Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can the BMS_w176 (replace fuse) lead to BMS_w035 (vehicle may not restart) and "voltage supply too low" error?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Max*

Charging
Apr 8, 2015
NoVa
I'm not a huge believer in coincidences... but I guess anything is possible. Just want to see if anyone else has this experience?

2015 70D

About a week ago I get the fuse-replacement warning message, came to the service center, $300 and 1.5 hours later, got my fuse replaced. All good.

Mid-drive Wednesday, I get a BMS_w035 (Vehicle may not restart) with no additional errors. Concerning... park it outside, in case it needs to be towed.

Come back to the car Wednesday evening, BAM, "voltage supply too low" and the car will not start. About to call a tow truck, and all the error messages disappears and the car drives like nothing happened.

Dropped it in for service yesterday. They charged me $300 to diagnose the error (1.5 hours labor) and said they need the car for 5 days. O yeah, and no uber credits or anything (guessing because I'm out of warranty)

Coincidence? Am I just paranoid? Anyone else have something similar?

Past posts about this error were from a bad 12V battery. Do a search. Here is one. I hope it is just the 12V.

$15k, they said it needs a new battery.... <jaw on floor>

Hi, sorry to hear this. I am in the middle of something similar and right now, tesla is saying its just the 12v battery. How old is yours? My car freaked out with no warning and is throwing some similar codes and I had no warning about the 12v battery being bad. Mine is 5.5 years old and its supposed to be replaced by a ranger visit tomorrow. If yours is over 3 years old it might be a good first step to replace it -- might end up being replaced anyway if they do the HV battery.

Good luck - wishing good thoughts.

Reactions: DerbyDave
8.5 years old, 130k miles, I'm 6 months out of battery warranty. Also had my HV battery replaced for a "loaner" 2 years in (i.e. around 2017), I've had that loaner battery since then.

Trying to see if they'll good will it and/or I can leverage the fact that I got a loaner 2 years in (i.e. do I get a new 8 years warranty?)

$15k is about what the car is worth now. So that repair isn't happening.

How old is the 12v battery?
Can't recall, had it replaced 2 or 3 times during the life of the car. So I'd guess at least 2 years.

After I asked my question, Tesla responded.... "Hello, we are still working through diagnostics at this time and will reach out with a complete picture once diagnostics is completed. There are other components that have failed isolation testing at this time and we are working through the rest of the system now"

So it looks like my $15k quote will go up...

Can't recall, had it replaced 2 or 3 times during the life of the car. So I'd guess at least 2 years.

After I asked my question, Tesla responded.... "Hello, we are still working through diagnostics at this time and will reach out with a complete picture once diagnostics is completed. There are other components that have failed isolation testing at this time and we are working through the rest of the system now"

Maybe, maybe not....wait and see what comes back.

w035 is isolation error, it'll never be a 12v..
could be external iso (cheap) or internal (expensive HV pack), but can be fixed cheaper...
if HV is bad, cheapest way would be to buy used n sell ur old modules but requires a bit of work

$15k is about what the car is worth now. So that repair isn't happening.
This is one of those weird statements I see from people often.

"I'm going to spend $80,000 on a whole new car because there's no way I will pay $15,000!" What in the everlovin heck?

It just doesn't make much sense. People are trying to compare it to the resale value of the car used, which isn't all that relevant, versus the amount of money you would be out in spending for a new car, which is more of the issue. You can renew the life of the car for several more years with that battery replacement instead of paying 3X or 4X that by replacing the rest of the whole car, which is still fine.

And you DON'T have to get the battery replacements from Tesla, which are more expensive. I'm not planning to. Recell does battery replacements for those old S and X cars right now. Here's their page with what they offer:

This is one of those weird statements I see from people often.

"I'm going to spend $80,000 on a whole new car because there's no way I will pay $15,000!" What in the everlovin heck?

It just doesn't make much sense. People are trying to compare it to the resale value of the car used, which isn't all that relevant, versus the amount of money you would be out in spending for a new car, which is more of the issue. You can renew the life of the car for several more years with that battery replacement instead of paying 3X or 4X that by replacing the rest of the whole car, which is still fine.

And you DON'T have to get the battery replacements from Tesla, which are more expensive. I'm not planning to. Recell does battery replacements for those old S and X cars right now. Here's their page with what they offer:

First of all, thank you for the link. I knew companies started this, didn't have time to look into it yet.

To answer your [rhetorical?] question -- if I were to keep the car for another 10 years, sure $15k makes sense. I've already been looking at new cars (either a 3, or maybe a different EV). I would have kept this car for another year or two at most.

Sell car now for even if it's $5k = $5k in my pocket
Replace battery for $15k, and sell the car in 2 years = negative $ in my pocket.
Replace battery for $8k (your link) and sell the car in 2 years = about same as selling it "broken" now

Reactions: Rocky_H
Update: Tesla called. They found no internal isolation in the battery. Their diagnostic software was glitchy (my words, he used a different term).

The HV battery is showing some issues (not defined) and will need to be replaced in the "near future", no date.For now, they will remove the HV battery replacement fee.

Battery heater, $500 + $500 diagnostic fee (I already paid a $300 diagnostic fee). Trying to find out about this double diagnostic. Otherwise, phew... but I think I just accelerated my "get a new car" timeline.

Last edited:
To answer your [rhetorical?] question -- if I were to keep the car for another 10 years, sure $15k makes sense. I've already been looking at new cars (either a 3, or maybe a different EV). I would have kept this car for another year or two at most.
Oh, yeah, thanks for the extra detail. If you're already planning to sell soon, then that does make sense.