Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v wire tap for Radar Detector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hate to dig this back up, but sheesh this car is a pain. Looking at all these threads, I have the turqoise wire that is def feeding 12v, but the radar never shuts off. I don't have that gray blue wire isolated, only twisted with a red.

So far the Turquoise works, but it never shuts off, and there is an isolated red wire that works also, but still testing to see if it will turn off. This car is bonkers.

Hate to dig this back up, but sheesh this car is a pain. Looking at all these threads, I have the turqoise wire that is def feeding 12v, but the radar never shuts off. I don't have that gray blue wire isolated, only twisted with a red.

So far the Turquoise works, but it never shuts off, and there is an isolated red wire that works also, but still testing to see if it will turn off. This car is bonkers.

Ok it's not just me. I'm not seeing the light blue wire. I did this on my Y and it was no issue. I might have to rip that one open to compare and contrast. Was hoping to avoid that.

Nevermind. Blue wire is in there but buried deep. With the 2020 Y it was easy to find, with the 2021 P3 buried and it seemed like more wires. V1 installation complete. My 3rd 3/Y V1 hardwire and I finally perfected it. :)

If anyone has any questions feel free to PM me.

B42023CA-97ED-4306-AB46-6F27CA84927A.jpeg

Reactions: xasroma

Does your radar detector have an auto off function? Mine is set to turn off if no GPS movement is detected for 30 min or something like that

Sorry I don't have answers to any of those questions. I did do a huge amount of research about this and ended up doing it the way I previously described. Everything works great and I wouldn't change any aspect of it for any reason. Good luck!
For the 2021 M3P, did you use more than the HT-1096? It seems like the way it is mounted on the wire is using some sort of cool little splitter, not the usual tedious method of exposing the wire gently, then twisting it around it etc.. Could you share a link? Is that an additional item?

Sorry I don't have answers to any of those questions. I did do a huge amount of research about this and ended up doing it the way I previously described. Everything works great and I wouldn't change any aspect of it for any reason. Good luck!
Unfortunately, at least for the 23 MY texas build, the blue wire is constant power. I wired everything up and my dash cam stayed on even after I left and locked the car. Back to the drawing board.

Are you positive it doesn’t turn off after a little while when the car goes to sleep? My radar stays on when I walk away, maybe for a while, but it does go to sleep. As soon as I do something to wake the car the radar beeps to life.
Crap, I just realized I was plugged in and charging when I was doing this. It might be why the camera didnt shut off. Ill have to take apart and wire everything up again tomorrow to confirm.

Reactions: phantasms
I did the blue wire tap too and it will shut off when I’m home(sentry mode off) but it doesn’t shut off when I’m not home even with sentry off. Does anyone else have this problem? I have august 2022 built 2022 model 3 perf.