Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$10 Month for Premium Connectivity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
$10/mo ..... this extra fee annoyance will be forgotten really soon. what we ought to start focusing on is how expensive & time consumung it will be when the 5G MCU's start getting deployed, & we all have to upgrade, similar to when the 3-g owners wanted to move up to 4G.
5G for now is nothing to be worried about. Its years away from being fully implemented by cell phone carriers. Have you ever seen how many towers they have to put up in order to get 5g coverage? Pretty insane

Gee! $10/mo for live traffic visualization, satellite view maps, video streaming, caraoke, ,music streaming and internet browser. Hmmmm. Lemme think about this. Browser takes forever to load up. With traffic visualization used, browser takes forever and a day. Don't care for video streaming (I'm sure it would suck as the browser is slower than molasses at the north pole). That leaves caraoke and music streaming. Who cares about caraoke? Music streaming? The regular slacker works fine for me. It's a no brainer if you have MCU1. All of these so called premium connectivity mind blowing additions are moot for those of us with MCU1. Those with MCU2 might think otherwise.

Gee! $10/mo for live traffic visualization, satellite view maps, video streaming, caraoke, ,music streaming and internet browser. Hmmmm. Lemme think about this. Browser takes forever to load up. With traffic visualization used, browser takes forever and a day. Don't care for video streaming (I'm sure it would suck as the browser is slower than molasses at the north pole). That leaves caraoke and music streaming. Who cares about caraoke? Music streaming? The regular slacker works fine for me. It's a no brainer if you have MCU1. All of these so called premium connectivity mind blowing additions are moot for those of us with MCU1. Those with MCU2 might think otherwise.

"Regular slacker" is the music streaming. That would be taken away as well as the Satellite maps. You would be stuck with the white map that really highlights the yellow board around the screen. LOL.

• Funny
Reactions: aerodyne
$10/mo ..... this extra fee annoyance will be forgotten really soon. what we ought to start focusing on is how expensive & time consumung it will be when the 5G MCU's start getting deployed, & we all have to upgrade, similar to when the 3-g owners wanted to move up to 4G.

I think that what those of us, who believed had an unlimited product (dependent on hardware; MCU1) and are now having features removed; don't see it as a simple annoyance.
As it states in their own document, if the car had Premium connectivity, it would transfer ownership to new owner-remain at same level. Yet they are choosing to remove this from those who had Premium connectivity, we may be temporarily trapped in a database dump, where all used car records were reset to Dec 2019 and they will clean up as we complain.

As an investor; I want the company to realize profits and the real costs of cell connectivity and streaming should be accounted for. But Tesla should package these costs as features with revenue streams and clearly define these to buyers of new products.
We took a huge chance when purchasing these vehicles and have lauded to all it's great features; and as a technology product I would accept that some of it's hardware may become obsolete at some point. But the calculus for MCU1/pre July 2018 units drastically increasing their bandwidth usage due to new features: caraoke, streaming just doesn't make sense when these units are not even capable.

Also please realize we are seeing a trend: Reduced ranged, reduced charging speed, - maps had traffic overlays removed, web browser deprecated-can't use waze on mine, now premium connectivity altogether.
As a Tesla evangelist, we must be able to stand up to any company that operates with impunity or as others have mentioned, what will be next.

So returning to my point, Tesla is becoming increasingly and unnecessarily aggressive with it's original base, these retroactive removals should not be tolerated.

I think that what those of us, who believed had an unlimited product (dependent on hardware; MCU1) and are now having features removed; don't see it as a simple annoyance.
As it states in their own document, if the car had Premium connectivity, it would transfer ownership to new owner-remain at same level. Yet they are choosing to remove this from those who had Premium connectivity, we may be temporarily trapped in a database dump, where all used car records were reset to Dec 2019 and they will clean up as we complain.

As an investor; I want the company to realize profits and the real costs of cell connectivity and streaming should be accounted for. But Tesla should package these costs as features with revenue streams and clearly define these to buyers of new products.
We took a huge chance when purchasing these vehicles and have lauded to all it's great features; and as a technology product I would accept that some of it's hardware may become obsolete at some point. But the calculus for MCU1/pre July 2018 units drastically increasing their bandwidth usage due to new features: caraoke, streaming just doesn't make sense when these units are not even capable.

Also please realize we are seeing a trend: Reduced ranged, reduced charging speed, - maps had traffic overlays removed, web browser deprecated-can't use waze on mine, now premium connectivity altogether.
As a Tesla evangelist, we must be able to stand up to any company that operates with impunity or as others have mentioned, what will be next.

So returning to my point, Tesla is becoming increasingly and unnecessarily aggressive with it's original base, these retroactive removals should not be tolerated.

DeyenerSeals, where is this document you described? "As it states in their own docuement, if the car had Premium connectivity, it would transfer ownership to new owner-remain at same level"

I get my cell phone from work with unlimited data. I Hardly listen to slacker or other services. I stream music through my phone where I can forward and reverse songs and listen to the songs I want. So what will I loose? The Navigation will still be there right with Map updates and the only thing missing will be Traffic Data which kind of sucks well over all Navigation kinda sucks I get much better guidance through Waze.

