Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v battery depleted

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven’t driven my car for about 3 months (delivered end of December) and it’s been plugged in using the 120v charger. I’m wondering if it’s supposed to charge my battery too or was I supposed to put the 12v on a battery tender too? Not sure if this was related, but I was out of town and remote software upgraded to 2020.8.1 and the software update got stuck. So either the stuck software update killed the 12v battery and kept the vehicle from charging it or the 12v was dying before then.

We're lacking a lot of details, but there's nothing normal about the 12V going flat suddenly. As far as anyone seems to know, there should be no expectation that you keep the 12V battery on a separate charger.

Your theory (wonky state due to borked update) could have something to do with it, but that's far from normal. Tesla would probably be interested in knowing what happened with your car.

Is all well now? Has the battery been replaced?

I think the real lesson is don't do a remote software update when you're not near-isn your car. You don't lose out on anything by waiting until you get back into town.

I'd be more worried about your tires. Sitting for 3 months without moving has the extreme possibility of semi permanent flat spotting.

Reactions: toolman335
I haven’t driven my car for about 3 months (delivered end of December) and it’s been plugged in using the 120v charger. I’m wondering if it’s supposed to charge my battery too or was I supposed to put the 12v on a battery tender too? Not sure if this was related, but I was out of town and remote software upgraded to 2020.8.1 and the software update got stuck. So either the stuck software update killed the 12v battery and kept the vehicle from charging it or the 12v was dying before then.
Just a theory, but perhaps the stuck software update meant the computer wasn't monitoring the 12V anymore and that is why it died?

I've had the car on a lift so not worried about the tires so thanks for the concern. I have Tesla mobile coming out on Sunday to do whatever they are going to do, but yea I do think the botched software update caused the computers to be in limbo and prevented the car from charger. Lesson learned, no remote updates for me anymore.

I've had the car on a lift so not worried about the tires so thanks for the concern. I have Tesla mobile coming out on Sunday to do whatever they are going to do, but yea I do think the botched software update caused the computers to be in limbo and prevented the car from charger. Lesson learned, no remote updates for me anymore.
Oh thank goodness. I was worried for your tires! Good job man.

Tesla won’t send a mobile tech, they want me to come in. My car won’t start and I’m afraid what will happen when they try to tow it and it’s not in neutral. I asked if I can just buy a battery from them and replace it myself and drive it to them to diagnose, they said no and it would void my warranty if I replaced it myself. That seems a little ridiculous to me that a 12v battery replacement by yourself could void your warranty.

Tesla won’t send a mobile tech, they want me to come in. My car won’t start and I’m afraid what will happen when they try to tow it and it’s not in neutral. I asked if I can just buy a battery from them and replace it myself and drive it to them to diagnose, they said no and it would void my warranty if I replaced it myself. That seems a little ridiculous to me that a 12v battery replacement by yourself could void your warranty.

Nah, that's BS. Stand your ground. Tesla service is pretty bad (it apparently used to be better).

Do you have a mechanic or mechanically-inclined friend (or is this yourself)? The battery is easy to replace. I would do that and turn on the car, and get your mechanically-inclined person (or self) to verify the battery isn't just being drained (it should get topped up automatically - if it falls below 12.0V while the car is on, something is probably wrong).

Even if it costs you a battery, as long as you keep it in Drive, you should be able to get it to the Service Center. Though if it's not actually charging the battery, i guess that might not be true. Hmm.

EDIT: You're also entirely correct to worry about towing without it being it Tow Mode (which requires 12V!). Towing without Tow Mode is actually what could damage something and void your warranty, and they very explicitly warn about this in the manual!