Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12 Outlet question--car camping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have some 12v camping gear and I have a 12 volt adapter for a CPAP machine I use at night. I simply would like to know whether the current in the MX 12v outlets comes from the small 12v battery or from the massive traction battery? Makes a huge difference in knowing how much I can use the 12 v. appliances when car camping.

Both actually. The outlets are part of the 12v system (including the 33 ah battery), which is continuously charged by the traction battery. So there is not a lot of 12v current capacity, around 120 watts or ~10 amps. But it will last a *v e r y* long time.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Both actually. The outlets are part of the 12v system (including the 33 ah battery), which is continuously charged by the traction battery. So there is not a lot of 12v current capacity, around 120 watts or ~10 amps. But it will last a *v e r y* long time.
Good post. FYI on what is in the manual:

"The 12V power sockets are suitable for accessories requiring up to 11A continuous draw (15A peak) or a maximum of 150 continuous watts (180 watts peak)."

I have some 12v camping gear and I have a 12 volt adapter for a CPAP machine I use at night. I simply would like to know whether the current in the MX 12v outlets comes from the small 12v battery or from the massive traction battery? Makes a huge difference in knowing how much I can use the 12 v. appliances when car camping.
FYI, per above post the 12v battery will get recharged when it drops to a limit. This has been discussed/researched a lot related to people using dashcams when the car is off.

MS owner here...with a 2017 MX loaner. Looks like my MS will be in service for a while, so been taking a close look at the X.

It seems the cooling pumps run all the time, and the 12V and USB ports are always on, even when the car is locked.

Is this normal for the MX or for refresh Teslas in general?