Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v battery must be replaced soon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3 days ago my car broke down i couldn't open it and nothing was working. I called to customer service they eventually sent me towing truck after 6 hours waiting in the forest. The towing truck driver jumpstarted the car to put it into neutral mode. So the car turned on and i could drive by myself. So i didnt go to service centre because it was night and they wanted to tow it to service center wich 300 miles away from my home. I got home today and i got warning 12v battery must be replaced soon. I called to customer service and i was told to take my car to service center by myself because the car can shut down anytime and they dont cover towing twice per the same case. The service center is closed until monday and they dont want to cover rental car too. Its better for me to take my car to service center on Monday and if car shuts down to tow it. But I afraid would i be able to put my car in towing mode without replacing 12v battery if it shuts down again?

How old is the car/battery? If it’s not old, could there be a problem where the DC to DC converter(?) is not charging the 12 volt battery? I assume this covered by the standard Tesla warranty? I never had a ICE battery replaced before the warranty expired.

I thought the 12v is used to power up the main electronics and accessories and did not draw much power. That is not what I read on some sites. It commonly draws high current for a brief time and typically runs the battery down few times a day. I wonder what conditions does it deplete and shortens the battery life to make it worth while to get this:

https://www.ohmmu.com/learn-more

Some folks seem to have their’s replaced often.

We don’t drive our cars much due to CV, I am also waiting for my M3 A/C to be fixed in September so I’m rarely driving it. Would leaving it plugged in be better for the 12v? I was charging the battery only when it drops below 40% or lower, and charge only to 60% which could be couple of weeks. I now have it plugged in all the time @60% after reading on the Tesla more. It seems to draining 10% per week if I don’t drive it. Our family are rotating brief drives on 4 cars just to avoid the problems of not driving them. I can’t wait for our lives to return to normal.

+1 recommendation for a jump pack and/or charger. This is enough to "start" the car even if the 12V battery is dead or dying (once driving, it will get 12V from the main high voltage battery). Maybe go pick that up now if you can?

How old is the car/battery? If it’s not old, could there be a problem where the DC to DC converter(?) is not charging the 12 volt battery? I assume this covered by the standard Tesla warranty? I never had a ICE battery replaced before the warranty expired.

I thought the 12v is used to power up the main electronics and accessories and did not draw much power. That is not what I read on some sites. It commonly draws high current for a brief time and typically runs the battery down few times a day. I wonder what conditions does it deplete and shortens the battery life to make it worth while to get this:

We don’t drive our cars much due to CV, I am also waiting for my M3 A/C to be fixed in September so I’m rarely driving it. Would leaving it plugged in be better for the 12v? I was charging the battery only when it drops below 40% or lower, and charge only to 60% which could be couple of weeks. I now have it plugged in all the time @60% after reading on the Tesla more. It seems to draining 10% per week if I don’t drive it. Our family are rotating brief drives on 4 cars just to avoid the problems of not driving them. I can’t wait for our lives to return to normal.

Being plugged in shouldn't make any difference to the 12V battery. It will charge it as needed from the main pack, regardless of whether or not the car is plugged in.

I haven't confirmed, but the OEM supplier of the battery generally provides the warranty for batteries. For any replacement after the original, the battery carries a separate warranty.

If draining at 10% per week check out whether you have Summon Standby activated (its on by default), unless that's something you use.

Reactions: C141medic
OK I am really happy that Tesla has copied the Leaf HV and LV system.
If the 12v system fails, battery well you are as they say SOL.
Now as a electrical engineer I would say a high school kid would have
a better solution. My leaf had a 12v battery die and I could not push it off
a cliff. WOW tesla too!! No failsafe to go to the big battery. Instead of a spare
tire maybe we should get a spare battery.

EV Nation..............It doesn't do any good to carry a 12V pack in the car. When it dies you can't get in....and it can die without any warning,,,,,,,I know. Never count on a warning. The best indication is that the battery is about 2 years old....then be aware.

Well I would have loved to been in the design review of
the 12v system. If the battery fails then our "ISO" spec says
you are stuck either in or out ..SOL. At least Tesla should send
out xmas cards saying your battery is about to sh#t the bed. I am
sure some designer said, well you just push start it. Interesting!!

There are many causes, but the general perception based on responses to recent threads is about 2 years.

I will agree with you on the ICE, I just had to replace my Prius v 12v battery, it was OEM and lasted 6 years. Both cars are in a non-conditioned garage, which is currently pretty warm. If you can garage your cars it will keep everything from upholstery to batteries in better shape.

Reactions: sightman