Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100% battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the Visual learners:
Screenshot (2867).png

Screenshot (2868).png

From here:

I’m still in my first month driving MYLR. My daily commute is 85 miles, so i charge to 80-85%. Finally tried 100%, but was not happy with the new Stat results. Stats App reported full battery capacity dropped from 84kwh to 82kwh, a new phantom loss of 2.14 mi/hr, and the two drives after the 100% charge were my worst efficiency (90%), previously getting 100-111% efficiency. I’ll be avoiding 100% charging like the plague.

Is it true charging to 100% creates problems with regen, prevents or limits regen since no way for that power to return to the battery? I’ve heard 97% max if you need it, for the sake of regen function. I read 2nd hand that Elon mentioned 90% is a safe level to charge to.

I’m still in my first month driving MYLR. My daily commute is 85 miles, so i charge to 80-85%. Finally tried 100%, but was not happy with the new Stat results. Stats App reported full battery capacity dropped from 84kwh to 82kwh, a new phantom loss of 2.14 mi/hr, and the two drives after the 100% charge were my worst efficiency (90%), previously getting 100-111% efficiency. I’ll be avoiding 100% charging like the plague.

Is it true charging to 100% creates problems with regen, prevents or limits regen since no way for that power to return to the battery? I’ve heard 97% max if you need it, for the sake of regen function. I read 2nd hand that Elon mentioned 90% is a safe level to charge to.
100% certainly prevents regen from working.
While the car is cold it doesn't work too. The screen gives you a warning about it.
Why worry about charging so high to go 85 miles?

The older batteries Tesla recommends keeping the charge between 20%-90%.
Going outside those parameters occasionally isn't a catastrophic issue. Just don't do it a lot