Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

100d loaner is so much faster at lower SOC vs my p85dL - why is that?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tech has improved. Also a bigger pack to draw from. So for a given SoC, more energy is available. Also could be how they have programmed it.

On my 2022 MS, the power doesn't really drop off until well under 20% SoC. At the same time, 100% SoC doesn't make a difference in its acceleration times that I can measure vs even 75% SoC.

Tech has improved. Also a bigger pack to draw from. So for a given SoC, more energy is available. Also could be how they have programmed it.

On my 2022 MS, the power doesn't really drop off until well under 20% SoC. At the same time, 100% SoC doesn't make a difference in its acceleration times that I can measure vs even 75% SoC.
Did the p90d have better tech in this way too?

It's the BMS programming, made to reflect the sensitivities of the cells. Damage can result from for example too low voltage and too low SOC, which BMS is programmed to avoid.

It's a triple whammy compounding effect for the 85 pack compared to a newer 100:

• fewer cells in parallell -> more current per cell
  • aged -> more resistance in each cell
  • both more current and more resistance -> min voltage happens much sooner -> BMS limits the current
  • With voltage already at a minimum, the resulting power loss is compounded by the current limit.

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors