Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1.49% loan for 60 months at Stanford credit union

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, the "world's worst investor" would suggest borrowing against a depreciating asset to invest in "the spread" to gain wealth.

I love the insinuation that I don't know what a simple phrase means in an attempt to make me look like I don't know what I'm talking about since that's the only play that you have. Let's examine the numbers a little deeper since you can't seem to do so yourself given the outline I've provided, shall we?

How much money do you think you would gain borrowing $250,000 @ 1.75% interest to play the spread? That $250k is going to be worth $125k in 4 years which means you're out the other $125k right off the top. There's also the interest which is going to cost you about $10,000. Don't forget about sales tax and registration which will set you back another $20,000 give or take depending on what part of the country you live in. This means that you would have to make over $155,000 in a 4-year window just to break even playing the spread.

Oh, don't forget, this also insinuates that the market remains strong for that to happen and there are no hiccups or downturns during the entire time. Nobody alive can guarantee that and if they say they can, you're talking to a liar. That's an awful lot of risk for even less reward and anybody who truly understands finance can see it with their own eyes.

Even if I gave you a VERY generous guaranteed 12% return on your $250k investment for four years even with compounding interest you won't make that $155k you're out due to depreciation, interest (even at 1.75%) and sales tax & registration. You'll "make" a little less than the $155k you lost, give or take. That reminds me, I wonder what it would cost to insure the worlds fastest exotic hyper-car. ROFL Such a great investment strategy! Why isn't everyone doing this?!

Oh, and that assumes that everything goes perfectly and there's no hiccups to the plan like a loss of income, medical expense or economic collapse that derails your ability to pay. That would be the risk factor that you seem all-too-comfortable with ignoring like it isn't a thing. You're also the same guy who thinks that going to Vegas to gamble is a great investment strategy because nobody ever loses, right?

You tout "opportunity cost" and yet you don't talk about the flip side to that same coin which is (in part) investing that same $5,000 every month that you would be spending on a car payment in the same funds. That same interest rate & compounding interest yields more than DOUBLE that amount over four years and puts you in the $314k range of profit. This is also investing that YOU control because if life happens you can simple decrease your investment for that month or two and not have to consider bankruptcy.

But no, please, continue talking to me about opportunity cost as if I'm the one who doesn't understand.

It doesn't matter if the asset is depreciating or appreciating. You finance because you can better use the money elsewhere. The cost of financing is less than the opportunity cost of the money used for other purposes, such as investing.

The debate isn't whether a car is a good investment, is whether you should finance the car or not.

You seem to be quite risk averse, which is fine since you mention being burned in 2008. However it points to some lingering insecurities. I don't think you got burned because of leverage, it was due to lack of liquidity or reserves is my guess. If the market goes sour or I lose my job, it's not a big deal. I can easily stay afloat for 1-2 years and then dispose of assets as needed until cash flow improves.

Your argument doesn't really make much sense. You say $250,000 will be worth $125,000 in 4 years. I assume you mean I finance a Roadster. Firstly, I doubt the Roadster will depreciate 50% in 4 years since it is rare, but in your scenario you are suggesting no one every buy a new car or any car at all since it will "depreciate" and that is plain silly. We all understand most cars will depreciate in value. If you want to minimize depreciation you seriously should just get the cheapest oldest most reliable used car you can find, but where's the fun in that?

Also, insinuating that I'm a guy that thinks "going to Vegas is a great investment strategy" is also just silly. I'd be curious to know where someone as risk averse as you puts money.

I think what you're asking is if I finance $250,000 @ 1.75% for 4 years, am I making a terrible mistake? Should I have burned $250,000 in cash for this purchase instead? I guess it depends on what else I could do with that money.

A $250,000 car loan @ 1.75% x 60 months means a total payment of $261,279, or a finance charge of $11,279. Please note that inflation for 2021 is projected to be OVER 5% with no clear end in site. That means the bank is actually losing money on this deal, since their interest rate is below the inflation rate.

If I were to invest $250,000 and it grows 4% a year compounding, that will be "worth" $304,163 in 5 years.

