Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12V wire tap for radar detectors in Model 3 Highland

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So everything in the video was the same in your refreshed model 3, including removing the kick panel, weather strips, mirror/camera housing and everything? Picking up my Model 3 Performance next week and was hoping to find some verification that you can still follow the instructions in this video with the new model 3 :)
The trim on the side of the glove box is slightly different but in general it’s the same steps.

The trim on the side of the glove box is slightly different but in general it’s the same steps.
Funny enough that’s my video and here i am searching for a way to ground the bitch. I too noticed where the old bolt went, is a ground already attached. So you haven’t had any problems without grounding the wiretap? Also seems the blendmount works too even though blendmount says it doesn’t.

I grounded my wiretap to the existing bolt instead of using a new bolt.
Ah that makes sense. Just to confirm, it’s this bolt and you just slapped the ground behind the existing ground? Also, someone commented on my video that the wire i showed didn’t work in their highland but you’re saying it did work?

Attachments

• IMG_4572.jpeg
    IMG_4572.jpeg
    506 KB · Views: 8
Ah that makes sense. Just to confirm, it’s this bolt and you just slapped the ground behind the existing ground? Also, someone commented on my video that the wire i showed didn’t work in their highland but you’re saying it did work?
Yes that is the ground I used.

The darker red wire in this bundle from your video is the one I used. It doesn’t switch on when the brake pedal is pressed, instead it switches on when the door is opened.

IMG_4129.jpeg

I am also using the same blendmount I used in my 2019 Model 3 (even though blendmount themselves says it doesn’t work). It does work, though it hangs the detector about 0.5” lower than I would prefer.

Last edited:
looks awesome, thanks!.....I had my old one mounted further in front on the window, this way I didn't need to deal with the airbag in the A pillar when mounting on the mirror bracket, but yours looks extremely clean. Good to know the Blendmount fits because their web site isn't listing the highland yet.

No it isn't in Tesla cars with a 16V battery. The actual voltage at the lighter socket is about 15V.
Correct and correct. Luckily a lot of car appliances are 12-24V to support 24V RVs. I had a brief scare when I took that voltage until I remembered my car fridge was meant for car+RV. Verify your radar detector can also do dual voltage before plugging it in! Edit- 2024 M3P

Attachments

• 20240611_210008.jpg
    20240611_210008.jpg
    339.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240611_205522.jpg
    20240611_205522.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited: