Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1.9.1 is out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes 1.9.1 (did that update from a phone).

In Sydney we have a pretty solid 3G/4G network. The Tesla Gateway drives a "neurio" device with multiple inputs and has a SIM and aerial. The installer said the SIM has been paid for first 10 years by Tesla.

Using this gateway takes out any support issues associated with trying to connect via Customer's wireless network.
How did you do it via a phone? Mine has not updated and I want to trigger an OTA update

That's how it's supposed to work, and how mine has always worked. To discharge from the batteries, you must reduce reserve below 100%. To charge the batteries past solar provision, you must set Backup mode.

We still want more fine grained control. But in your case, I think it is also a misunderstanding of Tesla's limited number of modes. I believe this is a symptom of Tesla trying to oversimplify things and therefore not tell everyone everything, in the fear of less "trained" people asking too many questions and being confused. I think this is a mistake: lack of information, incorrect language use, and lack of control, make it harder for everyone to understand, not easier. If there was full control, correct language use (by Tesla's app), and full information, then the only support that would need to be done would be to the extremely "poorly trained" people, and in that case, we could give simple instructions that they can follow that would not be at all hard for them to do.

This is still odd to me... My PWs always operated as follows

Backup Mode
Solar always fed house first, then any excess went to the PWs. If solar production was low, PWs would charge at 3.3kw total from the grid

Self Powered Mode
Would mimic Backup Mode if it set the Reserve above the state of charge no matter what percentage. If I set the reserve to below the state of charge percentage the solar would feed the house and the PWs would supplement the heavy loads...

I am currently on a TOU rate with my utility. Prior to 1.9.0 I would set my reserve to 100% so the PWs would charge from both Solar and grid as needed. I would then set my reserve to 10% to discharge the PWs at night when the cost is higher per kWh..

By doing this, I was able to save $50 - $60 a month on my electric bill. This was going on for a few months.

Am I the only one that has ever seen PWs charge from the grid at 3.3kw?

This is still odd to me... My PWs always operated as follows

Backup Mode
Solar always fed house first, then any excess went to the PWs. If solar production was low, PWs would charge at 3.3kw total from the grid

Self Powered Mode
Would mimic Backup Mode if it set the Reserve above the state of charge no matter what percentage. If I set the reserve to below the state of charge percentage the solar would feed the house and the PWs would supplement the heavy loads...

I am currently on a TOU rate with my utility. Prior to 1.9.0 I would set my reserve to 100% so the PWs would charge from both Solar and grid as needed. I would then set my reserve to 10% to discharge the PWs at night when the cost is higher per kWh..

By doing this, I was able to save $50 - $60 a month on my electric bill. This was going on for a few months.

Am I the only one that has ever seen PWs charge from the grid at 3.3kw?
So is anybody else able to charge from the grid? I would like to do so, but sounds like PlugnPlay85 is the only person that has been able to charge from the grid.

I've never seen the behavior of charging from the grid in either mode. I have 2 PW and 4.1 kWp solar.

So I got a call from Powerwall support today, charging from the grid was actually a bug in the firmware prior to 1.9.0. Apparently I got a sneak peak of what the TOU function would be like.. Good while it lasted I guess. According to Tesla, they are waiting on some legal “stuff” from certain states and countries to allow the TOU feature. They want to have the TOU feature allowed for all before they roll it out.

So I got a call from Powerwall support today, charging from the grid was actually a bug in the firmware prior to 1.9.0. Apparently I got a sneak peak of what the TOU function would be like.. Good while it lasted I guess. According to Tesla, they are waiting on some legal “stuff” from certain states and countries to allow the TOU feature. They want to have the TOU feature allowed for all before they roll it out.
Thank goodness. Here I was thinking that I was being picked on...

App shows power flow from solar at night and no draw from the house. Obviously not correct.

I just had solar and 4 powerwalls installed. But I don't understand the Power Flow feature of the Tesla app. For example, it is now late at night, well past sunset, and Power Flow shows 8.3kW flowing from Solar to the Grid, with nothing going to the Home. Obviously this can't be right. Does anyone understand what's going on?

I just had solar and 4 powerwalls installed. But I don't understand the Power Flow feature of the Tesla app. For example, it is now late at night, well past sunset, and Power Flow shows 8.3kW flowing from Solar to the Grid, with nothing going to the Home. Obviously this can't be right. Does anyone understand what's going on?

It was installed incorrectly.

Do you have stadium lights shining right on your solar panels at night? :)