Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12V battery source

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have any recommendations for a source for buying a 12V battery? I'm not interested in the lithium battery because I've heard that these can have issues when Tesla updates software. In my 2018 S, the first battery died after about 11 months. The replacement has lasted 4 years and I'm thinking about proactively replacing it now. When my first battery died, it was less than a week after getting the battery warning from the car, well before the mobile appointment.

Good news/bad news. Model S batteries are more expensive than the 3/Y, you're looking at $165ish. Now the good news is that your Model S is much easier to swap the 12V battery compared to the 2012-2014 Model S. Tesla will likely charge you less to change yours than they did for my 2013 which was $106. It looked like a PITA since the battery is heavy and tucked awkwardly into a cubby with not much access space. Oh and my low voltage battery warning was on for 14 months/15K miles. I was skeptical that it needed changing because it was only 2yrs/30K miles old and still never dropped below 12.8V from the nosecone posts.

You're best off buying the battery from Tesla it's is about $160 and they have them lying around most of the time so you can just walk in ask for parts rep and buy it on the spot. Or do an appointment but request an OTC purchase of a battery with no install. Unless of course you're one of those people that can't do simple maintenance like changing a 12v battery and want to waste money to have someone else do the work.

Just as a point of reference, I have battery in my June 2016 Model S replaced right at one year ago. Total cost, parts and installation via Tesla was $212.55. It's likely costs have increased in the past year, but I this is my most recent objective datapoint for full cost of replacement on a Model S of generally similar vintage.

There are some people that are more than technically/mechanically capable, have replaced many a battery in a multitude of vehicles over the past 40 years, but decide it's not worth their time doing it themselves. So please do not generalize or project your own values onto the decision criteria of others. There are a whole multitude of very legitimate reasons why one may not chose to do it themselves.

Reactions: electricar and vcor
By far, best source is a Tesla service center. Stop in, and ask for one. They can sell to you right then and there. They’ll even install it for a very nominal fee if you’re uncomfortable doing so. At least for Model 3, it runs $85. Model S/X aren’t much more.

Their pricing for 12V batteries literally can’t be beat.

Tesla directly is 100% the best route to go. I think for a Model S battery and install is only about $150.

Also make sure that you have the correct battery setup in the 2023.20.4.1 service menu: 2023.20.4.1 Service menu: low voltage battery option added

Good news/bad news. Model S batteries are more expensive than the 3/Y, you're looking at $165ish

You're best off buying the battery from Tesla it's is about $160

Total cost, parts and installation via Tesla was $212.55.

My 12v died without warning in my 2014 MS P85D.

No big deal, I've opened and closed the frunk a dozen times before. I remove the battery, go to the local Tesla SC (2 miles away, I'm lucky) and they want to charge me $226 just for the battery. And yes, it was the 1083774-00 PN battery.

I asked them why so expensive -- other folks are getting the same battery for A LOT less. They claimed it was "direct from the manufacturer" pricing. Yeah, sure it is. I also asked for a new cabin air filter which when it was paired with the battery, was just $11.50. But when they removed the battery as I still needed the filter, the filter price jumped in up to $29.50! I asked them about this, and of course I got a mealy-mouthed answer about the wrong part number. Sure it is.

Anyway, so much for the 'great deal' on the OEM $160 battery from Tesla. Where can I get the proper battery to replace it? Batteries+ here has a Duracell version for $99 (that's more like it), but they were OOS until next week. What about AGM batteries?

thanks.

edit: The Batteries+ Duracell battery has the wrong terminals: https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/sladc12=35j

Any viable options on Amazon.com

I might have no choice but to go crawling back to Tesla for the $220 battery. :(

Last edited:

No big deal, I've opened and closed the frunk a dozen times before. I remove the battery, go to the local Tesla SC (2 miles away, I'm lucky) and they want to charge me $226 just for the battery. And yes, it was the 1083774-00 PN battery.

I asked them why so expensive -- other folks are getting the same battery for A LOT less. They claimed it was "direct from the manufacturer" pricing. Yeah, sure it is. I also asked for a new cabin air filter which when it was paired with the battery, was just $11.50. But when they removed the battery as I still needed the filter, the filter price jumped in up to $29.50! I asked them about this, and of course I got a mealy-mouthed answer about the wrong part number. Sure it is.

Anyway, so much for the 'great deal' on the OEM $160 battery from Tesla. Where can I get the proper battery to replace it? Batteries+ here has a Duracell version for $99 (that's more like it), but they were OOS until next week. What about AGM batteries?

thanks.

edit: The Batteries+ Duracell battery has the wrong terminals: https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/sladc12=35j

I might have no choice but to go crawling back to Tesla for the $220 battery. :(

The early Model S battery is definitely more than the Model 3 $85 special. No question about it. $226 is just about right.

My '20 Model X just needed one - that was $165. (P/N 1046200-10-C) + $75.60 installation.

No complaints - not when the knockoff brand battery for my wife's former Enclave was $250+.

thanks.

Sounds like the batter plus labor price, that's why I always install the battery myself. If they say that's the price for just the part I'd show them the service invoices from all the folks on here that say it's $165 for the battery this invoice is from 4 Nov 22.

Screenshot_20230818-180940.png

thanks.

It depends on how handy you are, a variety of things can fit in there but securing the connections and elimination of any wiggle room is key.

Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
I forgot to mention that shortly after I had the 12V battery replaced I noticed in the service menu that the 12V battery type no longer matched what was installed so I went ahead and changed it. Not sure if the technician even new about this setting or not. The previous battery had the red label. Given that the s/w has these settings for specific versions of the 12V battery I think I will just stick to OEM batteries.

1692398594124.png

Last edited: