS_a158 vehicle may not start
CP_a044 unable to charge
PCS_a023 unable to charge
VCFRONT_a478 low voltage batt ser is required
VCFRONT_a402 electrical sys backup power is unavailable
VCFRONT_a191 elect system power is reduced

We had it towed to the service center yesterday and I have heard nothing. I tried calling and was unable to get any information. Finally I got a service message this afternoon saying that if the car in undeliverable that I should have it towed to a service center. Facepalm time. I said it's in your lot and the keycard is in your drop box. Super unimpressed with the service experience so far.

Anyone have any ideas what I'm in for here?

Wait they replaced your battery for free? At the top you mentioned you were out of warranty but towards the battery you mentioned it was replaced under warranty. How does that work?