Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

14-30 charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is not true.

The UL standard requires that the breaker trip within 2 hours at 135% of its current rating. It does not permit it to carry 40 amps "continuously" (although it could up to 2 hours).

As noted, a 30A breaker will not trip at 30.00001A. Sometimes it will trip at 28A if in direct sun in a small pedestal, or 50A after a few minutes.

Exactly!

The typical Thermal-Magnetic circuit breaker is an analog device that has a magnetic trip mechanism that will trip very quickly for very high (short-circuit) currents and a bi-metallic strip that takes time to heat up and trip the breaker at currents near the rated current. The higher the over-current, the quicker the trip. Also, because the bi-metallic strip has to heat up to trip the breaker, cold temperatures will let it carry more current for a longer time. For example, I believe that the requirement to trip in 2 hours with a 135% current is at a nominal ambient temperature. At lower temps, it will take more current and/or more time.

A good practical, introductory document on how circuit breakers work is at Basics of Circuit Breakers — Siemens Technical Education Program. For these discussions, jump ahead to page 17 and pages 26-27.

I have a 14-30 outlet installed in my garage. I plugged my UMC in and forgot to Dial the charging draw down on the vehicle. It charged just fine at 40amps. Even charged at full speed of 28mph.

It got me wondering why the heck didn't it pop the 30amp circuit breaker that outlet is wired to. The UMC draws 40amps. I can view my household electrical use in real time via my "smart meter" and confirmed the charging did in fact draw the full 40Amps. Hmmmmm.

Everything I have read on this forum indicated that the breaker should pop if I don't dial down the charging amperage to about 24amps.

I think I have found the answer and I would like to vet it to the tesla community knowledge base.

The answer, I believe, lies in the fact that a 10-30 outlet is rated at 30amps PER POLE. Each wire and each breaker and each contact is rated for 30amps. Making it a 60amp outlet.

Can someone try and punch holes in this? I have done a lot of research and I am also an aircraft electrician by trade so I do have a firm grasp of electrical theory. It's just that my conclusion runs counter to every other thread I've found on this Forum.

Um, no, that just means it would be rated at 60 amps for 120 volts, but it's still 30 amps for 240 volts. Your breaker is defective or you didn't charge long enough. My in-laws have the same setup and unless I dial it down to 32 amps, it will blow the breaker eventually. At 40 amps, it took about 20 minutes.

Um, no, that just means it would be rated at 60 amps for 120 volts, but it's still 30 amps for 240 volts. Your breaker is defective or you didn't charge long enough. My in-laws have the same setup and unless I dial it down to 32 amps, it will blow the breaker eventually. At 40 amps, it took about 20 minutes.

Not quite. 30A is 30A is 30A. A breaker labeled 30A will permit only 30A to flow through any wire attached to the breaker.

On a 240V circuit, the power is supplied via two ungrounded conductors ("hot" relative to neutral). Because these are both ungrounded conductors, they must both be protected against overcurrent (return to the grounded conductor). This is why 240V breakers are dual-pole and double-wide -- each conductor is protected. The internals of these breakers are nearly the same as the internals of two stacked single-pole breakers. The handles are tied together so it will disconnect both conductors if one trips.

On a 120V circuit, the power is supplied via one ungrounded conductor ("hot") and the grounded conductor ("neutral"). Because the grounded conductor is 0V relative to ground, it does not need to be protected with overcurrent protection (fuse/breaker).

So it's not rated for 60A for 120V. If you were to use a double-pole breaker for a 120V circuit (by piping the neutral through the other side of the double-pole breaker), it would still limit the current to 30A - you wouldn't get 60A.

- - - Updated - - -

The answer, I believe, lies in the fact that a 10-30 outlet is rated at 30amps PER POLE. Each wire and each breaker and each contact is rated for 30amps. Making it a 60amp outlet.

For the same reason I describe above, it's not a 60A outlet. In a circuit, you don't count power_in + power_out... there's only 30A flowing, whether it's between "hot 1" and "hot 2" (240V), or "hot 1" and "neutral" (120V).

Your breaker didn't trip because they can be overdrawn for periods of time. I mentioned the standard, above, which requires a breaker trip at 135% of load within 2 hours.

I only meant that you could use the two circuits separately on two different devices and pull 60 amps of 120 between them. I wasn't proposing you could pull a single 60 amp load for one 120 volt device.
I figured that, but I would call that two individual circuits of 30A each to avoid confusion.