Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

0% Standby shown in Teslamate, how to troubleshoot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Everyone,

Wondering if any of you could give me some tips or ideas on how to proceed with this.
I have a Model 3 from Aug 2020 and I have installed Teslamate on my Synology.
Recently I looked into Vampire drain and noticed that it shows 0% standby, and from what I can read that's not good.

As far at I now it shouldn't be Teslamate that is keeping it alive, so I'm looking for ways or ideas on how to figure out why this is happening.
I have Sentry mode on all the time as I live in an apartment and do not have a "safe" place to park it. - I have tried to disable it this night to see if that makes it sleep.

I have uploaded a screenshot of the vampire drain table and as you can see it very few days it have been on standby since I got.

Do I just schedule a service immediately or do you have any inputs?
Let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks,
Orbe

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    324.3 KB · Views: 95
No, you dont need to schedule service immediately. Sentry mode will not allow the car to sleep, so your question has a very simple explanation. Its not "vampire drain" because that term is usually used for "I dont know what is draining the battery". We know for 100% fact that sentry mode keeps the car awake every second it is on, so if you "Have sentry mode on all the time as I live in an apartment and do not have a safe place to park it", your car will never, ever sleep.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
No, you dont need to schedule service immediately. Sentry mode will not allow the car to sleep, so your question has a very simple explanation. Its not "vampire drain" because that term is usually used for "I dont know what is draining the battery". We know for 100% fact that sentry mode keeps the car awake every second it is on, so if you "Have sentry mode on all the time as I live in an apartment and do not have a safe place to park it", your car will never, ever sleep.
Gotcha, so I see it on the Teslamate in a few hours now that I disabled it?
I just felt that I recently lose more km now than I did in the beginning - might just be me overthinking it.

Aside from this, does the general battery loss seems okay in the screenshot?

I didnt review the screenshot, but sentry mode uses close to 1 US mile an hour of battery "range", Somewhere between 15-24 miles a day. Using an online calculator to convert to km's that comes out to 24km to 38.6 km a day.

You will need to make sure teslamate is configured to not keep the car awake as well. I have no idea what the settings are for that, but its not correct to say "teslamate wont keep the car awake". its more correct to say, teslamate can be configured to not keep the car awake". Anything that polls the car has the "potential" to wake the car, so you need to ensure you have it configured properly if you want to use it.

If you really want to compare, you should change your tesla password to invalidate the teslamate token, use only the tesla app and see how many kms you have showing, then turn off sentry mode, and not check the car for at least a few hours. You will find the car has gone to sleep, and your "vampire drain" down to the normal amount of 3-5 US miles a day.

I didnt review the screenshot, but sentry mode uses close to 1 US mile an hour of battery "range", Somewhere between 15-24 miles a day. Using an online calculator to convert to km's that comes out to 24km to 38.6 km a day.

You will need to make sure teslamate is configured to not keep the car awake as well. I have no idea what the settings are for that, but its not correct to say "teslamate wont keep the car awake". its more correct to say, teslamate can be configured to not keep the car awake". Anything that polls the car has the "potential" to wake the car, so you need to ensure you have it configured properly if you want to use it.

If you really want to compare, you should change your tesla password to invalidate the teslamate token, use only the tesla app and see how many kms you have showing, then turn off sentry mode, and not check the car for at least a few hours. You will find the car has gone to sleep, and your "vampire drain" down to the normal amount of 3-5 US miles a day.
Thank you so much, I actually already see it sleeping in Teslamate, so it must be my imagination.

Thanks for your feedback!

Thank you so much, I actually already see it sleeping in Teslamate, so it must be my imagination.

Thanks for your feedback!

You are welcome. Now that you know what it is, you have a decision to make on whether the car not sleeping is worth using sentry mode. It may be worth it for you, but my suggestion would be to get a "real" dash cam if you feel you need to use it all the time. Tesla sentry mode was tacked on later. The cameras were not designed for sentry mode, it was just possible for tesla to enable usage like that.

A dedicated dash cam is something a lot of people use, but you would have to wire it in there etc. Might be a consideration because a dedicated dashcam will use less energy. I dont use one (my car is parked in my garage so dont need to use sentry much), but there are threads here with people using aftermarket dashcams.

Good luck.

@jjrandorin has already handled this pretty well, I'll drop just a few extra points.
  • Most people here aren't familiar with TeslaMate or this "Standby" percentage, though I think one can get the idea of it from this thread
  • TeslaMate will impact the Standby percentage. Not much in ideal scenarios, but there's two things working against it:
    • TeslaMate sort of lets the car sleep by not querying it for a while. But it will inherently push that sleep time by a couple minutes depending on how the car is or is not being used as a result.
    • The guess game they play for how long to wait until it sleeps can be changed by updates. What I mean is what works now may not work with a later update, and might actually keep the car awake.
  • I absolutely 100% support the idea of another camera and stopping the use of Sentry. Not just dashcams, but even a fixed position security camera if it works for your case.
  • Sentry isn't very reliable anyway. Many, many stories of footage not being recorded when it matters. The cameras are also positioned for seeing lane lines and such, not people's faces snooping about the car.

Reactions: jjrandorin