Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yah! someone did it recently and commented on the video. It's the same thing. However, no HOT power when in PARK. It turns hot when in drive which is actually better
Oh that’s excellent. Glad to hear I can tap the same power, and yes, definitely better that having the car in park turns off the RD. I often take work meetings from my car during the day and I’ve had embarrassing situations in the past where it goes off.

The last post on this thread seems to indicate that there may be variations and some may not have this harness with green hot wire? I would do it myself but have to get the darn car first :)

The last post on this thread seems to indicate that there may be variations and some may not have this harness with green hot wire? I would do it myself but have to get the darn car first :)

Just saw that.. Weird. Maybe the owner didn't have HW4? Those pics look different!

Reactions: sbkim
Someone commented on the video they were able to do it with HW4. The green wire is not in the same spot. Model S at least its tucked near the headliner and attached to the main housing cover. Pull the mirror and turn the housing towards the drivers side and then the wire will be exposed

IMG_2815.jpeg

I thought I’d share: the black and green connector IS still in there on my oct 23 X. Way in the back of the camera housing now. Unfortunately I didn’t heed Chris’s warning and tried to reuse one of my existing MirrorTaps and the blade is too thick. You need a super super small needle sized tapper and even that is hard to get in, especially in that position at the back of the mirror housing. The wires back there are pretty taught.

I gave up at least until my next MirrorTap comes in.

View attachment 987626

I thought I’d share: the black and green connector IS still in there on my oct 23 X. Way in the back of the camera housing now. Unfortunately I didn’t heed Chris’s warning and tried to reuse one of my existing MirrorTaps and the blade is too thick. You need a super super small needle sized tapper and even that is hard to get in, especially in that position at the back of the mirror housing. The wires back there are pretty taught.

I gave up at least until my next MirrorTap comes in.
I see it now. All the way in the back next to the red plug.

I have HW4 and I finally saw the green and black wires in the back but like mention by chillaban, it is nearly impossible to get the mirror taps inserted as space is limited and connectors super thin. I also gave up and went another route that requires running wires. Super easy btw and given the cabin camera already needing to be replaced a week after delivery, I did not want to mess something up by accidentally shorting it out. I updated my other post and mentioned the parts I used along with the thread that explains everything. FYI, the plastic bar that goes from the mirror up to the headliner is not glued in place, the track it snaps into is. So it easily pops right off and snaps back into place. This is for folks who do not want the deal with taping into power. You can simply run a long rj11 from the mirror up to the headliner and then down to the center console and plug it directly into the cig lighter. I spliced into the cig wires from behind to keep the cig port free. Both methods are great options!

Reactions: chillaban
I have HW4 and I finally saw the green and black wires in the back but like mention by chillaban, it is nearly impossible to get the mirror taps inserted as space is limited and connectors super thin. I also gave up and went another route that requires running wires. Super easy btw and given the cabin camera already needing to be replaced a week after delivery, I did not want to mess something up by accidentally shorting it out. I updated my other post and mentioned the parts I used along with the thread that explains everything. FYI, the plastic bar that goes from the mirror up to the headliner is not glued in place, the track it snaps into is. So it easily pops right off and snaps back into place. This is for folks who do not want the deal with taping into power. You can simply run a long rj11 from the mirror up to the headliner and then down to the center console and plug it directly into the cig lighter. I spliced into the cig wires from behind to keep the cig port free. Both methods are great options!

yeah running a long cable through that tunnel is my Plan B now. The new position of that green connector is definitely challenging for tapping as really it has to be the top side and where it clips into place gives very little room. Not to mention I really don’t like having hot and ground being so close to each other — most mirrors put power and ground far from each other so even a slightly dislodged tap can’t short.

Reactions: SunnySideUp
Would the 90 degree tap work? Or just not enough room to even start the insert?

This seems like it’s probably bigger and not the smaller size needed.
IMO those blades are too thick/wide. These aren't like those Ford monster sized molex things with plenty of rooms to shove in a metal blade like that. I think we have a double whammy here:
  1. You need a thin thin needle-sized tap to fit inside the back of the connector, just like the one Chris showed in the video.
  2. To make matters worse, the position of the connector gives very little leverage / room behind the connector, so indeed that 90-degree tap design would be awesome but I'm not sure a 90-degree thin tap has any structural integrity?
Let me know if you find something like that. I'm a little afraid to disassemble the wiring more to figure out if I can get more elbow room but maybe I'll pop the plastic tunnel and see if that gives me a better angle to approach the green/black connector

IMO those blades are too thick/wide. These aren't like those Ford monster sized molex things with plenty of rooms to shove in a metal blade like that. I think we have a double whammy here:
  1. You need a thin thin needle-sized tap to fit inside the back of the connector, just like the one Chris showed in the video.
  2. To make matters worse, the position of the connector gives very little leverage / room behind the connector, so indeed that 90-degree tap design would be awesome but I'm not sure a 90-degree thin tap has any structural integrity?
Let me know if you find something like that. I'm a little afraid to disassemble the wiring more to figure out if I can get more elbow room but maybe I'll pop the plastic tunnel and see if that gives me a better angle to approach the green/black connector
It fits with the THINNEST one. It's in my video. But yeah the connector is tight. In my Y I routed it to the cig outlet and used one of those splitters so I had 3 cig outlet plugs. Works great!

I can confirm that following these instructions I was able to use a mirror tap with my 2023 Model X with HW4.S
So which wire tap kit did you use for your install?

I understand its the thinnest pin option, just wondering if everyone has been picking up the same tap kits or are there other options.

I still need to check to see if my Model 3 Blendmount bracket fits the new X mirror stem. I know they had two option online.