Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

0-60 ludicrous model 3 - How much will you pay and How fast should it be?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope they put the P100DL drivetrain in the M3. I'm hoping that the 2170's can still supply that much current even though the pack will be slightly smaller. That could be a 2.5 second car. I would expect it to cost the same as a MS P100DL. Why not? The only cars that are in the league cost $500k and up. Much profit for Tesla. I would also expect a mid level performance car to rival the BMW M3 for the same money (low 70's) that will be in the high 3's 0-60. The base BMW 3-series (320i) is 7.1s to 60. I expect the base model 3 to be uquicker than that.
Elon already said at the first reveal that the Model 3 would do 0-60 in under 6 seconds.

Curious why you came to that conclusion. Some have been freaking out about this on the Model S forum: No Plans to take X, S (or 3) above 100kWh

How I came to the conclusion that:
I hope they put the P100DL drivetrain in the M3. I'm hoping that the 2170's can still supply that much current even though the pack will be slightly smaller.
means just the motors and gearbox???

I'm not sure what any other interpretation of that comment would be, but I know for sure that replying to that comment saying the pack will be under 100 kWh is not relevant because it was literally stated in the comment itself.

I'm not sure what any other interpretation of that comment would be, but I know for sure that replying to that comment saying the pack will be under 100 kWh is not relevant because it was literally stated in the comment itself.
Ahhhh... I thought you meant Elon's comment had to do with motors and gearbox. Carry on...

Last edited:
Reactions: JeffK
I think for performance wise if $90k can get me to 2s there will be a big market for that since you will need to pay for over $160k for the same spec for MS. And not to mention all the other competition that can run in similar time.
I would agree with you 100% except for the fact that there won't be any competitive M3 cars out there in the 2's. The MS has competition in the 2's, but I can't see an M3 having competition in the 2's.

First, I think that the Model 3 won't be at 60 in 2 seconds flat. It could be doable, but they would need quite the motors for that, not to mention the power the battery has to supply. It would need to be as powerful as the S, but weigh only about 1600-1700kg. Or have some kind of magical tires. It could surely beat the Model S, but 2 seconds flat is seriously quick. 0-60 times don't go linear with more power, because traction limits acceleration, so the 3 will have to get a lead after 40mph. And making up .2 seconds from 40-60 is a lot of improvement.

But I could see it in the mid to high 2s, which would still be impressive. I am also not sure if the S/X and 3 will share motors. I would make sense for the lower end Model Ses to get the cheaper Model 3 motors, so maybe the Model 3 PXXD will be able to have the same motors as the highest performance Model S and maybe the new cells are so powerful, that even at a lower capacity, they will be able to supply enough power.

If the Model 3 would ever be quicker than the Model S, I do think Tesla would just upgrade the most powerful Model S to three motors and be done with it. Not that that would improve 0-60 by a lot, but then Tesla will just quote 0-100mph and everything will be fine again.

My guess is mid 2s or better 0-60 and $70K +/- $5K for the base PxxD Model 3. Could be a bit higher if they package a bunch of options in the base model. They will likely offer P only with Ludicrous as with the P100D.

Regular big battery D will be close to BMW M3 in 0-60 performance. P will be in a totally different (Supercar) class.

Elon wants to demonstrate that ICE is obsolete, and this is one way to do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chewy3
If you believe Trevor's source, Tesla got a Model 3 to do 0 to 60 in 2 seconds... would that be fast enough for you;)
(see his statement at starting at 4:43)

In a follow-up post on M3OC, Trev said that this was most likely just a mule in Model 3 clothing, and that they were likely running tests for a future Roadster model built on the same chassis. As much as I would love to have a two second Model 3, I have to admit that the "mule" explanation seems more likely.

In a follow-up post on M3OC, Trev said that this was most likely just a mule in Model 3 clothing, and that they were likely running tests for a future Roadster model built on the same chassis. As much as I would love to have a two second Model 3, I have to admit that the "mule" explanation seems more likely.
This makes me sad...;(

A Model 3 that does 0-60 in under 3 seconds (the '2's) will cut into Model S sales quite massively. What would be the point of buying a £150k ludicrous Model S P100D when you could get the same acceleration in a car that costs less than £100k?

If the base Model 3 can do 0-60 in under 6 seconds, I would think the ludicrous P version would probably do it in under 4.

• Informative
Reactions: arnis
A Model 3 that does 0-60 in under 3 seconds (the '2's) will cut into Model S sales quite massively. What would be the point of buying a £150k ludicrous Model S P100D when you could get the same acceleration in a car that costs less than £100k?

If the base Model 3 can do 0-60 in under 6 seconds, I would think the ludicrous P version would probably do it in under 4.

I agree with your point about a 3 in the 2s cutting into S sales but I would hope a ludicrous 3 would be able to be closer to 3.0 than 4.0 otherwise I'm not going to drop that kind of money and im guessing I'm not the only one that feels that way.

I agree with your point about a 3 in the 2s cutting into S sales but I would hope a ludicrous 3 would be able to be closer to 3.0 than 4.0 otherwise I'm not going to drop that kind of money and im guessing I'm not the only one that feels that way.

Right, well, nobody knows what the ludicrous Model 3 will do but I think they've got to sweeten the deal for all the people prepared to splash their money on a ludicrous Model S.

C63 is faster than an S63 despite costing almost 100k less
different cars for different folks