Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$10 Month for Premium Connectivity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a used 2015 S in Sept 2018, my account says nothing about premium connectivity and I still have it. I looked through all my saved sales docs and they sent me the original monroney sticker and it says it includes "wireless and mobile connectivity" and I thought it was included for life and was never told differently so if they change that I would fight it(out of principle not the $120/year)

• Love
Reactions: aerodyne
I got a used 2015 S in Sept 2018, my account says nothing about premium connectivity and I still have it. I looked through all my saved sales docs and they sent me the original monroney sticker and it says it includes "wireless and mobile connectivity" and I thought it was included for life and was never told differently so if they change that I would fight it(out of principle not the $120/year)

Well you will still have "wireless and mobile connectivity". I.e. your car is still connected to the internet and you can still use the Tesla mobile app to control it...

You just need to go into the WiFi settings and connect it once you go into drive. It is supposed to remember WiFi networks that you have connected to in drive and not disconnect in the future when you shift to drive, but I don't think it always works.
I thought that while in drive all traffic goes over a VPN to Tesla to limit malicious inbound traffic and that it purposefully only connects over the cell signal. I know when I shift into reverse it drops the WiFi connection. I guess I never tried to reconnect.

when I got my first Tesla in 2013 (early adopter) we were told 4 years did free and then would be charged the fee.

I now have a CPO that I got in May and I called Tesla today because it was showing dec of this year. They escalated and changed it to December of next year and sorry about that.

my honest opinion is that cars manufactured before June 2018 will probably end up not ever having to pay. I say this evacuee They’re mcu1 cars. And yes we can stream our music. And begin the update unless Tesla’s actually pushing it out. And traffic maps. But otherwise that’s it.

it makes sense for mcu2 cars to pay a fee because they can do so much more.

Reactions: surfaholic
it makes sense for mcu2 cars to pay a fee because they can do so much more.

Exactly my thoughts. Streaming Netflix is not the same as Satellite maps and streaming Slacker/Spotify. (Web Browser = LOL)

In my car the screen (My Car -> Software Update) is now showing that Premium connectivity is ending 12/31/19. I guess i will have to make a phone call as well.

Reactions: DeynerSeals
I thought that while in drive all traffic goes over a VPN to Tesla to limit malicious inbound traffic and that it purposefully only connects over the cell signal. I know when I shift into reverse it drops the WiFi connection. I guess I never tried to reconnect.
I tried to reconnect today, and though it turns WiFi off, you can indeed turn it back on and reconnect. I’m not sure if the traffic is actually going over that connection instead of LTE, but it did connect while in drive

I tried to reconnect today, and though it turns WiFi off, you can indeed turn it back on and reconnect. I’m not sure if the traffic is actually going over that connection instead of LTE, but it did connect while in drive
The real question will be: does connecting to WiFi (hotspot) while driving restore any functionality like streaming music after the switchover to “standard” connectivity.

The real question will be: does connecting to WiFi (hotspot) while driving restore any functionality like streaming music after the switchover to “standard” connectivity.
Right. I just checked that you could connect to a WiFi connection at all. (I thought a long time ago I read that was expressly prohibited). There is a big AT&T dead zone south of me. I could try connecting via my Verizon hotspot there and see if I get music at least. Not a full test, but would be a start

I just called and was told that my trial ends at the end of the month and would have to start paying after that if I wanted to keep the traffic and music streaming features. I have a 2015 that I bought in April.

Who did you call, the tesla customer support phone number? 1 (888) 518-3752? In April, when you bought it, the only documentation governing this was this which expressly says
Screen Shot 2019-12-12 at 12.03.40 PM.png

and
Screen Shot 2019-12-12 at 12.03.11 PM.png

Which seems to me by not legally binding opinion of a non-attorney and the transitive property "a car sold before june 30 2018 has free lifetime connectivity; that level of service is tied to the car not the owner, and the service transfers with the car to the next owner of the car" and "if you buy a car without premium connectivity you may order it."

Specifically the new connectivity description says that tesla strips lifetime connectivity from any car the sell. This web page was updated in early December.

So .. how do we discuss politely with tesla the impropriety of this change?

• Informative
Reactions: DeynerSeals
Did anyone get a screen shot of “connectivity” from last week? I sure didn’t think to do it. And as of LAST WEEK it stated used Tesla’s got one year trial. Now it’s just says NO. this is pure BS. My car had changed and now it’s back to dec 2019. I’m so angry. Surely someone must have grabbed a shot??
I don’t mind that they’ve decided to do this. WhT I do mind is the arbitrary decision to change the terms in their website and just tell us sorry. I did at least save my screen shot from my chat session with them telling me it should expire dec 2020.