I just hung up Tesla Support -Supervisor and basically there are no exceptions /changes allowed to Premium connectivity extensions/ modifications if you received an expiry date. I made my case for why I should have at least Premium Connectivity until April 2020. I purchased my Model S in April 2020 knowing that some changes might be coming for this "connectivity" issue. At the time of purchase the only information that had been release was available on Tesla's "frequency asked questions" (Link Below). It states that any S or X purchased with Premium Interior will receive a free year of "Premium Connectivity". Fast forward to December 7th, which is the new "LIVE" date for Tesla's new connectivity page. Those "terms" have now changed. It's not the $10.00 per month that bothers me it's the unethical practice of evolving Tesla terms. If it's connectivity now, next it could be Free Unlimited Supercharging for grandfathered vehicles.
Lastly I did confirm that ANY Tesla purchased after July 1st 2018 will have to pay for Premium Connectivity. This includes 3rd party transfers or other dealers.

*Maybe if enough people reject this, perhaps it might change again?

Here are my references from Waybackmachine: October 5th 2018
https://web.archive.org/web/2018100...pport/frequently-asked-questions-connectivity

waybackmachine states that tesla.com/support/connectivity went live December 7th 2019:
Wayback Machine

I just hung up Tesla Support -Supervisor and basically there are no exceptions /changes allowed to Premium connectivity extensions/ modifications if you received an expiry date. I made my case for why I should have at least Premium Connectivity until April 2020. I purchased my Model S in April 2020 knowing that some changes might be coming for this "connectivity" issue. At the time of purchase the only information that had been release was available on Tesla's "frequency asked questions" (Link Below). It states that any S or X purchased with Premium Interior will receive a free year of "Premium Connectivity". Fast forward to December 7th, which is the new "LIVE" date for Tesla's new connectivity page. Those "terms" have now changed. It's not the $10.00 per month that bothers me it's the unethical practice of evolving Tesla terms. If it's connectivity now, next it could be Free Unlimited Supercharging for grandfathered vehicles.
Lastly I did confirm that ANY Tesla purchased after July 1st 2018 will have to pay for Premium Connectivity. This includes 3rd party transfers or other dealers.

*Maybe if enough people reject this, perhaps it might change again?

Here are my references from Waybackmachine: October 5th 2018
Frequently Asked Questions - Connectivity

waybackmachine states that tesla.com/support/connectivity went live December 7th 2019:
Wayback Machine

Anyone want to take them to small claims court? I don't think that opting out of the connectivity will have any impact on their behavior...

I don't even care about a fee but the biggest joke is charging MCU1 the same price as MCU2. The largest bandwidth hogs are going to be streaming video and the browser which MCU1 has neither. Tesla get your head out of your ass and charge MCU1 $5 a month or something if you insist on charging a fee.

I don't even care about a fee but the biggest joke is charging MCU1 the same price as MCU2. The largest bandwidth hogs are going to be streaming video and the browser which MCU1 has neither. Tesla get your head out of your ass and charge MCU1 $5 a month or something if you insist on charging a fee.

fleer + 1.. I am going to boycott the premium service

Unfortunately in my quest to find some sort of official Tesla document on premium internet, connectivity from 2016 etc, I stumbled upon my 2016 Model S owners manual. Stated on page 111, Slacker was only offered as a 12 month trial. I was really hoping it would have said it was complementary... If anyone finds anything different, LMK.

fleer +1 going to try my MCU1 without premium. I currently pay for Spotify Premium.

Owners Manual: 2016
2016 Tesla Model S - Owner's Manual - PDF (190 Pages)

Unfortunately in my quest to find some sort of official Tesla document on premium internet, connectivity from 2016 etc, I stumbled upon my 2016 Model S owners manual. Stated on page 111, Slacker was only offered as a 12 month trial. I was really hoping it would have said it was complementary... If anyone finds anything different, LMK.

fleer +1 going to try my MCU1 without premium. I currently pay for Spotify Premium.

Not necessarily official but a data point cited:

Tesla is introducing new paid 'premium connectivity' package to support in-car internet features of growing fleet - Electrek

Source for quote:

https://ir.tesla.com/static-files/dcbd65a8-c7aa-4538-8a81-49b1b1971a14

Last edited:

My current plan is to try without premium and see if I can still use my Verizon Jetpack hotspot to connect the car to stream Spotify (which I also subscribe to). It’ll be interesting to see if they really follow through with cutting everyone off on Jan 1 like they say. Should just be a flip of a switch for them...

Finally got this response from Tesla in response to an email suggesting reduced pricing for MCU1 owners:

Thank you for contacting Tesla. In reference to your request for special pricing for premium connectivity, it is not available for price reduction for any reason at this time.

Warm Regards,

Reginald M. | Tesla Support​