Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v switched power for Radar Detector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Madsen203

May 26, MYLR, White ext, Black int, Tow, 19”
Jun 1, 2021
Bay Area
I’ve not found any recent threads doe Model Y where to tap into switched 12v power for a radar detector. I followed a thread for a Model 3 where there’s a plug under the drivers dash you can use a spade. I took everything apart last night and did not find a similar plug. I found a small plug that was getting 13v but not sure if it was switched and using it would be difficult.

Any recommendations for the project?

Reactions: Skavatar
I'm keeping an eye on this thread. I'm currently just using a 11ft cord (tucked into the A pillar panel) between my V1G2 and the 12V outlet.

Would love a better solution, especially since the 12V outlet doesn't seem to power down when sentry mode is active.

I'm keeping an eye on this thread. I'm currently just using a 11ft cord (tucked into the A pillar panel) between my V1G2 and the 12V outlet.

Would love a better solution, especially since the 12V outlet doesn't seem to power down when sentry mode is active.
I’m considering this as well but would prefer it hard wired.

With the lower dash disassembled, I could see all the connectors and the 2019-2020 M3 videos did not have the same wiring the 2021 Y has. I found the blue wire that may have power but I’m not sure if it is switched. The Radar doesn’t take much power but I don’t want it running 24/7 if I can avoid it.

the 11.5’ power cord to accessory port is like $10 so if I go that route, I guess no biggie but I’d prefer a cleaner install if possible.

I’m considering this as well but would prefer it hard wired.

With the lower dash disassembled, I could see all the connectors and the 2019-2020 M3 videos did not have the same wiring the 2021 Y has. I found the blue wire that may have power but I’m not sure if it is switched. The Radar doesn’t take much power but I don’t want it running 24/7 if I can avoid it.

the 11.5’ power cord to accessory port is like $10 so if I go that route, I guess no biggie but I’d prefer a cleaner install if possible.
I ended up using the Blue wire from a YouTube video. It was a little nerve wracking but I checked it with my multimeter. It is NOT switched however it does shut down when the car sleeps. My Uniden R3 will actually turn itself off if it hasn't moved in awhile as it has GPS and when the car finally sleeps it turns itself back on. There are times however when I have to manually unplug and plug it back in to wake it up though that is rare. I haven't found an ideal solution unfortunately, but am happy with the setup I have for now.

• Helpful
I ended up using the Blue wire from a YouTube video. It was a little nerve wracking but I checked it with my multimeter. It is NOT switched however it does shut down when the car sleeps. My Uniden R3 will actually turn itself off if it hasn't moved in awhile as it has GPS and when the car finally sleeps it turns itself back on. There are times however when I have to manually unplug and plug it back in to wake it up though that is rare. I haven't found an ideal solution unfortunately, but am happy with the setup I have for now.
Thank you! I think I found that same blue wire last night and likely is the one that tested with 13v. I’ll consider this route as well unless someone found a better idea.

Reactions: DC2ACMY
Recommend checking out this thread. I believe the Model Y has the same connector in the driver’s footwell and should be a great place to pull a switched 12v. This is where I’m getting the power for my radar detector.

Hope this helps. Brian

I know you can buy 5v USB to 12v DC adapters ($10-20 on Amazon) and plug it into the front USB ports. I'm not sure if it would work for your case but maybe worth a try for research.
Why not using the 12 V auxiliary plug directly then?

Honestly I try to understand the problem that need to solved by tapping directly the 12 V?

Is it because of the Sentry mode? Don't radar detectors have a shut off parking mode like most dashcam?

For me it’s about a clean install where I can run wires out of sight. My radar detector sits right below my rear view mirror (Blendmount) so I run the power wire along the headliner, down the post to the driver’s side footwell. Getting to the 12v in the center console isn’t all that easy if you want to keep all the wires hidden.
True - the radar detector will shutoff after a period of activity for my brand it’s 1-4 hours. I wasn’t keen on this option - personal preference.
Finding the connector in the driver’s side footwell is a great solution for me - I’ll admit to being OCD so I know it maybe a bit much for other folks and not everyone will care about chasing this down.

I know that on forums for other cars, people have talked about tapping into the power from the rearview mirror using things like this.

Here's a link from Amazon for one.

I've never tried to do this and don't know if it is possible on a Tesla or not.
I’m a big fan of the MirrorTap and Blendmount. I used a Blendmount to install the radar detector under the mirror and in other cars I’ve used the mirror tap for the 12v power but In the case of my Model S I wasn’t comfortable digging around the mirror and the cameras looking for power. I’ve read that some have been successful getting power from the mirror or front camera but I wasn’t willing to risk inadvertently breaking a wire. Also, i wanted switched power that didn’t come on if sentry mode was active and if you tap the camera power lines I believe that it would power up if a sentry event occurred. It was super easy to run the power line down to the driver’s side and with the open connector available getting 12v was simple.
So far so good. I open the door and the radar det powers up. I get out of the car and shut the door and it powers down. Exactly how I was hoping it would work.

Reactions: CapsEngineer
Thanks for all the helpful information there @Grandpa Gebis

A thumbs down because?
I just found it funny to link something then say you're not sure if it works or not. It seems like the mirror tap idea might work into the harness for the dome lights, but won't be switched.

Anyways, sorry to have hurt your feelings by disagreeing with an emoji on a forum on the internet.

• Disagree
Reactions: Fourdoor
I just found it funny to link something then say you're not sure if it works or not. It seems like the mirror tap idea might work into the harness for the dome lights, but won't be switched.

Anyways, sorry to have hurt your feelings by disagreeing with an emoji on a forum on the internet.
No hurt feelings. Just not sure what was to disagree with the post. The only thing I could think of to disagree with it was that you knew it wouldn't work. If that were the case, I would hope you would have said something.

Reactions: mswlogo
Recommend checking out this thread. I believe the Model Y has the same connector in the driver’s footwell and should be a great place to pull a switched 12v. This is where I’m getting the power for my radar detector.

Hope this helps. Brian
Thanks. This was the same plug I found that had power. Also found in manual it states something about this being for the brake controller. Knowing it is switched and the adapter is readily available is a win. I’ll be ordering when I go to service center tomorrow about having the penthouse seal replaced.

what blue wire are we talking about. i just got the hard wire from amazon for my R3. how is everyone doing this, still a good setup?
It’s the wire that connects into the trailer brake harness. I just ordered the connector with pigtail for the trailer brake that I will use for hardwiring.

the wire and connector can be found behind the left kick panel on the driver side footwell.

It’s the wire that connects into the trailer brake harness. I just ordered the connector with pigtail for the trailer brake that I will use for hardwiring.

the wire and connector can be found behind the left kick panel on the driver side footwell.
so the same area as the model 3?

i remember doing this on my M3 years ago. and it sucked!