Did anyone get a screen shot of “connectivity” from last week? I sure didn’t think to do it. And as of LAST WEEK it stated used Tesla’s got one year trial. Now it’s just says NO. this is pure BS. My car had changed and now it’s back to dec 2019. I’m so angry. Surely someone must have grabbed a shot??
I don’t mind that they’ve decided to do this. WhT I do mind is the arbitrary decision to change the terms in their website and just tell us sorry. I did at least save my screen shot from my chat session with them telling me it should expire dec 2020.

For what model? For the Model 3 SR an SR+ they were only given a 30-day trial until the end of 2019. All other new/invenotry cars get a 1-year trial. This is all in the FAQ:

Will there be a trial period for Premium Connectivity?

For all Model S, Model X and Model 3 with Premium Interior ordered on or after July 1, 2018, a Premium Connectivity trial is provided for one year, beginning at the delivery date. After the trial ends, Premium Connectivity will be available as a subscription via your Tesla Account.

All deliveries of Model 3 Standard Range and Standard Range Plus on or before December 31, 2019 will receive a 30-day complimentary Premium Connectivity trial.

Who did you call, the tesla customer support phone number? 1 (888) 518-3752? In April, when you bought it, the only documentation governing this was this which expressly says
View attachment 487481
and
View attachment 487483

Which seems to me by not legally binding opinion of a non-attorney and the transitive property "a car sold before june 30 2018 has free lifetime connectivity; that level of service is tied to the car not the owner, and the service transfers with the car to the next owner of the car" and "if you buy a car without premium connectivity you may order it."

Specifically the new connectivity description says that tesla strips lifetime connectivity from any car the sell. This web page was updated in early December.

So .. how do we discuss politely with tesla the impropriety of this change?

cduzz, I'm in the same boat as all of you guys. Purchased a CPO 2016 Model S in April of 2019. This car should be grandfathered into premium connectivity. What is crazy is my 2018 Model 3 delivered March of 2018 shows "Free".

cduzz, what month is this "cached" website for Tesla? I think if they did change it recently and take away this feature from us, that is very unethical practice.

I also purchased a "CPO" from Tesla about 6 months ago. I just called them and was told to "disregard" and they will honor the 1 year premium connectivity. I guess I'll find out January 1st!

I also purchased a "CPO" from Tesla about 6 months ago. I just called them and was told to "disregard" and they will honor the 1 year premium connectivity. I guess I'll find out January 1st!

they changed their website on Tuesday evening/early Wednesday.
I spoke to them on Tuesday and was told they’d honor my 1 year and sorry for the hassle we’ll give you until dec 2020. Fantasy. My car and account reflected that within a few hours.

today my car has reverted back to dec 2019 and when I called and chatted I was told that u less I have it in writing from them they won’t honor anything. (And our car should reflect any changes within a few hours of what we’re told)

I told them I have my chat history with Tyler that expressly proves he promised me dec 2020 and was told that wasn’t good enough they won’t honor that. Now I’m ticked. I don’t mind changes. I just don’t like that they make a change after the car was delivered and basically am being told to shove it. I was an early adopter in 2013 and now again bought a CPO in May this year again. It’s not the same as it was back in 2016.

cduzz, I'm in the same boat as all of you guys. Purchased a CPO 2016 Model S in April of 2019. This car should be grandfathered into premium connectivity. What is crazy is my 2018 Model 3 delivered March of 2018 shows "Free".

cduzz, what month is this "cached" website for Tesla? I think if they did change it recently and take away this feature from us, that is very unethical practice.

The prior url is Connectivity

archive.org has several cached copies as seen
Wayback Machine

The current connectivity page as updated early December of this year.

I would argue that in 2019, there were several different kinds of premium connectivity, some with expiration, some with per year costs, and some without expiration. I might be right I might be wrong, I'm not really anxious to ask a judge, but I imagine that's what it may take to clarify this issue.

So all used S-es bought from Tesla now come with only the first year of free premium connectivity?

While I'm having fun now with Slacker and the maps, I have a feeling that, at least for MCU1 cars, it will not be worth paying for this. To be honest, this Slacker streaming thing is not that amazing and I can get by without seeing traffic on the map screen.