TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

100 mile batteries on the way

Discussion in 'Battery Discussion' started by vfx, Jun 17, 2008.

1. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

#1 vfx, Jun 17, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  2. mt2

mt2 Member

3. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

This proposes a nice $ prize for an advanced battery.

Sen. McCain offers $300 million prize for new auto battery - Yahoo! News

One manner in which to dramatically cut oil dependency is to have a large number of existing vehicles retrofitted with these advanced batteries - when they become available. The government can offer tax rebates and recycle unused ICE components.

4. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

It's unclear to me what specifications for this "super battery" would be necessary to claim the prize. I'd think that if it were to be developed, making money selling the thing would be it's own prize.
    As a scientist, I find this a bit backwards. I'd prefer some of that money get spent to fund the actual research directly.

5. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

#6 WarpedOne, Jun 23, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
    Which research? Who decides which research to back up and which not?
    Here is your answer (ABC News: McCain: $300M Prize for Super Car Battery):
    It is time scientists get payed for their success. And only success.

6. doug

Well I was thinking competitive grants within the universities. We write proposals, get site visits, and compete for grant money. In my field a lot of the money comes from DARPA, and I think the system works pretty well. You have to demonstrate a level of progress for your project to continue to get funding.
    A lot a good research gets done here at Stanford under that system and if successful often the are patents and startup companies that can be very lucrative. Thing is you need money in the first place to be able to do the research.
    I'm not saying that a prize is a bad idea per se, just that success is it's own prize.

Part of research is failure. To say scientists should only be paid for success is a bit extreme. You'd have much fewer scientists. Already too few as it is.

Sorry, your link didn't work for me.

7. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Mc Cain, 300 million battery and Tesla

Today Presidential hopeful John McCain said he would find 300 million dollars to reward someone to come up with the perfect EV battery.

Google news had 525 articles on it and Autobloggreen covered it here:
    McCain proposes $300 million prize for better battery - AutoblogGreen

Here's the thing though. He did it in front of a Tesla! Is the Roadster just a prop or does this hint at a partnership with the Republican and Tesla Motors?

Never read any description of him with the car or a photo op with him and a Tesla employee or the car but here is a video grab of him walking to podium. (from K.O.)

Attached Files:

8. doug

9. doug

#11 doug, Jun 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016

10. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Well, I optimized the frame choice for the car, not the zombie.

Yes, please merge

11. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

12. doug

13. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

McCain is certainly saying some of the right things about BEV's, I just question whether this is an actual change of heart or window dressing. He is one of Bush's big oil/big business cronies after all, can the leopard change his spots?
    Obama is certainly lacking on the EV front from what I've heard, yet historically the Dems are more likely to push for alternative energy. I think Obama is correct in saying that McCains battery plan is short sighted, yet I'm not comfortable with Obama's stance on ethanol. It's very confusing at the moment. :confused:

14. tonybelding

tonybelding Active Member

I'm not confused at all. McCain wants to build a lot of new nuclear power plants. He wants to promote new battery technology with his prize plan. He's advocating electric cars, and has James Woolsey as his energy advisor. There's even a rumor that McCain had a hand in getting the Navy to fund the latest experimental Bussard fusion reactor.

Meanwhile, Obama is offering vagaries and platitudes. It's no contest.

15. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Talk is one thing. There are still the historical actions of McCain and his party to consider. Enron loophole anyone?

16. Finkenbusch

Finkenbusch Member

As that McCain is looking braindead I have no problem with him representing the US majority...

17. GSP

GSP Member

OK Finkenbusch, the truth hurts. At least the US goverment will be improved next year. That won't be hard for us to do, and I'm not making any claims as to how much improvement....... :)

GSP
    (US Voter)

18. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

I was just saying the the Obama team is not as good at the Photo-op.

McCain will say anything to get elected even when his voting record has been 25 years the opposite of what he says now.

McCain has flipped and is now for drilling on our coasts that will not have returns for 10 to 15 years. Then when it does that oil goes to the world market and would reduce the current $140 barrel of oil price about 2 dollars. It will surely be double or triple by then. US oil production hit peak oil in the early 70s. even as they pull up more coastline oil the decline in the rest of the US output will drop still netting a supply loss.

How about his ridiculous summer gas tax that killed Hillary? 18 cents off a $5.00 gallon of California gas is a joke and leaves no money for the roads and bridges. The oil companies just raise prices anyway so it all goes to them.

And a "cash prize" is not an energy policy. It's a PR stunt.