Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100% battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Inadvertently charged to 100% and now can’t drive for 3 days. What is the best way to get charge down using remote app?

Turn on sentry mode, and turn on climate control with the heat on max.... it will take a while to reduce the state of charge this way. If the car is plugged in, don't forget to reduce your max charge limit before you start trying to reduce the battery state of charge. If the car is in a safe location use the vent option to vent the windows to let the heat out.

I am not sure how long climate control will stay on after you turn it on, but someone else will chime in with that information... just keep turning on climate control until you get the charge down to where you want it.

Keith

Reactions: mspohr and AquaY
Is this actually an issue? Genuinely asking.
Charging and leaving a battery, whether a (Tesla or a cell phone) repeatedly degrades the life of the battery.
Tesla recommends keeping the charge between 20% and 90 % for maximum battery life and charge it to100% only when taking a trip.
At least this is what I read months ago.

BTW, Supercharging all the time also degrades battery life.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: JonB65 and T3SSY
No. Charging to 100% is not a problem in itself. Leaving it there for a long time is a little bit bad on our batteries, except the LFP ones that have no problem with that. If you are leaving soon after 100%, all is good. If you leave it for days, it would be better to not charge to 100% or let it drain a few percent. It's not like the battery will badly degrade overnight, it's just a bit better not to.

Not quite understanding. If I accidentally charge my MY to 100%, I should let the battery drain a bit before driving the vehicle to protect the battery?
No, If you accidentally charge to a 100% it's best to get the charge level down, as soon as your reasonably can. Driving it is a great way to get the charge level down out of the 100% range. If you can't drive it then you could as suggested above vent the windows, Turn the heat on max, just to remove some of the high state of charge on the battery. But if you could go out and drive it that would be the best actually.

Reactions: Volleyballmom
great info. New noob owner.

So for MYP, don't go below 60 miles left and over 270 miles?
Do yourself a favor and switch to percentage, then typically run between 90% and 20%. If you're on a trip, do whatever charge it takes to get you to the next supercharger. I have a short commute so I typically charge each night to 60%.

Did not know you could touch the xxMIles part and it switches to %. Prefer that option. Thank you.

So, if I'm going to say drive from LA to SF, ok to charge at 100% prior to leaving but for every day use, 20-80% is the best option?
Always cheaper to charge at home. I'd feel free to charge up to 90% when I stopped or even more while travelling. But that's depending on your trip and where you're charging and how long you want to wait. You're fine going to 90% I think especially on trips. IMO
Remember, the closer to 100% the slower it charges too.

Something else I discovered just the other day that others may know but was new for me is that if the super charger place is crowded they will only allow you to charge to 80%

Reactions: casper90403
Did not know you could touch the xxMIles part and it switches to %. Prefer that option. Thank you.

So, if I'm going to say drive from LA to SF, ok to charge at 100% prior to leaving but for every day use, 20-80% is the best option?

You can yes. But if you can do it, say with the same number of charger stops, by just charging to 80-90% why still do 100%. Not a big deal either way.

Reactions: casper90403
Something else I discovered just the other day that others may know but was new for me is that if the super charger place is crowded they will only allow you to charge to 80%

It tells you that, yes. I get it all the time. But even though the car screen might not let you go over 80%; you can just go into the app and override the 80% to anything above.

You can yes. But if you can do it, say with the same number of charger stops, by just charging to 80-90% why still do 100%. Not a big deal either way.
I can think of 2 reasons people may want to.
1) I think most people when first traveling and new to their Teslas can have a little range anxiety so they want to charge to a 100%.
After a trip or 2 they know if they need to or not.
2) It's cheaper to charge at home before the trip so maybe some people like to go to 100% because of that.
Of course they relaly aren't saving a lot of money on that 10%

Reactions: jeremymc7