Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

10-20% range drop - is it 2019.36.2.1 or "cold" weather?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although I like your idea, I still don't see how this affects the range of the battery. I see it affecting the percentage use of the battery, but not the actual range, which is intrinsic and related to some constant. I'm no expert here but are we not talking about two different things?

It doesn't affect the capacity of the pack; it affects how much power is delivered per press of the accelerator pedal.

It's now giving 5% more power after the update. If your foot press is fast/heavy enough to be demanding the extra new power, the system will deliver. I've noticed the added zip off the line lately after the new 5% unlock.

Thanks for the reply. So I think that it goes back to the original question, what happened to the range? I had 310 until the update, now it's 297-300.

As for usage, I did trial leaving the heat off this weekend and did my commute to work to test out the amount of power being used. Very interesting finding. One way trip with just the seat heater on, 5% one way. Usually it's 7-10%. Not accounting for idle, I can see using 14% of the battery on a round trip instead of the 17-20% that I have been using recently.

Tomorrow I am going to try and heat the car from the garage, using smart battery and turning off the heat, leaving only the seat warmer on. I think that this will definitely decrease the battery percentage. I also saw something in the manual about doing this.

Great thread.

Thanks for the reply. So I think that it goes back to the original question, what happened to the range? I had 310 until the update, now it's 297-300.
Nothing happened to the range. It's the car's estimation algorithm that usually loses a little visibility to judge how much energy is really in the battery pack. Trying to estimate the energy in a battery is not as exact as looking at the side of a measuring cup where you can directly see how much sugar is in it, so the energy estimates are going to drift some.