Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12V battery warning message MX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Tesla Community,

I have a 12V battery warning message coming up on my 2017 MX dash. I have scheduled service through the Tesla APP. However, the only available mobile service dates are 2 weeks out.

Q: When the warning message indicates "replace soon" is there a cushion of time? (been driving on a very limited basis)
and has anyone attempted replacing the 12V battery themselves? Has anyone bought and installed an Ohmmu 12V lithium battery? (I'm seeing some YouTube DIY videos on it)

Thanks in advance,

-Rob

Hello Tesla Community,
I have a 12V battery warning message coming up on my 2017 MX dash. I have scheduled service through the Tesla APP. However, the only available mobile service dates are 2 weeks out.
Q: When the warning message indicates "replace soon" is there a cushion of time? (been driving on a very limited basis)
and has anyone attempted replacing the 12V battery themselves? Has anyone bought and installed an Ohmmu 12V lithium battery? (I'm seeing some YouTube DIY videos on it)
Thanks in advance,
-Rob
You can do it yourself. Service manual on doing the First responder loop. Reverse steps to put it back in.
I had to get mine replaced while I was on a road trip recently. The service center was close to being closed and wasn't sure I'd make it in time. They'd sell you a battery with no core charge (ala autozone).
I'm likely getting the Ohmmu in 2.5 years when I replace mine. It is in the electronic calendar.
uvwzVF6.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: KerryOH
I got an ohmmu as well for my 2017 X. I watched them install it since they are local for me. It takes about half an hour to take out the frunk tub with something like 19 screws and the HEPA filter, replace the battery, and reassemble everything. Nothing hard, but not as simple as in the good old days. Tesla does use a battery that you are not likely to find at a local parts store.

My wife's 3 had the 12V battery die. The next SC appointment was in two weeks. The car was making a whining sound 24/7. She was worried enough to just drive it to the SC. They fixed it in about half an hour, without an appointment, under warranty. Much cheaper than my ohmmu!

Try showing up at the SC and looking helpless. Or do it yourself. Or wait for your appointment.

Reactions: GaryBowler and VikH