Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$10 for air

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am at the Tesla service center in Dublin right now trying to get air because I have a low pressure alert.

now the person is telling me I have to have an appointment? To top it off he said he’d have to charge me $10 to put air on my vehicle. I said I just have to access the air and I’ll do it my self. He said if you want to do that you should just go to the gas station to fill your air!

what is this place coming into? Nickel and diming me now?

any body experience this? He is saying it’s a California thing?

Probably Tesla does not have free self service air facility like many gas stations are required to provide.

Makes sense that they would want to recover their labor costs if a customer comes in requesting just air.

On the other hand, if you are in for other Tesla services, they are usually required to check and add air if necessary. Requirement for most all Cali service centers. This is for safety and fuel economy reasons, even though Tesla do not use "fuel"

Where does this "everybody wants everything for free" attitude come from.

Same thing where many tire shops will offer free tire plugging, but Tesla charges for that service. The tire companies want you to come in so they can sell you other profitable services.

Where do we get air then if we dont really go to gas stations? Specially these days our cars are just sitting in the garage. Prone to loosing air. I think Tesla should be required to atleast provide free air, atleast for their own product.

i think if I go to BMW and ask for air with my bmw they will give me free air, or even Toyota.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
I was at the Berkeley Service Center Friday and asked if they had one lug nut for my wheel since I was changing my snow tires/wheels at a nearby tire shop, I was missing just one lug nut (snow wheels had a different set of lug nuts)! The service person went back to find one and came back with a lug nut - no charge! So it definitely depends on the service person.

Where do we get air then if we dont really go to gas stations? Specially these days our cars are just sitting in the garage. Prone to loosing air. I think Tesla should be required to atleast provide free air, atleast for their own product.

i think if I go to BMW and ask for air with my bmw they will give me free air, or even Toyota.

IMO, Supercharger sites should have compressed air. Service centers here are way too overcrowded to supply air.

Would be nice, but maybe they need to make an appointment, check the car in, schedule a tech to add air, document the proceedure and stage the car for pickup. Pain in the butt for them to follow regulations to just put in some air for you. Kind of like a hospital charges $20 to bring you an aspirin.

Last time I checked, gas stations still allow EVs to use their air pumps.

The gas station near me (in cali) has a coin-op air pump. Takes $1.50 in quarters to get 5 minutes of air. Not free everyplace.

For starters, one could stop worrying about going on the cheap and just buy an air pump. I have a big pump in my garage, and a 12v one in the trunk, and a box of plugs and a plug tool. Only needed a plug once, when I found a screw in the tread, but knowing how to plug a tire and work a pump, it was no big deal.

I don't understand this attitude about wanting Tesla to do free air. It costs them the big pump (usually several hundred dollars) and a person's labor, often pulling them off another job.

Oh, well. Maybe it's the pressure.

Hey be quiet :) You are reminding me how old I am :eek:
I do remember a time when I could drive up to a service station and they would check my oil, tires, and wash the windows even though I only bought a 10 cents bottle of coke !

Probably Tesla does not have free self service air facility like many gas stations are required to provide.

Makes sense that they would want to recover their labor costs if a customer comes in requesting just air.

On the other hand, if you are in for other Tesla services, they are usually required to check and add air if necessary. Requirement for most all Cali service centers. This is for safety and fuel economy reasons, even though Tesla do not use "fuel"

Where does this "everybody wants everything for free" attitude come from.

Same thing where many tire shops will offer free tire plugging, but Tesla charges for that service. The tire companies want you to come in so they can sell you other profitable services.

I'm sorry, but it's called customer service. Something Tesla is ridiculously inept at. This and many, many other examples.

It's a damn good thing the cars need such little maintenance. Otherwise the Service people would be strung up. Totally incompetent.

(no, I do not leave negative Yelp reviews, ask to speak to the manager, or expect anything to be comp'd. I have realistic expectations and know people screw up during service. But not filling up someone's tire smacks of poor training in customer service. Period).

Reactions: cucubits

The CA law thing is that any service check/completed must include an air check.

I have a 30+ year old Black and Decker air pump which is used for kids bicycles, basketballs, inflatable pools and anything else that comes up. I always do my own air, as I'm picky and want it to be 100% accurate per wheel. Plus, I can pump them up a few pounds for a long trip, or lower them for daily driver.

Last month, I had a problem with the charging door, so Mobile Service came out and replaced the module. Unfortunately, I was in teh house on the phone when he 'topped' off my air, per CA law. GRRRR. 3 are correct but one is 2# hire. yeah, I know, a nit in the big picture of things, but 1) I had the tires exactly where I wanted them, which was 40# (per Elon) and not 42 per sticker; 2) now the OCD in me means I have to go and adjust that other wheel. (My fault for not telling the guy to not touch my air pressure.)

Reactions: MXLRplus
For starters, one could stop worrying about going on the cheap and just buy an air pump. I have a big pump in my garage, and a 12v one in the trunk, and a box of plugs and a plug tool. Only needed a plug once, when I found a screw in the tread, but knowing how to plug a tire and work a pump, it was no big deal.

I don't understand this attitude about wanting Tesla to do free air. It costs them the big pump (usually several hundred dollars) and a person's labor, often pulling them off another job.

Oh, well. Maybe it's the pressure.

I have lots of different air available at home and work. Even dry air at 175 psi.
When I'm on the road, it's nice to know there is air available if I get a nail and a slow leak. Which has happened too many times.

Tip:
Get a box of CO2 screw cartridges and the adapter. These work better than 12v pumps and will not blow a fuse or overheat and self-destruct.
https://www.amazon.com/Mosa-Gram-Threaded-Cartridges-Pack/dp/B0015V45F4/
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VGNY232/

Or a hand pump. The CO2 method is better.

Reactions: augkuo
I am at the Tesla service center in Dublin right now trying to get air because I have a low pressure alert.

now the person is telling me I have to have an appointment? To top it off he said he’d have to charge me $10 to put air on my vehicle. I said I just have to access the air and I’ll do it my self. He said if you want to do that you should just go to the gas station to fill your air!

what is this place coming into? Nickel and diming me now?

any body experience this? He is saying it’s a California thing?
Just go to a gas station. They are required to provide free air in California. That's what I do sometimes. Most of the time I just use a small portable 12v air compressor at home. Much more convenient.