Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1 Year - over 50k miles - owning MY long range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't believe it has been a year, our tesla still feels new sometimes despite putting about 1000 miles a week on it for commuting to work!
Our Model Y has taken us on some long road trips to the Florida keys, to Disney world, and on a camping trip.
Very happy owner, minimal maintenance, will need to change the tires soon but am happy they have made it this far.
IMG_1297.jpgIMG_9488.jpgIMG_3116.jpgIMG_8798.jpgIMG_8818.jpg
It takes about 4.5-6 hours to charge off the wall charger when I get home from work,
most days I leave with 90% and get home with 10-15%, winter and bad weather change that a bit,
I have noticed some range loss over the last few months, 316 when new, it held in the 300's for a while but has dipped, showing upper 290's
I'm optimistic range loss will slow and I'll be able to maintain some buffer after my 190 mile commute each day.
but I do realize if i keep up this commute in 4 more years it will have a quarter million miles on the odometer and probably a bit more range loss...
fortunately there are several great charging options along my route home down into New Jersey,
Its nice not having to stop for gas every other day.
Looking forward to the day the car can drive me all the way to work, drop me off, then go find a parking spot!

I just moved out of NJ to PA and increase my commute to about 100 miles round trip (our office has decided not to embrace the work from home/hybrid culture that seems to be gaining momentum) and I'm hoping to get the same benefits as you did in terms of commuting. My 2005 Forester just isn't cutting it anymore.

As an aside, it looks like in one of those pictures you are at an RV park/parking. Did you have any issues there? I've heard people having some trouble with charging at an RV park even if they've paid for the spot.

Thanks!

I can't believe it has been a year, our tesla still feels new sometimes despite putting about 1000 miles a week on it for commuting to work!
Our Model Y has taken us on some long road trips to the Florida keys, to Disney world, and on a camping trip.
Very happy owner, minimal maintenance, will need to change the tires soon but am happy they have made it this far.
View attachment 712677View attachment 712678View attachment 712679View attachment 712680View attachment 712681
It takes about 4.5-6 hours to charge off the wall charger when I get home from work,
most days I leave with 90% and get home with 10-15%, winter and bad weather change that a bit,
I have noticed some range loss over the last few months, 316 when new, it held in the 300's for a while but has dipped, showing upper 290's
I'm optimistic range loss will slow and I'll be able to maintain some buffer after my 190 mile commute each day.
but I do realize if i keep up this commute in 4 more years it will have a quarter million miles on the odometer and probably a bit more range loss...
fortunately there are several great charging options along my route home down into New Jersey,
Looking forward to the day the car can drive me all the way to work, drop me off, then go find a parking spot!

Great to read as I keep flipping back and forth on the Y (and EV in general) due to range anxiety!

Have you done any road trips in the dead of winter which in NJ probably gets around as cold as Toronto? Curious about range loss in particular.

Yes that was an RV park halfway between NJ and the southern tip of Florida,

Savannah South KOA Holiday​

I did call several in this area and this was the one that seemed the most "OKAY" with us car camping and charging.
They also had 50amp RV hookup at a tent site so we got the best of both worlds running the climate and adding a little bit of range to the battery. I did have to get out and reset the breaker a half hour after setting up camp, I had to dial down the charging in the car to 28amps instead of 32 and it then charged smoothly through the night. In the future I will ask "do you have any tent sites with 50amp hookup ?" when looking
campground2.jpgcampground1.jpg

Winter driving range loss is real, just being very cold can reduce your effective range 20-30% a thick layer of water or snow on the road can steal another 10%
last I encountered 3-4 work days with snow falling and below freezing temps - when my alarm goes off I preconditioned car and increased charge to 100% Then shower, get dressed, pack lunch, backpack, by the time I get out to the car its warm, most snow is melted and the car is charged around 96%
3 of the 4 days I would get home with single digits of percent remaining,
on the 4th day it snowed so much i had to spend the might in NYC in a hotel, this extra 24 hours below freezing with sentry mode running necessitated a stop to charge on the way home.

Reactions: Nordo
Yes that was an RV park halfway between NJ and the southern tip of Florida,

Savannah South KOA Holiday​

I did call several in this area and this was the one that seemed the most "OKAY" with us car camping and charging.
They also had 50amp RV hookup at a tent site so we got the best of both worlds running the climate and adding a little bit of range to the battery. I did have to get out and reset the breaker a half hour after setting up camp, I had to dial down the charging in the car to 28amps instead of 32 and it then charged smoothly through the night. In the future I will ask "do you have any tent sites with 50amp hookup ?" when looking
View attachment 712715View attachment 712716

Winter driving range loss is real, just being very cold can reduce your effective range 20-30% a thick layer of water or snow on the road can steal another 10%
last I encountered 3-4 work days with snow falling and below freezing temps - when my alarm goes off I preconditioned car and increased charge to 100% Then shower, get dressed, pack lunch, backpack, by the time I get out to the car its warm, most snow is melted and the car is charged around 96%
3 of the 4 days I would get home with single digits of percent remaining,
on the 4th day it snowed so much i had to spend the might in NYC in a hotel, this extra 24 hours below freezing with sentry mode running necessitated a stop to charge on the way home.

Thanks, so single digits on a 190 mile commute (total trip?) with the car sitting outside while at work I assume?

That's a lot of miles! I'm glad that your Tesla has been working out for you.

Please remember to keep us updated at least once a year with your stats, including range and maintenance costs.

View attachment 712677View attachment 712678View attachment 712679View attachment 712680View attachment 712681

Reactions: Marks321
That's a lot of miles! I'm glad that your Tesla has been working out for you.

Please remember to keep us updated at least once a year with your stats, including range and maintenance costs.
Haha thanks. And yes I sure will. Meant to do more incremental updates but 10k, 20k miles flew by so fast! I don’t love my commute. But my wife doesn’t want to move(loves her house) and her solution to my commute problem was a Tesla. It definitely is helping with that and it’s nice knowing less CO2 is being pumped into the atmosphere for me to get to and from my far away work.

As for that worst winter day of driving the Tesla, I believe it was 20 degrees F that morning. Battery charged to 90% but cold soaked and part of the range was blocked off. i asked it to charge to 100 but very little progress was made adding miles. Most of the energy towards warming the pack and subsequently the cabin. It would not get above freezing that day. There was about two inches of snow on the ground. Going much slower than normal and with minimal life support (heat) I couldn’t help but burn through 360-400 watt hours a mile. At that pace I was using losing one extra mile for every 2 miles I did drive. But chargers were available on my path fortunately which made me feel safe enough to precondition the car 20 minutes prior to leaving work

Getting a Tesla was probably saving you so much money on gas. Have you done any kind of maintenance on the car and when did you do it? How about your tires, did they get changed out and how many miles did you have when you changed them?