Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12V battery and dash cam question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the 12V system is always on as long as sentry mode is on, or any other mode. Does anyone know whether 12V / USB outlets are powered by the main battery or 12V battery when you are out of the car? I am wondering if it will shorten the life of the 12V if a dash cam is constantly drawing power to record.

The most I can find is this:

Power is available whenever the vehicle is considered "awake" The vehicle may be awake for many reasons. For example, when using features such as Summon, or when features such as Preconditioning, Cabin Overheat Protection, Keep Climate On, Dog Mode, Camp Mode, Sentry Mode, etc. are enabled. The vehicle is also awake whenever the 12V battery is being charged or is in use, during HV charging, when the vehicle is communicating with the mobile app, etc. Leaving an accessory plugged in does not deplete the 12V battery. (Model S Owner's Manual | Tesla)
this seems to indicate not, but others report otherwise. Curious what the consensus is as there's no clear answer. The above no longer appears in the new owners manual either.

When the Tesla vehicle is powered on; when driving or when any of the above modes are active then 12V power is provided by the main battery via a DC to DC inverter. The minimum 12V power draw when powered on, with no 12V accessories running, is ~230W; power draw when powered off is ~25W (the 12V battery can sustain this 25W power draw for essential circuits such as the alarm, door locks, LTE modem and BT modem for about a day.) The Tesla vehicle will automatically charge the 12V battery as required using the DC to DC inverter.

If you run a separate line from the 12V battery to power a standalone dash cam unit then this would drain the 12V battery faster, require more frequent recharging of the 12V battery.

If the Tesla vehicle's Sentry Mode is active while parked the power draw is ~230W with power being provided by the main battery.

Last edited:
Reactions: JerseyShoreMY
When the Tesla vehicle is powered on; when driving or when any of the above modes are active then 12V power is provided by the main battery via a DC to DC inverter. The minimum 12V power draw when powered on, with no 12V accessories running, is ~230W; power draw when powered off is ~25W (the 12V battery can sustain this 25W power draw for essential circuits such as the alarm, door locks, LTE modem and BT modem for about a day.) The Tesla vehicle will automatically charge the 12V battery as required using the DC to DC inverter.

If you run a separate line from the 12V battery to power a standalone dash cam unit then this would drain the 12V battery faster, require more frequent recharging of the 12V battery.

If the Tesla vehicle's Sentry Mode is active while parked the power draw is ~230W with power being provided by the main battery.
Ty for the info! I'm just plugging my dash cam into the center console plug

Down in this post is a series of comments telling you what to order and how to install this for a radar detector.
Exactly. Thanks for linking the other post. I was too tired last night to do so.

This should work for any 12v source that’s less than say 10a of power which a camera or radar detector will definitely not draw.

My radar still works flawlessly. Super happy with the wiring job. The connector is $4. Worth it.

Your stand alone dash cam unit will only remain powered on while driving and if you have Sentry mode enabled when you park. Many Tesla owners set Sentry mode to not be active when parked at the home location (can also be set to be inactive at the work location.)
Can confirm that my dash cam stayed powered on despite not having sentry mode on at home. Have parking recordings to prove it

Can confirm that my dash cam stayed powered on despite not having sentry mode on at home. Have parking recordings to prove it
Does your Tesla Model Y have Full Self Driving? If so then if you have Summon mode active that will prevent the Tesla Model Y from entering sleep mode, may not power off the 12V accessory outlets and the USB ports.

I have Sentry Mode turned off at home and an Amazon Echo Auto device powered by the front 12V accessory outlet. My Tesla Model Y is usually in sleep mode when I open the app. Approximately 20 seconds later I receive a notification from the Amazon Alexa app that it is ready to drive (whenever the Echo Auto device is powered on.)

Does your Tesla Model Y have Full Self Driving? If so then if you have Summon mode active that will prevent the Tesla Model Y from entering sleep mode, may not power off the 12V accessory outlets and the USB ports.

I have Sentry Mode turned off at home and an Amazon Echo Auto device powered by the front 12V accessory outlet. My Tesla Model Y is usually in sleep mode when I open the app. Approximately 20 seconds later I receive a notification from the Amazon Alexa app that it is ready to drive (whenever the Echo Auto device is powered on.)

I do not have fsd and sentry is set to off. I have a 3rd party app (teslease) that i just deleted to see if make a difference but my camera stayed on all night, hence me here looking for answers. I’ve seen others confirm same thing. I’d rather not have to unplug it whenever i get home

I do not have fsd and sentry is set to off. I have a 3rd party app (teslease) that i just deleted to see if make a difference but my camera stayed on all night, hence me here looking for answers. I’ve seen others confirm same thing. I’d rather not have to unplug it whenever i get home
I don't have any 3rd party software for my 2020 Tesla Model Y. My software version is 2021.32.21

Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual, page 21:

(12V) Power is available whenever the vehicle is considered "awake". The vehicle may be awake for many reasons. For example, when using features such as Summon, or when features such as Preconditioning, Cabin Overheat Protection, Keep Climate On, Dog Mode, Camp Mode, Sentry Mode, etc. are enabled.

The vehicle is also awake whenever the 12V battery is being charged or is in use, during HV charging, when the vehicle is communicating with the mobile app, etc. Leaving an accessory plugged in does not deplete the 12V battery.

What about Cabin Overheat Protection? Maybe if you have Cabin Overheat Protection set to ON that is the reason your 12V accessory port(s) remains powered on.

Last edited:
What about Scheduled Charging or Scheduled Departure? Do you have either of these set and is the Tesla Model Y plugged in, ready to charge.
None, not plugged in nothing. It should of went to sleep but did not. I set camera led to on and when i exited car it stayed on. not sure how long it takes Car to go into deep sleep so i obviously can’t sit and wait to watch when/if led goes off to indicate camera lost power

None, not plugged in nothing. It should of went to sleep but did not. I set camera led to on and when i exited car it stayed on. not sure how long it takes Car to go into deep sleep so i obviously can’t sit and wait to watch when/if led goes off to indicate camera lost power
I've never time it bu at home parked inside my garage, my Model Y enters sleep mode within 20 to 30 minutes.