By financing, in 5 years I have made $304,163 - $261,279 = $42,866. If I didn't take the loan, I would make $0. That's over a 16% return over 5 years and much better than Vegas!

Last edited:
He’s here to argue for the sake of arguing. It’s a personality flaw. If there was a post that said we should not finance, he would take the opposite argument just for giggles. These people are quiet common on the net.

Not everything in this world is about making money. There are things that people do and buy (including him, whether he will admit it or not) that do not make financial sense but are pleasurable, I pointed out going out to eat, going on vacation etc etc. His kids just hate him because going to Disney has a negative ROI. Actually he probably doesn’t have kids because they are a negative ROI too, unless you birthed Elon 😝.

if you have terrible finances, that’s a totally separate issue then using financing and leverage. Causation vs correlation, he can’t separate the 2. Just because you had crappy finance and used leverage , then got burned, doesn’t mean you got burned because you used financing and leverage. It’s because your an idiot.

case in point.

He’s here to argue for the sake of arguing. It’s a personality flaw. If there was a post that said we should not finance, he would take the opposite argument just for giggles. These people are quiet common on the net.

Not everything in this world is about making money. There are things that people do and buy (including him, whether he will admit it or not) that do not make financial sense but are pleasurable, I pointed out going out to eat, going on vacation etc etc. His kids just hate him because going to Disney has a negative ROI. Actually he probably doesn’t have kids because they are a negative ROI too, unless you birthed Elon 😝.

if you have terrible finances, that’s a totally separate issue then using financing and leverage. Causation vs correlation, he can’t separate the 2. Just because you had crappy finance and used leverage , then got burned, doesn’t mean you got burned because you used financing and leverage. It’s because your an idiot.

case in point.
I would never eveeeer take my kids to Disneyland. That place sucks! I’d rather go to the dmv

It doesn't matter if the asset is depreciating or appreciating. You finance because you can better use the money elsewhere. The cost of financing is less than the opportunity cost of the money used for other purposes, such as investing.

The debate isn't whether a car is a good investment, is whether you should finance the car or not.

You seem to be quite risk averse, which is fine since you mention being burned in 2008. However it points to some lingering insecurities. I don't think you got burned because of leverage, it was due to lack of liquidity or reserves is my guess. If the market goes sour or I lose my job, it's not a big deal. I can easily stay afloat for 1-2 years and then dispose of assets as needed until cash flow improves.

Your argument doesn't really make much sense. You say $250,000 will be worth $125,000 in 4 years. I assume you mean I finance a Roadster. Firstly, I doubt the Roadster will depreciate 50% in 4 years since it is rare, but in your scenario you are suggesting no one every buy a new car or any car at all since it will "depreciate" and that is plain silly. We all understand most cars will depreciate in value. If you want to minimize depreciation you seriously should just get the cheapest oldest most reliable used car you can find, but where's the fun in that?

Also, insinuating that I'm a guy that thinks "going to Vegas is a great investment strategy" is also just silly. I'd be curious to know where someone as risk averse as you puts money.

I think what you're asking is if I finance $250,000 @ 1.75% for 4 years, am I making a terrible mistake? Should I have burned $250,000 in cash for this purchase instead? I guess it depends on what else I could do with that money.

A $250,000 car loan @ 1.75% x 60 months means a total payment of $261,279, or a finance charge of $11,279. Please note that inflation for 2021 is projected to be OVER 5% with no clear end in site. That means the bank is actually losing money on this deal, since their interest rate is below the inflation rate.

If I were to invest $250,000 and it grows 4% a year compounding, that will be "worth" $304,163 in 5 years.

By financing, in 5 years I have made $304,163 - $261,279 = $42,866. If I didn't take the loan, I would make $0. That's over a 16% return over 5 years and much better than Vegas!
Yeah, well put, the simple fact that there are millions of outcomes mean you should probably just think over a few scenarios and see what works for you. If the economy tanks and you own a car outright how are you better off than someone who has cash and DOESN'T lose their job? They can either buy that car for way cheaper now or be ready to catch the stock market on the way up. Or it could go down more, or they could lose their job. Too many scenarios for that guy to be condescending when really it just seems like he both wants to enjoy a 'maybe' discounted used car later and also be mad at the people that enjoy them first.

