Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12V battery source

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
T
I forgot to mention that shortly after I had the 12V battery replaced I noticed in the service menu that the 12V battery type no longer matched what was installed so I went ahead and changed it. Not sure if the technician even new about this setting or not. The previous battery had the red label. Given that the s/w has these settings for specific versions of the 12V battery I think I will just stick to OEM batteries.

View attachment 966323
He red one is an old model they don't use those anymore it's white tops the last 2 that I've bought

Sounds like the batter plus labor price, that's why I always install the battery myself.

Yup. It's a s**tshow.

I went back today to buy the battery, same SC -- and I got the $165+tax price ($177). So yeah, the moron at the desk yesterday was charging me for the battery+labor, EVEN AFTER ASKING HIM TWICE TO CONFIRM THAT IT WAS JUST THE PRICE of the battery alone.

I had a bad feeling during the entire transaction because he kept leaning forward to his screen like there was something he just didn't understand with that 'very puzzled' look on his face. It took him 15 minutes to just get the transaction started.

Contrast that to today I go in and there's a much more alert service person at the desk. Typed away for about 2 minutes, said the total was $177 and the battery will be right out. He charged my card on file and I was out in 5 minutes or so.

And in my post above where yesterday they charged me $30 for the cabin air filter (which I paid) which was originally $11.80 on the invoice -- yeah, that was ALSO INCLUDING LABOR.

I went back to the app today to request another cabin air filter for pickup -- price is $11.80. So I messaged back "why was I charged $30.82 yesterday for the exact same filter?" We'll see what they say. And hopefully the new guy will get some re-training on how to use their computer systems and not make these same mistakes again.

I forgot to mention that shortly after I had the 12V battery replaced I noticed in the service menu that the 12V battery type no longer matched what was installed so I went ahead and changed it. Not sure if the technician even new about this setting or not. The previous battery had the red label. Given that the s/w has these settings for specific versions of the 12V battery I think I will just stick to OEM batteries.

View attachment 966323
The software update for this may have happened after the battery R&R in which case the tech would have had no way to change it. My tech, who is very knowledgeable, said that the 12V battery on my 2018 MS 75D was plug and play so this new item in the service menu may have nothing to do with the 12V charging profile on our cars.

And in my post above where yesterday they charged me $30 for the cabin air filter (which I paid) which was originally $11.80 on the invoice -- yeah, that was ALSO INCLUDING LABOR.

Correction. I looked at the invoice, and this is what they did. When the service agent removed the carry-out battery, he also removed the CABIN FILTER. Then proceeded to add back a CARBON FILTER PLUS LABOR.

But now I have bigger problems because once I replaced the 12v, I'm getting a ton of BMS errors. :(

1692467213166.png

The software update for this may have happened after the battery R&R in which case the tech would have had no way to change it. My tech, who is very knowledgeable, said that the 12V battery on my 2018 MS 75D was plug and play so this new item in the service menu may have nothing to do with the 12V charging profile on our cars.
@electricar I am an engineer by trade and can't think of anything but a charging profile specific to what type of battery is installed as to the reason why this menu item exists. Please enlighten me as to other reasons. Thanks.

Great question. Looking back to when I replaced the 12V battery in my car I bought the battery from Tesla and installed it using the procedure in the service manual. The last step was to use the toolbox to change the configuration variable if you are changing the battery type unless you were changing from a red top to a gray top which was the case with my car. That is why mine was plug and play just like the tech and later the parts woman told when I bought the battery. There was no access to this part of the service menu when I did the 12V R&R. The only access was by a Tesla tech using the toolbox. This leads me to think that red top and gray top batteries were the same spec and that what you found in the service menu allows a DIYer to change the profile but that the profile for red and gray are the same. A typical case of hip shooting an answer on the web without the proper research.

Last edited: