Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

'13 -14' Model S vs. 17'-18' Bolt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking to find a low 20k car. I can find Chevy Bolt in this category, but the cheapest Model S is around 30k. A S60 might be less. We had a 2013 Model S P85, sold for our Model X. Now I'm thinking of going back.

Other than MCU, and no warranty...what issues would you expect? I'm not finding many threads about owners who still have these early model years.

Thanks!

Would you consider a sr+ model 3 instead?
You’ll have access to the latest tech (fast MCU, autopilot etc...), warranty and a better car.

If you have to go used, I would much rather go with an older tesla than bolt. At least tesla cares about their EV cars and has been proven to last. Software updates also keep the cars refreshed to a certain extent.

It seems almost impossible to go to a sub-par ugly vehicle such as the Bolt after owning a Model S or a Model X. If you do purchase the Bolt, you will get buyer's remorse in the worst way. My 2014 Model S is still holding out great after 171,866 miles and counting.

There is a 2015 85D for 35K here in the Phoenix area.

Brent

I haven't supercharged since the last update but that is a good point few weeks ago when I did supercharger speed was down dramatically. Enough to be a problem road tripping.
I don't think I saw over 266miles per hour even below 20% and had navigated an hour to the charger so it should have been conditioned and warm.

Bolt could not do a road trip to New York. I did a road trip in a 2014 Model S over 3 years ago. The Bolt is a compliance car and no one should ever buy it. Chevrolet should have come out with an all-electric Camaro available in all 50 states - then I would have bought a car from Chevrolet.

Brent

The battery range of my 2014 S85 is great...still charges to 253 miles. The supercharger throttling is extremely real though. I rarely get over 50kW at any supercharger anymore. I don't take many road trips, but this could be a huge deal for many that do.

I have both a 2019 Bolt and a 2013 Model S P85+. The bolt is much more efficient than my P85+. I easily get 250 miles + on the bolt of real world range on a full charge. The model S on the other hand with the staggered 21" wheels and summer tires, I only get around 175 miles even though the indicator shows 228 miles on 90% charge. Also, the bolt charges faster on a 30A level 2 chargepoint charger we have at work at about 25 mi/hr vs 19 mi/hr on the model S. The model S is much nosier than the bolt. I got alot of wind noise on the highway. The bolt sounds super quiet. I'm a pretty thin guy and the bolt seats are fine for me. The acceleration is good enough for a daily commuter car and it still handles pretty well.

The turn in is faster than my p85+ and feels like a go kart in comparison. RWD on the model S on the other hand is great as I can put the power down without wheel spin or torque steer. The model S holds alot more cargo, especially with the older frunk and the microwave box.

• Informative
Reactions: Cheburashka
Meh, in that price range I think the Bolt is better value, will charge faster on L2 and L3, will still have full warranty, less squeaks, and will be cheap to repair in case you scratch it or something.

If you find a Premier with Driver Confidence package you'll also get things like blind spot detection which you won't get in the S.

You also get Android Auto/Carplay and won't have to deal with slow and potentially worn out MCU1.

I'd get the Bolt.