Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v wire tap for Radar Detector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys want to hard wire my R3 into a 12v source wire. Earlier this week I saw some video's I thought on this forum showing two good spots to hook into.....one was under the drivers side door kick plate, another spot was into a plug above the drivers side foot well. For the life of me I can't find this info now, was looking for some help here.

Anyone have a link for one of these??

Yes thanks, that's one of them.....and I recall reading that many had a terrible time reaching that plug, I'm a little concerned I may not be able to reach it.

I just found the video for option 2 in the door jam.....has anyone else tried this??

This 2nd one looks easier but means using a T-Tap to connect directly to that wire.....also, I don't have a method to measure current to verify I have the right wire, maybe need to buy a meter?? Does anyone know what gauge that wire is? I used this method in my wife's Volvo, I have 16 gauge T-Taps and it worked fine.

Yes thanks, that's one of them.....and I recall reading that many had a terrible time reaching that plug, I'm a little concerned I may not be able to reach it.

I just found the video for option 2 in the door jam.....has anyone else tried this??

This 2nd one looks easier but means using a T-Tap to connect directly to that wire.....also, I don't have a method to measure current to verify I have the right wire, maybe need to buy a meter?? Does anyone know what gauge that wire is? I used this method in my wife's Volvo, I have 16 gauge T-Taps and it worked fine.

I used this one with the T-Tap for my Valentine One. Super easy to set up and wire. Ran the wire up the drivers side, up across to the mirror, and have the wire coming out there to my Valentine on the Blendmount. Super satisfied with this.

I just went through this exercise myself. I personally prefer the 1st method partly due to the non-destructive plug-in nature of it. Indeed very tricky to locate and visualize for the first time, but now I can do it with my eyes closed. This video might shed more light for you.

I just went through this exercise myself. I personally prefer the 1st method partly due to the non-destructive plug-in nature of it. Indeed very tricky to locate and visualize for the first time, but now I can do it with my eyes closed. This video might shed more light for you.

Thanks, I think I'll try this first, and if I can't see the dang plug then will got to method 2.

Okay, just worked on this for an hour.....I can't for the life of me figure out how to do either method. I pulled all the panels out for both methods, flashed lights all over.

For method one to plug into the port, there are tons of wires and ports up there but nothing that looks remotely like what this guy points out. No clue how to find it. I've put my head into contortions like never before trying to see inside.

For method two using a T-Tap.....there are a crap load of wires all wrapped up, I see every color but only see gray color for larger wires as he describes. Getting to this would involve unwrapping all the wires and pulling it out from deep within the wrap.....I just don't feel comfortable screwing around with that.....plus I have no amp meter to measure current to positively ID the right wire. While pulling the panels out also, I damaged the pin at top holding the door jam panel in, the pin is loose now, may have to try to get a new one from Tesla.

Cripes, I'm 60 years old and been hard wiring radar detectors for 30 years, this one is ridiculous. I'm almost willing to pay someone to do it right for me now, but not sure where to look???

• Funny
Reactions: lUtriaNt

I recorded a video when I did it a while back. I was to lazy to edit and post it but since you are having trouble, I'm posting it now.
The connector is further back (or forward) than it appears.When you are attempting to plug it in, it feels like it is way back there.

Reactions: RobRain

I recorded a video when I did it a while back. I was to lazy to edit and post it but since you are having trouble, I'm posting it now.
The connector is further back (or forward) than it appears.When you are attempting to plug it in, it feels like it is way back there.

Thanks I’ll head back out and try again. For that option 1 plug, did you just remove the one panel that holds the foot LED light?

Last edited:
Yes, just the one panel. The only other thing I removed was the rivet clip thing that holds the air duct in place. Removing it allowed me to bend the plastic out the way a little. This gives you a little more wiggle room.

I plugged it by feel only. First I felt the big loom of wires and then felt for the connector.

The connector is not in plain view. It is above the area of your camera perspective behind the panels. You must reach up towards the roof from behind the panels.

Also do you already have a wire on 5mm spade connector ready to plug in? Something else I had to find out the hard way was to make sure the spade used is low profile or it may not fit into the receptacle completely.

Last edited:
oh man, I just tried again contorting my head like an owl, reaching up behind the last panel still in there, I can't see nor feel the damn thing. In fact I don't feel any plugs at all up behind that last panel.....I can see most of what's up there, no plugs at all. Most all wires and plugs are already exposed on the side that I've opened up. There has to be an easier way.....I recall someone removed the cover to the 12V plug in the console and just T-Tap'd directly onto the wire there, maybe that's what I should do??

Made this video for ya to better guide you ... hopefully.

No, must be a 5mm spade. Some spades, like mine, has plastic insulation with a skirt that flanks out. I had to trim the skirt away. Note the spade should also be aligned with the open end facing towards the front of the car. There’s a good amount of insertion before it bottoms out. You’ll know the connection is good when it feels nice and snug.

Last edited:
ok thanks, I think I found it, at least I can see it barely, white plug with 6 positions, bottom left two have black wires going to them...the plug is attached to that plastic board up there, permanently. I can barely reach it with one finger through all the wires, I'm honestly not sure I could get in there to put a wire in, my hand doesn't fit?? Feels like I'll disconnect or break some of the existing wire runs.

noted also that I need a low profile 5mm spade....blahh....back to home depot.....