Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

a self-camping 2018 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
During the pandemic it has been nice to get out of town and camp. So I have remodeled my 2018 Model S into a 2-seater, with a kitchen and sleeping lounge in the back. Now I can cook, do dishes, brew espresso and sleep comfortably and electrically.

If there is one of me, the front passenger seat is my suitcase. If there are two of us, the clothes and cargo go in back, and we sleep in a tent.

I'm not sure if anyone else is interested in such a conversion but I have patterns and pictures to share, it has been fun to evolve the design. Obviously I am a retired engineer.

The refrigerator, kettle and plumbing system are 12 volt. There is a portable battery/alternator product just inside the hatch that powers 120v appliances up to 1000 W. A 10L water heater 9 gallon fresh water tank and pump all fit low in the rear well. The bar-sink was put up where I can reach the faucet from inside or outside. I can pull the sprayer way out of the car if necessary to defend my camp! A greywater tank sets on the low floor behind the driver. Even though I am allowing the FSD software to take me around corners, the liquids are all staying where intended, so far!

This remodel did not detract from driver's visibility. I can store my food and some bulky appliances in the frunk.

I built a separate "RV" electrical system with gel-cell 12 volt batteries in order to be always-on for the sake of my fridge, pipe & tank freeze protection and the positionable heated bed; this entire "RV" electrical system is (slowly) charged by my car's 12v accessory outlet (with its 20a fuse) whenever driving or in camp mode.

Attachments

• PXL_20221123_213150428.jpeg
    PXL_20221123_213150428.jpeg
    483.8 KB · Views: 306
  • PXL_20221123_213225485.jpeg
    PXL_20221123_213225485.jpeg
    475.1 KB · Views: 230
  • PXL_20221123_213541961.NIGHT.jpg
    PXL_20221123_213541961.NIGHT.jpg
    417.4 KB · Views: 235
Beautifully done, UFOTofu!
A lot of thought and work went in there.
I noticed a set of golfclubs in one of the pics. Would be very interested to look at your drawings and technical solutions. I am considering longer golf trips all over Europe, and hotels are a bore. Thank you!
Frans

Thank you FranT! Perhaps you saw those gold-ish rolls of window covering/insulation. The plans you are considering sound like fun. Will you be driving from golf to golf in a Model S? I don't know about golf clubs; do you think they might fit across front seats whenever you snooze in back?
Do you have some thoughts about a kitchen? Because I am from Seattle, the espresso machine is close by and determined the height of the counter; Because I want to prepare or buy food in advance or infrequently I got a large electric fridge/freezer and that determined the width of the counter. I built the equipment into the side that would not affect the driver's view. I think I just lucked out that the fresh and hot water tanks, pump and spare 12v batteries would all fit in the rear footwell. A portable Battery/alternators is a must; I am using the Jackery 1000 because of it's high 120V output wattage (again, espresso). This year there are several portable battery/alternators with up to 1500 watts output and with that you could put in a microwave. If I was starting now I would go with the microwave! Can you park the car somewhere you can work on it? I had to get a garage for this. The most important tool for me was a handheld jigsaw (that could cut curves) and a drill. I used PEX piping and ran orange PVC multi-conducter wiring to match original. Does this sound similar to your plan so far? I really did start with the equipment in-hand and a tape measure to determine where each item would fit and should go. There was an earlier version of this where I had pulled up the rear seat but I didn't realize the black tubular frame under that seat could be unbolted too! If the black tubular frame supporting your rear seats isn't unbolted, you'll be facing the dreaded "shark fin" in your rear floor. Also, removing that tubular frame makes many bolted points of attachment available, see photos. I recommend planning to fuse every circuit you add (those "power centers" are bulky) and locate a smoke detector high in the car. If you have access to a good marine hardware store, look at what they offer for small switched fused power boxes with indicator lights.

Attachments

• PXL_20220716_222807543.jpg
    PXL_20220716_222807543.jpg
    614.3 KB · Views: 161
  • PXL_20220721_192935248.jpg
    PXL_20220721_192935248.jpg
    656.9 KB · Views: 166