Hey everyone, I just picked up my beautiful Blue/cream/LR/21” model S the other day. I was able to join and use SFCU for the financing. The standard rate they offer is 2.5% however if you start a checking account with direct deposit and put at least $25k in a savings account they lower the rate to 1.5%! This is for a 60 month loan at up to 110% financing. Just to be clear, I did not attend Stanford and I dont live within 100 miles of a branch, however they are an easy bank to work with on the phone and online. Also super easy to join and “qualify” for membership. So, if you are interested in joining they have a promotion of a free $100 for you and me via a referral link. Send me a PM and I can hook u up👍🏻

Rob
Thanks for sharing, I will definitely check it out. I was going with Matador Credit Union but this one is a tad better. Appreciate it :)

Reactions: Trunk Gap
I always lease and still want to lease the Model S, but can’t seem to make the lease work for the Model S where it makes sense. Absolutely hate buying a car though, as only keep it 3 years and really dislike the trade in or selling process. Lease just drop off and done.
I have never leased. I have owned one car, which is now a "total loss." If I do lease, is it wise to add extra perks/upgrade the vehicle? When I know when the lease is up, I will potentially give it back to lease another car, maybe not from Tesla?

I love all of the "financial experts" who ignore risk when making "sound" financial decisions. Keep playing that "spread" to gain wealth. Nobody has ever gone broke doing that. /sarcasm

Listen, it's your money and you can do what you will with it. That's what I love about this country. Just don't come on here trying to justify your risky financial moves as some sort of sound financial advise for people who don't know any better.
I pay cash each time. People are in different financial positions. Many of us live in LA where you wouldn’t make it a day before being assaulted or running out of money.
on a personal note, you’re always a wise a$$ and you spend far too much time on this forum.

I always lease and still want to lease the Model S, but can’t seem to make the lease work for the Model S where it makes sense. Absolutely hate buying a car though, as only keep it 3 years and really dislike the trade in or selling process. Lease just drop off and done.
If I do lease, is it wise to add extra perks/upgrade the vehicle? When I know when the lease is up, I will potentially give it back to lease another car, maybe not from Tesla?

When it comes to upgrading a lease vehicle, does that apply to all leased vehicles, not just Tesla? (Not FSD Specific)
About the question, If I do lease, is it wise to add extra perks/upgrade the vehicle? When I know when the lease is up, I will potentially give it back to lease another car, maybe not from Tesla?
Really depends on how much you value perks, as you put it. You’re asking if it’s wise to add them and i would say no, not financially wise. More costs more, and you don’t get it back.

• Helpful
Reactions: missg_na
Lol @ this thread. 1.5% is solid. I have to check rates soon as my plaid is coming this month. Can’t wait to put zero down for a low af rate though. I kept my new 3P for a year and a half and actually made money on it too. Just sold it. I’m normally a used car vulture though but you can’t get a used plaid so I gotta take the hit to be the fastest in the game. Oh well. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: captanzuelo
I will never pay cash for anything again. I paid my primary house cash, my rental cash etc etc. I probably can make multiple Plaids $ in the period of the 6-5 year loan. If my Tesla trade in goes well I will lose $2.5 on my Model 3 Performance after 3 years.

Reactions: baldwin
I will never pay cash for anything again. I paid my primary house cash, my rental cash etc etc. I probably can make multiple Plaids $ in the period of the 6-5 year loan. If my Tesla trade in goes well I will lose $2.5 on my Model 3 Performance after 3 years.
The vehicle shortage that inflated used car prices is to thank, not to mention increased interest in EV’s which are scarce.
South Carolina homes are inexpensive. I could buy 2 plaids with our 20% down payment and have enough for a model 3. Every situation is different, small pond.

Status
Not open for further replies.